Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old girl has always gotten a little warm climbing hills with the camper in tow, but it never uses any water or boils. So I decided to check out the clutch fan & found it to be a little weak.

To reco the fan is pretty easy, you just need a tube of the gel (oil, silicon). The only place I was able to find it was Toyota Spare Parts & it was only $11.69 GST inclusive.

With the GQ, after removing the fan from the engine, its just a matter of removing the fan from the clutch pack. Just four 10mm bolts.

Not sure that it was really all that important, but I made a witness mark on one lug of the clutch pack so it would be easier to put it back together. Then its just a matter of undoing the four 10mm bolts holding the two halves of the clutch pack together & prying them apart & removing the o'ring.

After that its just a matter of cleaning the old crappy gel out of the two halves...

Then squirting the new gel into the clutch, refitting the o'ring...

Bolting the clutch pack back together (a breeze with the witness mark)...

Finally, bolting the fan back on to the clutch pack.

Overall, a very easy thing to do, hopefully it will have some benefits to the old girl.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Great DIY thread.

I mentioned the slowly rising temps in mine (when going uphill) to the guy that dyno'd my truck.
Straight away he said 'classic fan clutch'. He did exactly what you have stated in the thread right down to the fact that you have to get it from Toyota!
Now if the temp gets 1mm above half on the gauge then the fan kicks in and I can see the temp drop back to a quarter while I'm still going up the hill.

So, if you get the temps going up to over three quarters on a hill and then down as soon as you crest it then try the OP's advice first.

My girlfriend will be so happy this summer now she can have aircon on all the time ;)

·
Registered
nissan gq
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great job ,but did you relize the fan is on the back of the clutch and it should be on the front in ya pictures
Only when I went to refit it fordsand4wd.

But I did notice it before it was all refitted, luckily.

Would have been super unhappy with the end result if I had of fitted it in backwards, lol.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,243 Posts
Must be whats causing my patrol to get hot too. I might just fit the spare one first to see if that works if not I'll refill it.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Must be whats causing my patrol to get hot too. I might just fit the spare one first to see if that works if not I'll refill it.
Changed mine altogether Mark.
Are you sure your spare is good? If not then it's a cheap thing to try.

I was just about to start looking at my radiator until the guy did this for me.

·
Registered
nissan gq
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is awesome if it works! $12- for a new clutch fan. these things can go for $200 or more!!
It'll actually wind up costing you $24.

Turns out you need two tubes of the gel to do the job.

After I had it finished, I thought it felt a little weak still. Then after I started it up & grabbed the fan, it was just too easy to stop.

Quick drive back to Toyota & was told that the rule of thumb is usually one tube for a sedan & two tubes for a 4wd.

But it seems bloody good now, lets hope...

·
Registered
nissan
89 Posts
Thats great mate! Ive heard of people doing it, but never seen it. Wish I had a go at it a while back instead of, yes, buying a new one.

·
Registered
nissan gq
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did a new one cost ya mate?

I saw one for sale on ebay today (a new one but non genuine) for over $300.

That was clutch only, no blades.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I paid $220 from bursons auto parts they had it on the shelf its a dayco clutch autobarn want $720 and nissan wanted $650 really pays to shop around

·
Registered
166 Posts
hehe, another old trade trick is to not bother with getting the silicone stuff from toyota... a bottle of wynns stop smoke or I think another product is called engine honey works just as well.
Was told this from a radiator shop that we use.
Correct me if i'm wrong but I think there a couple of models out there which don't split apart, (complete sealed units)

cheers Bikie

·
Registered
nissan gq
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hehe, another old trade trick is to not bother with getting the silicone stuff from toyota... a bottle of wynns stop smoke or I think another product is called engine honey works just as well.
Was told this from a radiator shop that we use.
Correct me if i'm wrong but I think there a couple of models out there which don't split apart, (complete sealed units)

cheers Bikie
I think some could very well be sealed units, but I am not sure.

As for the Stop Smoke & Engine Honey, as well as some other things I have been told (like bog without the hardener) are neither here nor there to me because...

One: I don't know that any of them react the same way to the heat variations as the proper stuff, & ...

Two: they are not really any cheaper than the proper stuff.

I have used this stuff in my Holden 304 fan & it worked well, so I have no reason to think it wont work here as well.

·
Registered
nissan
89 Posts
What did a new one cost ya mate?

I saw one for sale on ebay today (a new one but non genuine) for over $300.

That was clutch only, no blades.
It was going back a few years. I gave all the receipts to the new owner. Roughly from mem it was an aftermarket $120 from Sprint Auto. Clutch only also. Noticed a big diference in it pulling up the TD42 afterwards.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I just replaced mine last week. Brand new clutch and fan.
Clutch was $399 (aftermarket)
Fan was genuine as I wasn't sure if the aftermarket ones had the same pitch etc.
My old one was ok but the truck has almost done 400,000ks so I thought it was a good idea to change it out.
Running Temp dropped about 3-4 deg and she really roars now.

I just checked my old one and it is a sealed unit

·
Registered
nissan
1,380 Posts
If your hub is the sealed type then you can simply drill and tap 2 holes on the spring looking side on the 2 little flat parts. Drain the oil out, Helps to use an air tool in one hole to blow it all out the other. refill with the new oil and put some bolts in the holes. I did this with my TB42 fan bub.

Good write up for the people who have little mech knowledge.!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts