Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1982 MQ PATROL L28
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first time posting on here and just looking for a bit of advice on shocks for my 82 mq patrol. I am getting the Dobinsons 7 pack springs 40mm raise (unless you guys have better recommendations) and am now looking into a set of quality shocks front and rear to go along with them, ill be using the old girl for touring so ill be going remote frequently, will defiantly be taking her on the tough stuff and expeditions but also a lot of highway driving. Have been looking at a few like Bilstein, Monroe and Toughdog, but need experienced advice. thanks

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
934 Posts
Hi guys, first time posting on here and just looking for a bit of advice on shocks for my 82 mq patrol. I am getting the Dobinsons 7 pack springs 40mm raise (unless you guys have better recommendations) and am now looking into a set of quality shocks front and rear to go along with them, ill be using the old girl for touring so ill be going remote frequently, will defiantly be taking her on the tough stuff and expeditions but also a lot of highway driving. Have been looking at a few like Bilstein, Monroe and Toughdog, but need experienced advice. thanks
Don’t disregard Ironman foam cell pro .
Certainly worth a look

·
Registered
1982 MQ PATROL L28
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been using these for several years now and I'm very happy with them but their damping might be a bit high for a leaf spring car. Whatever you buy just make sure the supplier knows they are for an MQ Patrol.
Cheers guys for the replies, unfortunately im not considering ironman foam cells due to mates having bad runins with their suspension setups from them in past, as i said ill be taking her pretty darn remote, just cant afford the risk since its common for them to fail. reading more reveiws online ive also disregarded toughdog for the same reason

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,908 Posts
My Tough Dog Foam Cell adjustables are still working fine after something like 8 years, interestingly my brotherinlaw was here today with his son who owns a CRD, I asked the young fellow if he would like to test drive mine with the new turbo so off we go, brother in law was sitting in the back and the first thing he says when we get back is how smooth and stable the old girl is for a lifted truck. Sometimes when you have had something a long time it's comments like that which make you appreciate having a good setup.
I do a lot of back block trips of 5000 to 16000k.

·
Registered
nissan
6,511 Posts
Cheers guys for the replies, unfortunately im not considering ironman foam cells due to mates having bad runins with their suspension setups from them in past, as i said ill be taking her pretty darn remote, just cant afford the risk since its common for them to fail.
Don't confuse the Ironman Foam Cell Pros with the standard Ironman Foam Cell shocks. I've never heard of a set of Ironman Foam Cell Pros failing although I've heard of lots of other Ironman stuff destroying itself. After being disappointed with my OME Nitrocharger Sports on a Simpson crossing I went for the Ironman Foam Cell Pros because of their large piston diameter and robust construction, and good reports from a few forum members. I've since been all over the Kimberly, Pilbara and travelled the Canning Stock Route with the Foam Cell Pros with zero issues although there were many other people on the CSR with shock problems. There were a pair of young German guys with a 105 Cruiser we kept bumping into on the CSR who were running a brand new set of Bilsteins and were complaining about shock fade on the big sections of whoops so we compared temps between their shocks and mine by our well calibrated hand grabs. The Bilsteins you had to let go of almost as soon as you grabbed them but mine could be held for several seconds before it seemed like a good idea to release them. It wasn't a fair comparison though because the Bilsteins had a 32mm bore and mine had a 45mm bore. That provides a lot more fluid to absorb the energy and a lot more surface area to release that energy to the atmosphere.

Whatever shocks you get make sure you get the fattest ones you can afford.

·
Registered
1982 MQ PATROL L28
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't confuse the Ironman Foam Cell Pros with the standard Ironman Foam Cell shocks. I've never heard of a set of Ironman Foam Cell Pros failing although I've heard of lots of other Ironman stuff destroying itself. After being disappointed with my OME Nitrocharger Sports on a Simpson crossing I went for the Ironman Foam Cell Pros because of their large piston diameter and robust construction, and good reports from a few forum members. I've since been all over the Kimberly, Pilbara and travelled the Canning Stock Route with the Foam Cell Pros with zero issues although there were many other people on the CSR with shock problems. There were a pair of young German guys with a 105 Cruiser we kept bumping into on the CSR who were running a brand new set of Bilsteins and were complaining about shock fade on the big sections of whoops so we compared temps between their shocks and mine by our well calibrated hand grabs. The Bilsteins you had to let go of almost as soon as you grabbed them but mine could be held for several seconds before it seemed like a good idea to release them. It wasn't a fair comparison though because the Bilsteins had a 32mm bore and mine had a 45mm bore. That provides a lot more fluid to absorb the energy and a lot more surface area to release that energy to the atmosphere.

