Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a bit of ~90km jitters. It's not wheel balance, bearings are good, all steering ball joints seem good, damper is probably stuffed, but that's probably not it either. If I set wheel alignment by string (1mm toe in) then the jitters go away for a week or two, then come back. Yes - I paid dearly for a professional wheel alignment, where they charged a premium because it was a 4WD, and it was exactly the same as when I do it myself - a temporary fix. Later I find out that all they did was adjust toe-in, which is easy to do yourself.
So I suppose it's the panhard bushes which I guess are 22 years old. Is there some way to check these on the truck?

·
Registered
Nissan
587 Posts
Have someone turn the steering back and forth and check for movement at both ends of the Panhard. Chances are though that they are worn as its not easy too see, until you remove them from the bar plus if they are there that long (22 years) they must be flogged out.

·
Registered
Nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I can't see any movement in the chassis end, but perhaps there's 1mm movement at the axle end. Is that enough to cause problems?
From posts in these forums, I understand that OEM is the way to go with these bushes, and that a press is needed to remove/refit. Can anyone recommend someone in Christchurch NZ who does this at a fair price?

·
Registered
Nissan
587 Posts
Thanks for that. I can't see any movement in the chassis end, but perhaps there's 1mm movement at the axle end. Is that enough to cause problem

I think the best way is to take them off and have a look, as if there is movement, that means they are far gone.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,695 Posts
Thanks for that. I can't see any movement in the chassis end, but perhaps there's 1mm movement at the axle end. Is that enough to cause problems?
From posts in these forums, I understand that OEM is the way to go with these bushes, and that a press is needed to remove/refit. Can anyone recommend someone in Christchurch NZ who does this at a fair price?
FreddyN...This is an Australian forum mate.

Try www.Offroadexpress.co.nz for any specific questions regarding workshops etc.

The short answer would be

4WD Upgrades on Brougham St
4WD Accessories Ltd, Montreal St.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,807 Posts
any mechanic shop will press them in and out for you.

·
Registered
Nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I called the local Nissan dealer, and they tell me that they don't list the bushes, but a new rod with bushes. So I say that on the 'net, consensus seems to be that OEM Nissan bushes are preferable, and that people elsewhere seem to be able to get them. So he says okay, if they can get them, then perhaps they can tell me the part number, as then he will be able to look them up.
Does anyone know the Nissan part # for front panhard bushes?
There are a lot of old Safari's here in NZ, and this seems to be a common problem. It surprises me that the Nissan parts rep responded that way.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay - thanks for that. Nissan has those parts in stock.
A surprise is that a pair of the OEM Nissan bushes are less expensive - just a little over half - than aftermarket urethane bushes.
I took the rod off, and need to recheck as part number marked on the chassis-end bush is 01J20, not 01J10, but it looks the same.
But the old bushes look fine. If I get a bar in the sleeve and heave away, then I can compress the rubber a bit, perhaps they're supposed to be firmer, but I don't know. The sleeves are also not showing any sign of being "flogged out". The movement I can see if someone's flicking the wheel from side to side is the rubber compressing, not a flogged-out sleeve or collapsed rubber. I've tended to go around under the truck when greasing things over the past 12 years I've owned it, and spray a bit of silicone oil in and around bushes etc. and the truck doesn't do a lot off-road.
So what do you think? Should I change them anyway, or start looking somewhere else to fix my steering wobble woes?

·
Registered
Nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you checked the knuckle bearings?
I can't see any movement / looseness with a pry bar, and there's no knocks or sounds from any of the joints. No freeplay in the steering. It just passed WOF checks a few weeks ago, where they actually did give it a good going over - sometimes they just glance at it and sign the paperwork.

I know my front shocks are a bit tired, but they still work/no leaks, and it rides okay. The steering damper is also probably shot.
Perhaps it's just tyres - they have always worn very evenly, so there's nothing major wrong with alignment. Out of balance jitters also seems to kick-in at about the same speed with 310s, so it's hard to tell. Tomorrow I'll rotate the wheels and see how it goes at 90km/h. I had a bad run with some Bridgestone AT tyres that went out of balance like crazy, needed masses of lead to balance from new, and re-balanced about every 10,000km or less. With still about 1/2 tread left, the tyre guy was at his limit, couldn't get them right. The rims are good. I've put cheap chinese tyres on it now, they balanced up good from new, and despite low price and expectation that wet grip etc would suck, they actually seem very good, but perhaps too good to be true...

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,695 Posts
If you ever decide to get another wheel alignment done then I recommend Lay****s Collision repairs & Tyre services on Durham St. Had a BIG problem on my Terrano years ago which went bad (shoddy wheel alignment by another firm). Anyhow it resulted in an insurance job as the wheel fell off!!

AMI strongly suggested Lay****s as they do chassis straightening and commercial/truck chassis etc.

Lay****s fixed it for me...I also put my Safari through them a couple of months ago just for a general check and alignment, They gave me a full printout and it only cost 75 drinking vouchers ;).

Blimmin spell block....thats Lay..c..o..c..k..s LOL

·
Registered
Nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I refit the panhard without replacing bushes. When refitting, then you can see how much a little looseness in the panhard bushes translates to quite a big movement in toe-in/out. Took it for a test run in the country, and alignment seems to shift a bit - sometimes it's fine at 90km/h and the steering feels good, sometimes a little shimmy and the steering feels a bit wandery.
So, I think even though the bushes seem to be reasonable, I'll replace them, as that little movement that I can see where the rubber compresses is probably enough to cause the alignment problem I have - ie hit a bump in the road and it'll settle back in a slightly different position.

·
Registered
Nissan
587 Posts
I refit the panhard without replacing bushes. When refitting, then you can see how much a little looseness in the panhard bushes translates to quite a big movement in toe-in/out. Took it for a test run in the country, and alignment seems to shift a bit - sometimes it's fine at 90km/h and the steering feels good, sometimes a little shimmy and the steering feels a bit wandery.
So, I think even though the bushes seem to be reasonable, I'll replace them, as that little movement that I can see where the rubber compresses is probably enough to cause the alignment problem I have - ie hit a bump in the road and it'll settle back in a slightly different position.
Interesting observation as my left tyre has always worn more on the outside, since i have gotten mine. When I went to the alignment stand they did tell me to change the radius arm bushings as well as the panhard bushings and some of the ones in the rear as well. I hadnt thought that problems with the panhard bushings would cause alignment problems.

·
Registered
Nissan
587 Posts
Plus my left wheel also seems to have a slight lean outwards. I will be replacing the panhard bushings hopefully this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts