Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
nissan
Hi guys, first time posting on here and just looking for a bit of advice on shocks for my 82 mq patrol. I am getting the Dobinsons 7 pack springs 40mm raise (unless you guys have better recommendations) and am now looking into a set of quality shocks front and rear to go along with them, ill be using the old girl for touring so ill be going remote frequently, will defiantly be taking her on the tough stuff and expeditions but also a lot of highway driving. Have been looking at a few like Bilstein, Monroe and Toughdog, but need experienced advice. thanks
Haven't had a leaf spring car for 20 years but my old 60 series cruiser worked very well on 50mm Kings spring packs with Rancho 9000 adjustables. Smoothest leaf sprung car I've ridden in. Similar application you are talking about and towed a camper trailer more often than not. Sure there are better shocks around now but I do remember that setup working well and reliable. Mate has a early GQ ute (read heavy)with leaves all round with a full Dobinsons 50mm kit and it seems a bit rough to me. I am spoilt now though with all coils so no current info sorry other than agreeing with getting large diameter shocks.

Registered
They might have been 36mm with an outer body diameter not much more than 40mm. They looked almost identical to my old OME Nitrochargers. The owner said he was disappointed with the size when they arrived but they were the ones that had been recommended for his 105 'Cruiser. No doubt he could have bought bigger ones but he expected they would do the job which they had up until the day I spoke with them.

As I said earlier, get the biggest piston diameter you can afford.

Edit; Just for interest sake I went to the Sparesbox web site and checked out their Bilstein shock recommendation for a 105 Cruiser and it listed several pages of B4 series shocks but gave no recommendations for other sizes. A quick check on the Bilstein web site showed their B6 series had a 46mm piston but they made no mention of what size piston the B4 series had.
B4 are also 46mm, from memory all of there high pressure gas shocks are 46.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
Haven't had a leaf spring car for 20 years but my old 60 series cruiser worked very well on 50mm Kings spring packs with Rancho 9000 adjustables. Smoothest leaf sprung car I've ridden in. Similar application you are talking about and towed a camper trailer more often than not. Sure there are better shocks around now but I do remember that setup working well and reliable. Mate has a early GQ ute (read heavy)with leaves all round with a full Dobinsons 50mm kit and it seems a bit rough to me. I am spoilt now though with all coils so no current info sorry other than agreeing with getting large diameter shocks.
If memory serves correctly, the 60 series has a decent front end set up, reasonably long leaves and fairly good geometery.
I know of a bloke that fitted 60 series springs to his MQ, reckons it was a great upgrade as he now has the better spring packs from each car.

Reactions: qik60

Registered
Hi guys, first time posting on here and just looking for a bit of advice on shocks for my 82 mq patrol. I am getting the Dobinsons 7 pack springs 40mm raise (unless you guys have better recommendations) and am now looking into a set of quality shocks front and rear to go along with them, ill be using the old girl for touring so ill be going remote frequently, will defiantly be taking her on the tough stuff and expeditions but also a lot of highway driving. Have been looking at a few like Bilstein, Monroe and Toughdog, but need experienced advice. thanks
-------------------------------------------------

Bilstein and adjustable KONI ARE Proven the best over a lot if years use in Comp and touring.
Myself. Not needing that class of shocks, I have used EFS after trying a few other named ones.
My last 4 veh's have EFS. SHOCKS. Progressive COILS, and Torsion bars.
With Ironman Half leaf Helper leaf springs on rear.
I... Find them reliable. doing a great job. (Second level UP for towing not performance).
and VERY happy with them.
I did try a basic set of shocks on D;Max firstly. But seals didn't last long.
The second level of are fine after 5 yrs so far. towing a 2 ton van on Aust Bitumin, and some dirt roads.

Registered
If memory serves correctly, the 60 series has a decent front end set up, reasonably long leaves and fairly good geometery.
I know of a bloke that fitted 60 series springs to his MQ, reckons it was a great upgrade as he now has the better spring packs from each car.
Agree with above about KING springs.
Over 50 yrs they are the best LEAF springs I've used.on Fairlanes and 4wd's.
With the second and third level EFS SHocks doing the best job for me.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts