Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Do you believe man is the major contributer to climate change?

• Yes

Votes: 53 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 57 51.8%
2,501 - 2,520 of 3,622 Posts
Maybe he’s getting ready to change sides.😳

We don't miss anything you post Warty :).

We all agree that climate is changing, what we disagree on is the exact terms of why and the degree of change. When people use the term catastrophic it is just pure and utter BS, as I've said many times I consider the plight of our earth with regard to plastics to be of more immediate concern.
That is fine. I don't see a scientific basis for the stance given it is outside the scientific consensus.
I am pointing out it is unsupported by the collective opinion if the scientists working in the field and scientists more broadly.
So earlier it was suggested I have confirmation bias.
Do I therefore most fit that description or would it apply more aptly to those who are not supported by the bulk of the opinion, evidence and expertise in the field of study being discussed? [emoji14]

Stop press: I just heard Sir David Attenborough say "we are not losing as fast as we might". Holy moly, maybe it isn't a catastrophic event after all, lol.
Is he now saying "fk it, it's all a conspiracy and we dont need to do anything at all now"?
He would be outside the scientific consensus if he was, but it would mean you could watch his documentaries again [emoji38]

Is he now saying "fk it, it's all a conspiracy and we dont need to do anything at all now"?
He would be outside the scientific consensus if he was, but it would mean you could watch his documentaries again [emoji38]
Mate I'm just reporting what I heard him say on the news this morning, if you can't accept the quote, that isn't my problem.

I reckon the poll tells a story. Presently running with about 30% more people who don't believe the scientists. That's a massive message right there.

In other breaking news my avatar is now square not round how cool is that. (Sorry feel like I have the attention span of a millennial today :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Reactions: geeyoutoo
The world is NOT coming to an end.

Any increase in heat in the general global climate is a mostly (see, i'm allowing for a maybe 5% contribution by man and his burning of fossil fuels) natural reaction to our moving out of an ice age and into a temperate age.

Thousands of scientists claim humans are the cause of the current warming...

Thousands of scientists claim humans are NOT the cause of the current warming...

Now, the one's who are researching "catastrophic global warming", and "man made Global warming" get funding....

They also get air time...

Scientific research is just as prone to the "if it bleeds, it leads" phenomenon we find in journalism these days...

There are no sensational headlines to sell papers in the news that humans are not significantly making any difference to the climate...

As mentioned above, we are supposed to believe that a bunch of scientists know what the climate is doing, can work this forward and see catastrophic changes in the future climate which are being brought on my man; yet, they can't even tell me if i'm going to need an umbrella next Tuesday...

And, more often than not, when they DO tell me I need one, I don't!

I understand the scientific method, I helped a friend of mine with a lot of her research for her PHD (molecular biology).

I went to school when facts were still facts, back when evidence was tangible, and when opinions and best guesses didn't mean squat were facts were concerned...I realise we've thrown a lot of that away nowadays, but, seriously; some of the moronic crap being spread about masquerading as actual facts and scientific consensus is worrying...

Reactions: geeyoutoo
Well I’ve been gone 5 years and the weather is still being the weather :)
[emoji44] but do you still have the 2.8?

Foo

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Reactions: Haggie
Really?
Show me these thousands of scientists.
Where do they work and study?
Show me all these scientific organisations that claim anthropogenic global warming is not occuring.

I've got a better idea; since you seem to have a line on all the science being done, and are clearly (by your own posts) far more versed in the scientific method than anyone else on here...how about you look them up...

I've got a better idea; since you seem to have a line on all the science being done, and are clearly (by your own posts) far more versed in the scientific method than anyone else on here...how about you look them up...
I understand the scientific method, I helped a friend of mine with a lot of her research for her PHD (molecular biology)
Come on your claiming to be the expert.

the science of global warming and greenhouse effect is well understood
No it’s not

again, they don’t know what all the drivers of climate are, every climate scientist will admit that. The models don’t accurately predict what is happening. FFS they can’t even tell you they are losing ice in the arctic but gaining ice in the Antarctic, none of the models predicted that.

Too true.

We humans are a remarkably adaptive species. The climate will change, as it always has, and we as a species will adapt to that change. We will manage to overcome each problem that presents itself and life will continue. The world today I have no doubt looks vastly different to thousands of years ago, and the world of the future will probably be different to today’s world, but like cockroaches, humans will still be populating this world and maybe even others. So stop worrying! Have a beer instead. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers,G.

No it’s not

again, they don’t know what all the drivers of climate are, every climate scientist will admit that. The models don’t accurately predict what is happening. FFS they can’t even tell you they are losing ice in the arctic but gaining ice in the Antarctic, none of the models predicted that.
How atmospheric gases trap heat is well understood.
As I posted;
There are multiple lines of evidence that show the climate system is changing. These include:

record high surface air temperatures

increased average number of hot days per year

decreased average number of cold days per year

increasing intensity and frequency of extreme events (e.g. fires, floods)

changing rainfall patterns

increasing sea surface temperatures

rising sea levels

increasing ocean heat content

increasing ocean acidification

changing Southern Ocean currents

melting ice caps and glaciers

decreasing Arctic sea ice

I presume you will now show your alternate theory to explain those "multiple lines of evidence"

Haven't you heard, CO2 is yesterdays news, NOx is the new 'catastrophe'.

2,501 - 2,520 of 3,622 Posts