Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU ST Coil Cab
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I am the owner of a 99 GU Coil Cab ute 4.2TD. I am currently running about a 4" lift with 35's. I have a clunking noise that was originally heard when making a full right hand steering lock. Almost like a metal pop noise or clunk. this can be heard when car is stopped and in motion when making right hand hard steer lock. Noise has become more prominent now being heard in left and right full steering lock. Also can be heard occasionally when taking off from stand still. I have checked under car for anything obvious and all seems well. Any ideas as to what could be the cause of the problem. Or has anyone experienced something similar. Appreciate any help I can get.
Kind regards Corey

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
my old man had a similar things happening the other week, we found that it was the lower control arm bushes that had worn out

·
Registered
nissan patrol
128 Posts
Check/tighten your front panhard rod, thats how i fixed mine when it was doing that

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yea I would say panhard rod.

Get someone in ur car and move the wheel back and forward, then u have a look underneath see if u can see any bushes moving excessively.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
530 Posts
I had the same sound as you described it with mine. I would've bet a million that it was in the front end, it ended up being a problem with the gearbox mount.

A 3rd year Nissan Apprentice found the problem, he loosened the gearbox mount and applied a little grease to the mating surfaces and tightened it all up again. It's been 3 years now and the noise has never came back. Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts