Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol / nissan safari
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day,
Since some time I have a clunking sound when coming to a stop which I think originates from the rear axle (heavy piece of metal moving).
It happens after I park in reverse uphills in my garage and the next morning I drive off and just before I am coming to a stop without applying the brakes.
During this time a whining sound is heard which disappears after the clunk.
(Whining sound as if a run in cog wheel is not running on its original position where it has run for a long time)

Could it be that the pinion is coming lose and would move slightly when reversing on an obstacle?

I am now more worried as it also happened after I got stuck in heavy sand and manoeuvring around to get free so the clunking occurrred.

Any idea what to look for, or previous experience of the same phenomenon.

This is a Patrol 4.5 GL GU 1998 with 300k's on the clock.

Thanks guys for any inputs.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd check the pinion hasn't come loose. Check one of the brake calipers hasn't come loose. Check diff housing locating rods. This should all be easy to do. If it's none of them, I'd next strip the diff.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd check the pinion hasn't come loose. Check one of the brake calipers hasn't come loose. Check diff housing locating rods. This should all be easy to do. If it's none of them, I'd next strip the diff.
Thanks Deejay,
Will concentrate on the diff, the brakes are fine.
I hope to find something in the oil pointing me in the direction of wear and tear, then opening the housing will be the next step.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I see, sounds very much the same as mine.

I noticed that it only happened when I previously have reversed up my driveway to park then next time I drive out it happens.
My analysis is that it has to do with "negative torque" (reversing) on the drive train.
I then checked the hand book and found that there are 2 spacers on the pinion shaft to adjust the exact position of the gearing between pinion and the ring gear, they call them "drive pinion bearing adjuster spacer". In fact there are two parts the washer and the spacer.

Now my question is: Could this part be worn allowing the gear shaft to shift when reversing?

·
Registered
nissan patrol y61 td4.2tdi
98 Posts
Diff Thump

Hi Team,
as well as checking for loose components mentioned above, I have found both with my old MQ and now the Gu3 that the LSD additive in the diff oil seems to wear out.
The clutch packs in the diff then get to grip very well and it takes a fair amount of force to make them slip. This gives the thump/jerk felt when changing direction or turning.
Just done some hard towing and now find this problem has shown up again.
In the past I changed the diff oil and the problem went away until the oil deteriorated again.
Some diff oils are LSD compatible and others need some LSD additive to stop the jerky operation.
The additive is a friction modifier and this allows the clutch packs to slip easier and not let go with a jerk that you can feel.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay thanks for the tips.
Obviously I will check the externals first then open the diff, hope for the trailing arms, but so far nothing visible on first inspection.
As for the diff:
I dont have LSD but diff lock electrically activated, so the oil issue won't be applicable.

Reactions: edb
1 - 8 of 8 Posts