Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone claimed their accessories on tax? I work at a 4wd store and my car is on display for customers to see.

·
Registered
Nissan
275 Posts
I claim everything on my car including lift and tyres. I am a fauna spotter(wildlife catcher) and am off-road almost everyday... Works out well!

·
Registered
nissan
1,422 Posts
Try it whats the worst that can happen

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Not an issue if your job requires a 4x4.

One my mates claimed heaps of gear , including both air lockers, no issues.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Not sure about that one. In this situation I would have thought your boss should have sold the parts to you tax free and then claimed through the business if it was a legit agreement that your car would be on show to promote it. If you were your own boss it would be different I would've thought. I however am not an accountants arse hole so I am purely speculating. I will be interested in others ideas as I know there are some pretty clued up members here on these sorts of things. ;)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
If it is something that you use as part of your employment why not? make the claim and the worst that can happen is they knock you back.

·
Registered
Nissan
275 Posts
Haha I even claimed fishing gear last year.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
I have claimed everything,recovery gear,winch,reduction gears,lockers,suspension,air bags,onboard compressor,all engine mods,solar panels,agm batteries fridge and any other accessories.only thing I wouldn't claim for is offroad tyres.If you use it in your employment it is claimable.only complication i would see is if you are a paye tax payer on an hourly rate,on salary,comission with or without a retainer or 'piecemeal' ie sub contracting should be good.if you don't fit into a claimable area ask your employer if they have a salary sacrifice option.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Yeah go for it. As said nothing to lose. It will be interesting to see. I wonder if it's like claiming on clothes/uniforms. As in there has to be some business logo on them. Let us know how you go mate. ;) One question. Did your boss ask for your car to be a show car for the business?

·
Registered
nissan
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nah my boss hasn't asked me to put it on display but it's parked at the front door and just trying to find and reason to claim lol

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
do you show customers your car with your employer's products on it and demonstrate how they fit or work? does your employers business name appear on your vehicle? if not don't think you will be able to claim

·
Doing It My Way
nissan
1,774 Posts
I run a log book, and I claim everything , KM2's , lockers, dc6, 20g. Depends what your job requirements are. As for the OP , you may need something in writing from your employer, I'd discuss these matters with your account prior to doing your tax. Good luck man .

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
I have to go ahead a disagree with the whole "try it and see"... There can be some very steep penalties if the ATO finds you've made fraudulent claims. If they look into your return an "I didn't know" won't suffice. You need to check the validity of your claims before you lodge, if this is something you can't do yourself you will need to speak to a certified accountant.

I'd hate to see someone hit with fines resulting from amateur advice on a forum (note, I'm not having a go at anyone who has posted above).

Speak to an accountant. Best of luck.

·
Registered
nissan
425 Posts
I'm a subcontractor and claim everything I spend on my hilux which is my work car. Lift, tyres, bullbar, canopy, fridge, awning etc. 100% write off. I even claim some stuff I buy for the patrol too. Write it down as asset improvements.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
I have to go ahead a disagree with the whole "try it and see"... There can be some very steep penalties if the ATO finds you've made fraudulent claims. If they look into your return an "I didn't know" won't suffice. You need to check the validity of your claims before you lodge, if this is something you can't do yourself you will need to speak to a certified accountant.

I'd hate to see someone hit with fines resulting from amateur advice on a forum (note, I'm not having a go at anyone who has posted above).

Speak to an accountant. Best of luck.
Thinking about it I would have to agree with this. Sure, 9 times out of 10 people get away with it, but if they decide to audit your return, you want to have the answers and documentation. If not it can get a bit nasty. At the very least, I would suggest calling an accountant and asking. I would however recommend doing your return through an agent. I never used to, and got stuff all return. After I did, I got returns in the thousands after paying the accountants bill. They know legitimate claims in every profession that you didn't think existed. Give it a go. This is my experience anyway. Good luck.;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeh cheers guys, I am booked in with an accountant who will be doing it just wanting a heads up.
good idea, not sure getting advice on a patrol forum is helpful.

Anyone can claim whatever they want, it is a self assessment system we use. BUT just because you lodge it and receive an Assessment doesn't mean that the ATO have accepted it, they can still audit you.

But I'll go against the flow, I don't think it would be deductible at all. You need to be able to show some connection to your income (other than just having the job). Your employer doesn't pay you to do it I'd assume,you do it because you like going offroad. therefore no connection.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts