Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
nissan swb gq
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy im looking at gettin a new dog and I'm after a good guard dog I bin lookin at American bulldogs but have read they can jump over 6 ft in the air I'm a bit worried about it jumping my 5ft fence when it eventually grows up. I supose I could just extend the fence some [email protected] would like to know other medium sized guard dogs and your opinion

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
I'd get a Blue Heeler. They are fairly small and travel easy but are very defensive of their property and people. They also are very smart.

I wouldn't say an American Bull Dog is smart. I once knew one which would constantly head butt his fence at full charge when anyone walked by. Funny as hell - not that i would try to provoke him. ;)

Here, loggers and ranchers often have one or two Blue Healers which work with them. They can leave all their gear and tools in the back of the truck and no one would dare trying to reach in. I do remember hearing a few pot-heads tried reaching into the pickups and had their hands and arms tenderized. I guess even pot-heads aren't as dumb as a Bull Dog.

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
Hi there,
I have a 7 m onth old Scott or sports type American Bulldog. So far I couldn't ask for a better dog............highly recommend. There have been no health issues and she is never nervous. Easy to train and very energetic. As always, buy from a reputable breeder and view parents etc

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
I'd get a Blue Heeler. They are fairly small and travel easy but are very defensive of their property and people. They also are very smart.

I wouldn't say an American Bull Dog is smart. I once knew one which would constantly head butt his fence at full charge when anyone walked by. Funny as hell - not that i would try to provoke him. ;)

Here, loggers and ranchers often have one or two Blue Healers which work with them. They can leave all their gear and tools in the back of the truck and no one would dare trying to reach in. I do remember hearing a few pot-heads tried reaching into the pickups and had their hands and arms tenderized. I guess even pot-heads aren't as dumb as a Bull Dog.
i agree , a blue healer is an awsome dog , very smart and learn very easily, but they will get bored easily as well, as for being a guard dog well..... they tend to let people in but they wont let them back out , so yes not only a good guard dog but will also apprehend a would be theif or attacker aswell :)

·
Registered
nissan swb gq
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A blue heeler hi a wicked dog ive got a heeler cross staffy, and his a hell smart dog I trained him up to bark at natives and defend the property he can even get the mail and newspaper. Sadly his probaly on his last legs his got cancer and finding it hard to [email protected] his had the last 12 years quite well tho

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi there,
I have a 7 m onth old Scott or sports type American Bulldog. So far I couldn't ask for a better dog............highly recommend. There have been no health issues and she is never nervous. Easy to train and very energetic. As always, buy from a reputable breeder and view parents etc
The Scott's are a lot better looking than the Johnsons's IMO. I bought one from WA, about 8 years ago, apparently she had had 25 pups, a few litters, and he sold each for $1000 back then including the first one to Singapore or Malaysia.

Great dog, loved to run. I had to sell her not long after i got due to my circumstances, sold her to a mate and he's still got her.

·
Registered
nissan swb gq
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the difference with the Scotts and Johnson's? I'm really leaning towards this dog I like the look of how staunch and block headed they are

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Blue Heelers are smart, so are German Shepherds. Either one would do me.
Had a Staffy cross...lived 19 years and 6 months...thought he was going to do 20, but not quite. Smaller dogs seem to live longer. He wasn't aggressive tho' so wouldn't have made a good guard dog. Don't much care for Bull Terriers but they can fight.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
One of my mates has an american bulldog and from what I can gather they arent far off a pitpull in blood lines. Beautiful looking dog, but I sure as hell wouldnt have a kid walk near it. Something about those dogs that i dont trust and I think they could be fooled a lot easier than some of the others mentioned here.

I had a blue heeler for 17 years and she was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Awesome dog, but high maintenance. Pure breed heelers are harder to find. They cross very well with kelpies or collies if you want a more timid dog that will still be sharp as a razor.

Dobermans are fantastic also, one of the smartest breeds around and one of the original, purpose 'built' guard dogs.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
i want a pug.

Ill get one soon, i reckon they r effing cool dogs

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
I just got a Cane Corso, which litteraly translated means Protector dog, it is an Italian mastiff and are supurb dogs.

If you are into your healers and the like then you wont like them, but if you are into your staffies and such then they are better than those.

·
Registered
nissan gq ute
123 Posts
I got a black great dane, he'll let people no where they stand. Stuffs safe round here.
Breed's not a jumper and doesn't wander, he's happy here and guard's the house perfect.

·
Banned
nissan
189 Posts
i have an American staffy and a bull mastif x American staffy and you would have to be a very brave man to come in to our yard when im not home. but we are after 1 more and i will be getting a cane corso they look amazing and are awesome guard dogs.

DDD Italian Cane Corso Furio

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
I have two Aussie Bulldogs.They are medium size dogs very loyal and well worth a look. If you Google Aussie Bulldog there's plenty of info on them. These are my two dog both 9 months old in this photo and they do a great job of keeping the local riff raff out of my yard

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts