Radiator
Cooling Fan
Alternator
Starter
Recon/Calibrated the Fuel pump twice over the 20 years
Replace Injector nozzles 4 times - dirt cheap actually

As for the rest just meticulous routine maintenance

I still have to attend to:
Main seal on the engine output shaft - definitely leaking a little oil on the clutch
I can hear a slight whine of the Pilot bearing on the Gearbox input shaft - quiet when I press the clutch pedal
The clutch is original, so maybe time to replace that with the above work
Drive Shaft universals still original - no signs of any issues but I think I am pushing this too far
The Aircon Pump Electric Clutch is slipping

P,S, Did a dry compression test recently - all cylinders 100% to spec !

·
Registered
170 Posts
To answer Freddy.surf

After 848 180 km on my 2000 GL TD42 Wagon I have replaced:
Radiator
Cooling Fan
Alternator
Starter
Recon/Calibrated the Fuel pump twice over the 20 years
Replace Injector nozzles 4 times - dirt cheap actually

As for the rest just meticulous routine maintenance

I still have to attend to:
Main seal on the engine output shaft - definitely leaking a little oil on the clutch
I can hear a slight whine of the Pilot bearing on the Gearbox input shaft - quiet when I press the clutch pedal
The clutch is original, so maybe time to replace that with the above work
Drive Shaft universals still original - no signs of any issues but I think I am pushing this too far
The Aircon Pump Electric Clutch is slipping

P,S, Did a dry compression test recently - all cylinders 100% to spec !
Hi mate did u calibrate nozzles on injectors. I want to replace nozzles on my gu rd28ti but everybody says better to pay 500 and get recos. Dont know why when nozzles only cost 120 for 6.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Hi

Must calibrate them - although simple it is probably best left for those that do it regularly.

I normally buy the Nozzles direct from Nissan and then give the Injector units to a guy who sets them with a simple pop tester. One can do it yourself but having the correct shims around is the challenge.

Find someone else who does not charge an arm+leg...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi

Must calibrate them - although simple it is probably best left for those that do it regularly.

I normally buy the Nozzles direct from Nissan and then give the Injector units to a guy who sets them with a simple pop tester. One can do it yourself but having the correct shims around is the challenge.

Find someone else who does not charge an arm+leg...
Righto so should i buy nozzles . Fit them they take injectors to be pop tested and shims added as needed. Or should i just buy recos already set up

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,885 Posts
Righto so should i buy nozzles . Fit them they take injectors to be pop tested and shims added as needed. Or should i just buy recos already set up

Contact Shawn at Diesel Central and see what he can offer, I can recommend them from experience.

·
Registered
nissan
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good work @werley any rebuilds in those kays?
I’m on 391000, so far so good 🤞
Hey mate last owner blew up a motor at 350k somehow, but a second hand non turbo but turbo'd black top went back in, as far as im aware thats it.
Ive taken much better care since the last guy thats for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lucky the misso was in the car as i was on the putty. Whats everyone else upto on the clock?
View attachment 521229
Only 281,385 on my 1995 4.2efi GQ. Used only for tugging my 2.4ton caravan around the blacktop since I got it with <50,000ks. It has never done beach or bush but never to Church on Sundays or little old lady drivers either. It's a really tight & nice looking unit that does the job with ease. The motor sounds like a sewing machine (as they say).

It has been a great servant except for 3 Clutch thrust bearings & a persistently weeping rear axle seal. Now fixed. The original repairer over skimmed the axle which is now replaced. My mechanic recently replaced the Transfer Case to address a persistent transmission rattle. I think that the culprit was the Transmission (hand) brake that also got replaced in the process.
The power steering pump has been weeping for about 10 years .. must replace it one day & I worry about the still functioning Alternator.

It's thirsty & a bit rough without the van on the back but it keeps going & going. I can't see the value in spending all the moola to replace it, given that I am 79 and in the twilight of my long distance caravanning. Don't like the modern utes or the latest Patrol. A bit miffed that I missed out on a mates 4.2 TD circa 2009? One of the last of the 4.2s. It would have been a great $20,000 spend for a one owner with a similar usage history as mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003 GU ST-L TD42Ti: 203,240km Has had its gearbox and diff rebuilt (gearbox was noted as faulty from new, but dealers wouldn't address the issue) Box failed at 130,000km and rebuilt diff at same time.

·
Registered
nissan Gu
11 Posts
1999 GU ST RD28Ti has 350,000km on it. The only issue I have had is the clutch thrust bearing as well so I changed the clutch and dual mass wheel at the time. That was at 270,000km. Changed the injectors at 175,000 and will do them again now at 350. Changed the radiator at 320,000 to a 3 row metal one as preventative maintenance and changed the wheel bearings at 340,000 for the same reason. I too think about the alternator and will most likely do the bearings and brushes this year. All other maintenance is done by the book.

Cupie, do not sell your rig. If anything spend money to repair or upgrade. Any modern replacement will not be as good. I saw a GQ here in Vic recently and what the bloke had done to it was amazing. Fully specked with new rubber and paint, everyone who saw it wanted it including me.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
Good to hear there are some really good mileages being racked up, my trusty 2003 ZD30 just clicked over the 356 260 mark, no really major issues, have replaced an alternator, injectors & glow plugs, and the original DM clutch/flywheel, all good so far (fingers crossed !)

·
Registered
170 Posts
97 gu rd28ti. 299,000 km . Just replaced injectors ip timing belt all front and rear bushes and sway bar links . New rotors and pads and have replaced all vacc lines rad hoses and gaskets .
Anything else anyone can suggest. Also about to do highmount turbo and steinbuer chip. Also guys anyone know about these cheap fleabay specials fuel controllers. There rubbish and i am removing it .
By the way that wasnt my bodgie wiring job . I would have used solder and shrink wrap

1 - 20 of 20 Posts