Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so after a bit of searching on the page and google and all that I still can't really pin point my issue. So I guess the best way to describe this sound is to say it sounds like when i was a kid and the old pokemon card in the spokes of the wheel on a bike trick. It's happened once before a few months ago and this afternoon. But the thing is that 4wd hasn't been engaged in weeks maybe even a month or two so it isn't like they are still engaged from going 4wding. It sounds like it is only coming from the drivers side. I'm just not 100% sure as to what it could be. Hoping it's easy fix because I head to the cape in just over a month.

any help appreciated.

Pat

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
313 Posts
Is it pulling to that side slightly?
If you lock the hub manually, does the noise stop?

My auto hubs played up a while ago so I stuck on some manual ones. Much more reliable now.

Sent from somewhere I wish I wasn't.

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard somewhere that you could change the auto hubs to manual without changing the entire thing you just remove the spring or the pin or do something and then when all back together when it is in auto its actually in free mode and then you have to get out and manually lock them in with the wheel brace to "lock"

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,186 Posts
If you have manual hubs and there is no snap ring on the axle,the hub clutch ring

[stationary on axle] floats out and bites against the hub [rotating] and makes a hell of a

noise.[Personal experience.]Auto hubs don't have a snap ring on the axle.

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh grumpyone the hubs in it are autos at the moment and I'm gonna change them over to manual ones by doing the conversion as described in the above thread. Thanks for all the input guys much appreciated.

Pat

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Ok so after a bit of searching on the page and google and all that I still can't really pin point my issue. So I guess the best way to describe this sound is to say it sounds like when i was a kid and the old pokemon card in the spokes of the wheel on a bike trick. It's happened once before a few months ago and this afternoon. But the thing is that 4wd hasn't been engaged in weeks maybe even a month or two so it isn't like they are still engaged from going 4wding. It sounds like it is only coming from the drivers side. I'm just not 100% sure as to what it could be. Hoping it's easy fix because I head to the cape in just over a month.

any help appreciated.

Pat
You may not have to do much of anything.

This happened to me, and Ray, who has been missing from the forum for some time more's the pity, told me to pull it apart and check the grease, too much or too little can do it.

Fix mine, and the jumping out of lock in Auto as well.

I was heading down the fitting of manual hubs till he set me straight.

Never had a problem again.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
This thread started it.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/manual-hubs-66124/

When I pulled them down there was grease pushing out as I unbolted. I realised that Ray was onto something so had a discussion via other means.

Honestly, I would give it a go as the autos are great when needed and they are just as strong as manuals.

And if you at a point where you have to manual lock the Auto's then it makes no difference if they are auto or manual. You have to get out to lock both types ...

Just my opinion ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts