Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've read all the threads that come up on the search for clutch adjustment, but I'm a little confused exactly what the adjustment behind the pedal does.

My clutch engages about an inch or so from the top, which I don't find very comfortable, and I'd really like it to engage about half way through the pedal movement.

Can this be done through the pedal adjustment?

The clutch works perfectly otherwise.

·
Registered
nissan
109 Posts
yes it does. the adjuster behind the pedal lengthens and shortens a push rod which controls a 'piston' action inside the master cylinder (under bonnet), which forces/withdraws fluid from the slave cylinder (gearbox) via little metal tubes, which in turn, uses the 'piston' action to operate the clutch. lengthening the rod behind the pedal will make the 'piston' inside the master cylinder apply pressure to the fluid earlier, thus, for your comfort the pushrod is too long...undo the pedal, and screw the nut up 1 or 2 turns then test. repeat till you are satisfied. be careful not to screw it in too far, or when you change gears the clutch will not disengage properly and will either wear the clutch out REALLY quickly, or it just wont change gears.

·
Registered
284 Posts
yes it does. the adjuster behind the pedal lengthens and shortens a push rod which controls a 'piston' action inside the master cylinder (under bonnet), which forces/withdraws fluid from the slave cylinder (gearbox) via little metal tubes, which in turn, uses the 'piston' action to operate the clutch. lengthening the rod behind the pedal will make the 'piston' inside the master cylinder apply pressure to the fluid earlier, thus, for your comfort the pushrod is too long...undo the pedal, and screw the nut up 1 or 2 turns then test. repeat till you are satisfied. be careful not to screw it in too far, or when you change gears the clutch will not disengage properly and will either wear the clutch out REALLY quickly, or it just wont change gears.
Is this the same in a GUII ZD30?

Pep

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i would be checking if the pedal has free play , if there isnt any free play then the pedal will need to be adjusted and could be the cause of your clutch not engaging till late, if there is free play then the clutch may be on its way out

·
Registered
Nissan
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks.

the clutch feels pretty good. Do these things usually go out slowly or in one big bang?

by free play do we mean movement in the pedal before we can feel pressure?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
as they wear you will get more pedal travel before it engages, and yes free play is the travel before you feel any pressure

1 - 8 of 8 Posts