Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

clutch fan 2.8gu

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  camp road 
#1 ·
im thinking the troll is feeling the affects of the 220 roolites mounted on bullbar in front of grill, went for a hour n half drive in 30+ heat country driving today and clutch fan was working 98% of the time with aircon on... i remember last summer it didnt work that hard coming on for a few minutes n so on... factory temp gauge so its always sitting on half.. troll totally stock apart from electric usual goodies

#3 · (Edited)
yer thanks not going to check much since i did the coolant few months ago thermostat is in a ***** of a spot and clearing air out of the system is a job of itself , it was very hot conditions tho and the temp gauge didnt budge from usual spot, did the research and thats how i got my conclusion leave it drive it until i here some alarm bells what ive learned is get a after market temp gauge

#5 ·
yep, every time you start 4b clutch fan is on,then drive it down the road it will disengage by the time your in third gear,,, but mine been staying on 90% when outside temp is 30+ deg outside temp... i wasnt sure how other 2.8gu's clutch fans are operating when its 30+ deg outside...

#7 ·
i never hear my fan operating so you guys are doing well.
If you are looking at fitting a aftermarket gauge i would suggest you purchase a ECU talk as this is a lot better than another gauge which you need to keep an eye on. You can set a alarm in the ECU Talk to beep when your engine reaches a set temp.
Just a bit of advise in regards to your clutch fan. if you suspect for a minute that your engine is running hot get your cooling system looked at (get radiator cleaned) as i have just had to replace my head head this year due to a blocked radiator. If you are waiting for the facotry gauge to move you are asking for troubles as nw i have the ecu talk installed i can see the factory gauge seems to stay at it normal level up to 95 (highest i have had the temp since the repairs).
There are plenty of Patrols driving around with winches and spot lights fitted that dont suffer cooling troubles so i dont know if the lights are causing you and hassles.

#10 ·
if in any doubt and for the cost (around $200) just take it in to a aradiator place and have it cleaned.
You never said how many Km's you have done or how long you have owned the vehicle

#11 ·
ive had it since feb 2010 coolant and timing belt done at same time 15,000 k's ago, coolant done thru a machine at work shop i helped mechanic with it all and cleary stated to him it has to be bleed right, he stated to me thats what the machine does,,, patrol has 237,000 on clock now...

#12 ·
purchased the ecutalk cpl weeks ago,,, on way home yesterday coming down the f3 i was getting 99c going up the big dipper (mooney mooney bridge)...checked clutch fan this morning 2.8gu there's only little bit of resistance, 4b hasnt been started since yesterday....

So the question is 99c is getting bit to hot, how much resistance should there be on clutch fan when its stone cold???

#13 ·
Ill go with camo on this one
Get the rad rodded (cost depends IF you remove and refit or they do it)

If the car is constantly running hot , your putting to much pressure on other components

A blocked rad is a common issue towards heating probs

#14 ·
when i had my radiator done the guy said that it is common for the top tank to be blistered inside too, if it had been overheated.. mine was 70% blocked and the top tank was rooted. cost about $220 off memory. new head cost me about $1600, 99 degrees would bother me.

#15 ·
it only gets hot on this one hill suppose it'l get hot any hill thats long enough and on the motorway,, took the 4b up a massive hill last wknd, hairpin bends, windy, 2nd n third gear foot buried to the floor and reving it to 4000rpm temp gauge didnt budge past 95deg very steep to say the least (hawkesbury road winmallee) so its not running hot all the time,,, the temps i was doin yesterday 36deg out side 4b was doin from 83-99deg

#16 ·
if its any help we went to Melbourne on new years eve and i was waiting to see how much hotter the old girl would run with the outside temp sitting on 40.
To my surprise going along the hwy with the cruise on sitting on 100 the CU talk never went any higher than 90 degress (hilly). Most of the way though it sat on 86-88 which is what it normally does. i really thought that the hotter weather would have made it run a little hotter but it was not the case.
The hotest i have ever had mine to is 94 when i was pushing it up a hill near home. I'm not sure how long yours was running at 99 for but it sounds a little warm to me.

#17 ·
only at speed 110km/h up a long enough hill under load it'l warm up then goes back down when road flattens out bit i dont get i can go up alot steeper hill temp gauge wont budge past 95 but speeds are alot lower around 60km/h... yer ill get rad rodded this week and maybe another clutch fan....

#21 · (Edited)
Yeh that happens.... seems to be the 110 speed. Towing a boat the other day in 40deg at 110kms at 10.5PSI in 5th gear going up hills I hit the 3/4 mark, back off on the hill to 100kms and 8PSI (still 5th gear) and the gauge went back to the middle. First time I have ever seen the guage move from the middle so freaked me out a little. On the flat or slight inclines it stayed in the middle so decided to see how far it would go on the next hill which was steeper and longer. 110kms 10.5PSI and up to 3/4 but not any higher, dropped quickly back to the middle once the hill was crested. This was all with three big guys, full tanks and the aircon going full blast.

Anyone know what 3/4 on the nissan guage is? (this is way before the first line in the H section).

#20 ·
Hey camp road I know the F3 well and yes Smokey gets hot on the mooney bridge too mainly when heading south on a hot 35c+ day nearing the top of the climb. Hot as in I haven't got the ECU talk yet (coming) but can rise to 3/4 on the crap temp guage.

Also the is another chit hill heafing south before mooney bridge, its a slow gradual hill just south of the westfeilds a tuggerah - it has a slight bend in it halfway up....this one kills Smokey near the top on hot days..
I know Smokey gets hot cause I can hear the aux fan come on when the a/c is off when in deep sand etc as this is set to come on at 98c by the ECU.

Let us know how you go.

#22 ·
im guessing 3/4 high on the 2.8gu temp gauge would be atleast 105 deg mine still
hasnt gone past half way yet @99 deg anotherhill mine got to 99 was the h/way coming out off central coast i think its central coast link goin past manns rd heading towards f3... anyway thats why i posted this thread hoping other members would share there story's n oppinons on how there 2.8gu's are coping up big h/wy speed hills...

my ac thermo fan when aircon is off, comes on @ 96deg trying to cool the rad...as per ecutalk...

#23 ·
Hi Camp Road
Just wanted to know if any more info on the clutch fan issue as mine is staying in all the time with no heating concern at all-stays in from start to operating temp no change

#24 ·
hi mahatma,,,

i only have info what my 4b was doin before rad was rodded and after,,,

my temps where in diseray before rodded it was running cooler??? by ecutalk but clutch fan was coming in at 89c now ive rad rodded my temp races to 89c and stays there but clutch fan hasnt come on yet..

temps before rad rodded, 83-99 now so far without any great distant driving ecutalk stays on at 89c

#25 ·
Gday,

I have recently installed a new viscous fan to my 2.8 GU, and Im quite sure you will damn well know the thing is engaged and running if it still works.

My temp gauge never moves now. To the detriment of performance, but still it wont cook.

I had thermos, and with the heat soak of the a/c condenser it got hot quick on even a 28degree day, without AC it worked fine. So I think you may need a new viscous fan hub.

Aftermarket hub $195-200 from Patrolapart or give Nizzbits a PM

BUT if you are still getting high temps with light driving and no AC on, I would suspect the cooling system needs attention.

#26 ·
im not running high temps as of yet, temp gauge hasnt moved, im just a paranoid freak with a digital temp gauge (ecu talk) rad been rodded new stat...i just want 4b run tad cooler... im fussy.. to put in simple terms without the page long esay, my mates reckon im a freak and spending to much money on my 4b, but my 4b is my hobby and my life at moment, fishing, camping n local nsw dirt/hardtop touring, basically having the great pleasure of driving is my key n goal...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.