Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this rain I'm having trouble with windscreen leaks. I've tried cleaning out the drain holes at the bottom of the windscreen using a guitar string and that was good for light rain but with all this heavy stuff they are leaking again. This gets me thinking that there must be a standard and accepted method for cleaning out these pesky little crannies. Anyone got any helpful suggestions?

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
alot of the time the windscreen seal goes. allowing water in.
im having trouble stopping water coming in my sunroof. its that bad i currently have ziptied a tarp to the undersize of the roof basket in an attempt to stop it.
water leaks are SOOO frustrating.

·
Registered
nissan
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
air compressor?!
Someone else suggested this to me some time ago but because I don't have one handy I haven't tried it. Perhaps if I could get to my local friendly mechanic or tyre shop they might be willing to help out but being away on holidays its a bit harder. Nevertheless worth a try.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
149 Posts
I'm getting water coming in through the top corners (A pillars) on both my shorty and the LWB.

I gather its a common problem.

for the life of me I can't see where the damn water is getting in though...
Had a similar problem with my Y60, changed the windscreen rubber, problem solved!

·
Registered
851 Posts
im having trouble stopping water coming in my sunroof. its that bad i currently have ziptied a tarp to the undersize of the roof basket in an attempt to stop it.
Have you cleaned out the sun roof drain tubes? Mine were blocked.

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Mate, just spend $150 (or thereabouts) and replace the window rubber. The aftermarket ones don't have the drain holes, best $$ I spent fixing the problem.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Had a similar problem with my Y60, changed the windscreen rubber, problem solved!
nissan do a lot of smart things with the GQ, and then do absolute numpty stuff like the windshield rubber, side windows rubber and the paint job....

I always wondered why I'd see these older GQ's with backyarder silastic applied to the windscreen rubbers...

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Drain holes for the windscreen - can someone post a pic of them please?
Im having water issues in one of my patrols, have sealed the window the entire way around the rubber, yet i still have a leak.
The water appears to dribble over the fuse box cover above the kick panel.
Cant find where its coming from though.
Pretty sure there is no rust anywhere, so the only thing i can think of is its leaking through the door hinge bolts?
they have been changed and they didnt have any sealant put on them like they have from the factory.

·
Registered
259 Posts
some numpty tired to fix mine by filling all the gaps with sealer. all that does is make it worse. But with glass cover on my insurance i'm getting a new screen fitted and will get a new rubber at the same time.

I'm just praying there is no rust under there.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Drain holes for the windscreen - can someone post a pic of them please?
Not drain holes but drain tubes. Remove the wiper arms then the windscreen cowl panel under the screen and you'll see them at the bottom corners of the screen. I cleaned mine out with compressed air at low pressure.
Nissan must have known the screen seals would leak lol.
Only other reason I cant think of for the tubes is for breathers between the screen and A pillars.

·
Registered
nissan
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have a new windscreen rubber - well almost new - replace January 2010 with the new windscreen. I complained to the panel shop when it started leaking and he asked me if I'd been driving in the bull dust. (I had). So he showed me where the drain holes were but didn't offer to clean them out for me. The drain holes are very hard to get to and impossible to see. That's why they're so hard to clean out. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
The drain holes are very hard to get to and impossible to see. That's why they're so hard to clean out. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.
See previous post - cowl panel removal. Easy to see and get at then.

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
I also have a leak, not a big one you just notice the wet spots on the rubber mat, but it seems to be above the brake pedal. Could this be the same thing?

·
Registered
nissan
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also have a leak, not a big one you just notice the wet spots on the rubber mat, but it seems to be above the brake pedal. Could this be the same thing?
That's where I first noticed it. On closer inspection it was coming out the corners of the windscreen rubber.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
831 Posts
Same,i actually siliconed the sunroof,never to be used again.;)

·
Registered
nissan
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not drain holes but drain tubes. Remove the wiper arms then the windscreen cowl panel under the screen and you'll see them at the bottom corners of the screen. I cleaned mine out with compressed air at low pressure.
Nissan must have known the screen seals would leak lol.
Only other reason I cant think of for the tubes is for breathers between the screen and A pillars.
I attempted to remove the windscreen cowl panel today and had some difficulty. First of all, the 'screws' were particularly difficult to get at - do you usually remove the bonnet to make that easier? Then once I did get one of them out I realised that they are plastic clips or something. Is there a trick to getting them out? Do they break & will I need to replace them? Its seems to be a bigger job than it first appears.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Dalaicamel,
If you just use the philips head attachment from a screw driver set, you can get the plastic screw to turn in its housing. Undo them 6mm or so, then pull the screw with the housing out as one piece. On re-fit you can just push the screw in with your thumb. I have taken mine out 3 times and haven't broken one yet ;-}

1 - 20 of 28 Posts