Thank you for the detailed reply, you are making me reconsider my opintion of them. I agree with the bigger bore size and i havent actually taken much consideration for that so far. I'd be interested in hearing more of your advice in rig setup, you sound like you've had quite the wealth of experience.

·
Registered
1982 MQ PATROL L28
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Tough Dog Foam Cell adjustables are still working fine after something like 8 years, interestingly my brotherinlaw was here today with his son who owns a CRD, I asked the young fellow if he would like to test drive mine with the new turbo so off we go, brother in law was sitting in the back and the first thing he says when we get back is how smooth and stable the old girl is for a lifted truck. Sometimes when you have had something a long time it's comments like that which make you appreciate having a good setup.
I do a lot of back block trips of 5000 to 16000k.
Dont take my remark about the toughie shocks as a jab mate, i think they are a good brand and still potentially something to still consider if i cant find better, but the thing is you hear such mixed opinions on them, one half love em' and only run them the other half hate them and complain of failure after a short time, i would rather look at all my options from both sides of the fence to decide and unfortunately to me its too half n' half for them to be my first choice, considering I'm relatively new and know that i can benefit from experience of those around me.

·
Registered
1982 MQ PATROL L28
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh i do need to add, due to her being an MQ wagon I'm pretty limited in what will actually work with my vehicle. most manufacturers only make one style to suit her, dobinson actually have no more front shocks in stock and wont make more for my model, ironman only have nitrogas option as far as I've seen, monroe, bilstein are only ng too. Considering even looking at kings and fox and seeing if they will make something but assuming its out of my price range

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,034 Posts
Large bore oil be good to look at. Appreciate you have leaf springs.
GU IV / 2" coils_tried foam cell (not top brands) but with Lovel HD coils (hard as) not best for me. Changed to 2" HD Dobinsons coils with Bilstein shock (re valved twice), shocks were good for touring but way too severe on corrugations. Went to KONI and have been happy last 5yrs.

·
Registered
1982 MQ PATROL L28
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Large bore oil be good to look at. Appreciate you have leaf springs.
GU IV / 2" coils_tried foam cell (not top brands) but with Lovel HD coils (hard as) not best for me. Changed to 2" HD Dobinsons coils with Bilstein shock (re valved twice), shocks were good for touring but way too severe on corrugations. Went to KONI and have been happy last 5yrs.
koni have a good name and its defiantly affordable, something to consider

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,908 Posts
Dont take my remark about the toughie shocks as a jab mate, i think they are a good brand and still potentially something to still consider if i cant find better, but the thing is you hear such mixed opinions on them, one half love em' and only run them the other half hate them and complain of failure after a short time, i would rather look at all my options from both sides of the fence to decide and unfortunately to me its too half n' half for them to be my first choice, considering I'm relatively new and know that i can benefit from experience of those around me.
No offence taken, we as forum members offer advice based on our extensive experience and you make your decisions based on that, no skin off my nose.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,034 Posts
koni have a good name and its defiantly affordable, something to consider
Do a search on the forum as lots of discussion been had over time. Out of interest had a bit of a read up on the Ironman Foam Cell Pros (look interesting).

I did not have the opportunity to get in other vehicles (similar build) to check things out, good if you can..

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,720 Posts
I have Dobinsons leaves and shocks in my shorty.
To their credit, the body control is pretty good for a shorty, shocks have enough rebound damping to help with the lack of rear sway bar, so there's far less body roll than the previous (raw4x4 I think? Can't remember they came with the car) shocks I had. They take weight a bit better than 30+ year old sagged springs too.

Other than that, couldn't recommend them. Ride is harsh, articulation is rubbish, the shocks are too short to allow the springs to droop more than 1". The springs are the same length and free camber as the standard springs too, so the lift just comes the heavier rate.
I would look at either OME or getting custom springs spec'd to your application, both are more expensive but if you will be doing a lot of kays, especially remote then a good setup is worth the money.

·
Registered
1982 MQ PATROL L28
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have Dobinsons leaves and shocks in my shorty.
To their credit, the body control is pretty good for a shorty, shocks have enough rebound damping to help with the lack of rear sway bar, so there's far less body roll than the previous (raw4x4 I think? Can't remember they came with the car) shocks I had. They take weight a bit better than 30+ year old sagged springs too.

Other than that, couldn't recommend them. Ride is harsh, articulation is rubbish, the shocks are too short to allow the springs to droop more than 1". The springs are the same length and free camber as the standard springs too, so the lift just comes the heavier rate.
I would look at either OME or getting custom springs spec'd to your application, both are more expensive but if you will be doing a lot of kays, especially remote then a good setup is worth the money.
thank you for the reply, its interesting to hear a bit abot the springs too, more to consider and in the long run thers a good chance ill go costum since ill be reworking the whole engine. big investment

·
Registered
7 Posts
HI.

I live where Dobinsons are made.
They a very exxy VERY hard riding suspension. I've heard lots of complaints.
We have a lot of 4wd's round here. Miners.Good wages.
With very few running Dobinsons that I know.

I've had GQ ('91 to '02) and 15 yrs in a GU set up for towing a 3.2ton van On and off road.
With a few utes among them too.
I have After a few trials with other brands. always gone with EFS. Shocks and springs.
Second level up for shocks. (SOFT/std springs for rear for MQ i'd think).

I have them on my current D.Max too with Torsion bar (EFS) on front too. and rear springs having
the rocker extenders. (Double knuckles, not single link. joiners).
I don't know what the effect would be on front Leaves?? Possibly **** the steering?.

They fit on rear end link of leaf springs. Giving a slight lift and DOUBLE action on the rear ends of springs. (look them up. I love them)
Really softens the impact points, and travel, of rear suspension..
Best $135 I ever spent on my leaf springs.

EFS probably the best most reliable shocks on market for 4wd touring, with some performance.
Their top levels would be good for serious off road too.
But they getting up near price of KONI's and Bilstein. Which ARE the Rolls Royce of shockers.
Bar none. But Probably not worth the cost for MQ

Performance. 3rd level EFS shocks I'd think.
One thing I've NEVER done. Is blow a seal on any EFS shock. on 5 4wd's.
over near 30 yrs

PS.
Don't push the old girl TOO hard. She won't take too much nowadays.
Treat her nice she'll look after you.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,908 Posts
HI.

Interesting observation, totally opposite to my experience though, in post #5 I mentioned my ToughDog adjustable shocks which have something like 7 years and many outback trips on them and still working, didn't mention the 3" Dobinson lift that happened at the same time, I've had a few members in my vehicle over the years and have had several comment on how good the ride is, interesting how we never have a 'one size fits all' way of life.

·
Registered
1982 MQ PATROL L28
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HI.

I've had GQ ('91 to '02) and 15 yrs in a GU set up for towing a 3.2ton van On and off road.
With a few utes among them too.
I have After a few trials with other brands. always gone with EFS. Shocks and springs.
Second level up for shocks. (SOFT/std springs for rear for MQ i'd think).

I have them on my current D.Max too with Torsion bar (EFS) on front too. and rear springs having
the rocker extenders. (Double knuckles, not single link. joiners).
I don't know what the effect would be on front Leaves?? Possibly **** the steering?.

They fit on rear end link of leaf springs. Giving a slight lift and DOUBLE action on the rear ends of springs. (look them up. I love them)
Really softens the impact points, and travel, of rear suspension..
Best $135 I ever spent on my leaf springs.

EFS probably the best most reliable shocks on market for 4wd touring, with some performance.
Their top levels would be good for serious off road too.
But they getting up near price of KONI's and Bilstein. Which ARE the Rolls Royce of shockers.
Bar none. But Probably not worth the cost for MQ

Performance. 3rd level EFS shocks I'd think.
One thing I've NEVER done. Is blow a seal on any EFS shock. on 5 4wd's.
over near 30 yrs

PS.
Don't push the old girl TOO hard. She won't take too much nowadays.
Treat her nice she'll look after you.
I'm genuinely impressed at how much attention this post has gotten. Its good to hear an opinion on EFS and ill definatly be remembering your rocker extenders idea. at the end of the day EFS are cheap and even if you get half the life you do out of them compared to something like koni then they have still payed for themselves. As for the dobinsons springs i havent heard that about them before, i though they had a fairly medium ride but its interesting nevertheless. I do push the old girl every so often but never too much, she is a beast in the bush and drives better than the new hilux's after i had to drag one out of the mud with her on my first trip (much to their dispare), i hope to eventually do a chassis up restoration eventually but i just need the space and time. again thanks all for how much attention this thread has gotten, its great to see theres such a passion around it all

·
Registered
3,557 Posts

Are you sure about the bilstein diameters, mine are 46mm, also had zero problems on the csr.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
6,511 Posts
Are you sure about the bilstein diameters, mine are 46mm,
They might have been 36mm with an outer body diameter not much more than 40mm. They looked almost identical to my old OME Nitrochargers. The owner said he was disappointed with the size when they arrived but they were the ones that had been recommended for his 105 'Cruiser. No doubt he could have bought bigger ones but he expected they would do the job which they had up until the day I spoke with them.

As I said earlier, get the biggest piston diameter you can afford.

Edit; Just for interest sake I went to the Sparesbox web site and checked out their Bilstein shock recommendation for a 105 Cruiser and it listed several pages of B4 series shocks but gave no recommendations for other sizes. A quick check on the Bilstein web site showed their B6 series had a 46mm piston but they made no mention of what size piston the B4 series had.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts