Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
g day!

If i dont drive my gq for a day or two the clutch gets stiff/hard and I cant select any gear.However, if I pump the clutch pedal for a couple of minutes it will start to become soft and i will be able to select gears and off i go.

I've searched the forum for clutch problems like mine but I havent read any.:(

What's causing this?...All inputs are appreciated

thanks!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
144 Posts
g day!

If i dont drive my gq for a day or two the clutch gets stiff/hard and I cant select any gear.However, if I pump the clutch pedal for a couple of minutes it will start to become soft and i will be able to select gears and off i go.

I've searched the forum for clutch problems like mine but I havent read any.:(

What's causing this?...All inputs are appreciated

thanks!
Which engine? If it is the TD42, it is possiblle that you have a vacuum leak or the pump is defective.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
It can be serviced, but it may not be worth it. In 2007 I paid for my Vacuum pump to be replaced It cost:

Recon Vacuum Pump $386.00
Alternator Bearing $8.00
Vacuum Hose(short one at M/C) $18.00
Labour for my mechanic to install all the above $120.00
Totalinc GST $585.20

I wish I had bought a new one instead as it died in 2007. I bought a new 120 amp alternator for $600. This comes complete with new Vacuum pump. I installed it my self & paid an auto electrcian to upgrade the wiring from the alternator to the battery to cope with the extra output. He charged $50.00 which I thought was good.

I bought the alternator through an auto electrician, however I see the mob at Nationwide Auto Parts sell a 90 amp unit for $374. This is still bigger than the standard one which I think is only 60 amps.
Try the link below

http://www.nationwideautoparts.com.au/order.php?partid=4&makeid=179&modelid=829&detid=1736&PATROL

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
144 Posts
its a td42 gq, mate.
can a vacuum pump be serviced?
Check for leaks first before you decide to service or replace the vacuum pump. I have a hard clutch pedal when the A/C is on, but it works fine when the A/C is off! I know there has to be a leak, just don't the time to check for it.

·
Registered
nissan safari
11 Posts
check hose for pin size holes from vacuum. i had a vacuum problem 2 months back. clutch and brakes becomes stiff, also handbrake light wont turn off when handbrake is down and the aircon, though turned on, will not get cold, coz both of these have actuators connected to the vacuum. turns out the check valve is kaput.

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
I have a similar problem. 1991 TD42, alternator was replaced about 2 years ago, (still the original vac pump though). About 3 months ago went to change gear & my foot went straight to the floor. Figured it'd be the master or slave cylinder so I replaced both. Bled the entire system & it's still VERY soft. If I push the clutch in without engine running it's quite hard, but when I start the engine it's instantly soft again. The brakes work fine, (even good enough to avoid next doors dog yesterday). Other than the soft pedal clutch works fine, just not game enough to take it off road :( .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts