Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering re-powering from a 3L TD to a Chev 6.5L intercooled TD. Current ZD30 engine has 165000km and I've lost confidence in it to do what we want. I know these conversions have been going on for a while now. What are the positives and negatives of this change? Also there is a guy doing these modifications near Albury but on the Vic side of the border. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

dthomo (Newbie)

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Theres about 200 threads on the chev conversions. Its a long term investment at over 20k.

look in the GU section :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. This is for the long term and the other alternatives that suit us were just as pricy or more. For example there's a place in Sydney putting 4.2TD into 3L Patrols and he's $25k. A new vehicle is out of the question and at least we know the car we have. I have read the other threads and there seem to have been some overheating issues early on but has that changed? And what is the long term reliability like? There must be quite a few of these 4WD's out there now. How are they standing up to the test of time? All the owners have spent a lot of cash, do they still see value for money after the first five years or so?

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
Australian 4WD Action | Forum - View topic - Chev 6.5L Diesel Engine Tips and Tricks

There is a decent amount of reading matter here if you want to go through it all.

I have a 6.5 (naturally aspirated) and I don't think I'll ever bother with adding a turbo. It does everything I want it to do now, without the added hassles associated with a turbo and intercooler. I say "hassles" because there have been some issues of overheating in the turbo'd engines, but I don't think it's all that prevalent.

Let's get one or 2 things straight.

Firstly I do love my big old Chev.

Secondly, they are NOT everyone's cup of tea. They are a big, heavy, slow revving lump. They're like a class full of 14 year old boys (ie: they'll happily pull all day long) ;)

I often joke that mine has great acceleration; I can beat a B-double in a traffic light drag just about every time.!!!!! hahahaha

Not sure how much value you can place on the GROWL factor, but jeez they sound the business (in my opinion)!!!!

Anyway, very expensive to do a conversion....long term project; you need to be sure you're gunna keep the rig for at least 5 to 10 years cos you'll never make your money back if you try to sell it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts