Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy all

i want a coiled ute rather a 75 as i can put a 1hdft/80 series diffs with coils in it. though i wouldnt mind having a well set up gu ute as it would be less custom work.

so i would assume it would be around the $10k mark to do a coil conversion drive in/out. also i think it would be another $10k for a complete 1hdft motor to bolt into the 75. would it be worth money and time just going a gu ute?

what are the advantages of going a fresh gu? are there any reasons for a gu over a 75?

·
Registered
nissan patrol coil cab
1 Posts
you could possibly pick up a gq coil cab for cheaper than either and turbo lift it cheaper than buying both outright maybe

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Comfort, mate and to feel like your actuallty driving something that is post 2000 modle, 75 haven't changed much in the last 25 years, still feel like driving an old 45 series with plastics inside the cabin

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
gu ute all the way mate better running gear

·
Registered
nissan
11,122 Posts
how long is your time frame? gu ute already made. couple of hours for suspension lift. most are already turboed, more comfy, newer, alot stronger drive line and its basically buy and drive.
75 series. allow a couple of weeks for a coil conversion. which would be heaps easier to use coil overs but big dollars. finding a 1hdft engine alone is almost impossible it seems, been looking for one for the old mans troopie. and you wont have a car for a month or so. never loan your best bet is to replace the 75 gearbox/transfer with the unit that comes behind a 1hdft.
even a gq ute. imo much better base truck to start out with.

·
Registered
Nissan
240 Posts
GU utes are just so amazing to say the least. the interior is so comfy and smooth. they are quieter inside. im sure landcruisers engines are quite strong. but the td42 is proberly the most reliable engine in the world? diffs are stronger/almost unbreakable for weekend playing. generally nissans are cheaper then landcruisers to buy. you can buy a gu ute spend 4k put a 4inch lift on it and 35s and it will be basically unstoppable

if you want people to talk you into a gu this is the forum to go on. but anyone on a cruiser forum would talk you into the cruiser.

·
Registered
750 Posts
so what are plans for your ute??? work? touring? tough weekender??

75 series are an awesome work truck very practical & can take hard life, i would seriously consider buying a 80 series and putting the 75 cab on it that way all the suspension, brakes, etc are all of one model of car not bits from here & there

gu utes are pretty much the strongest & reliable ute out of the factory for tough touring or a w/e player, as for mods there are a lot of aftermarket bits to make it a capable truck
gu all the way :D

hope that helps

·
Registered
90 Posts
the 75 series has better engine in the 1hdft, and they are slighty higher i believe?? however, the GU ute is more stable from its wider wheel base, plus if you put 4grand into the engine it will keep you smiling! Im about to look into engine options for my td42t, as its still stock, non intercooled. i think youd be happier with a GUte.

·
Registered
nissan
11,122 Posts
the 75 series has better engine in the 1hdft, and they are slighty higher i believe?? however, the GU ute is more stable from its wider wheel base, plus if you put 4grand into the engine it will keep you smiling! Im about to look into engine options for my td42t, as its still stock, non intercooled. i think youd be happier with a GUte.
no 75 series ive ever heard of came with a 1hdft factory fitted. the only vehicle to come with the factory 1hdft was the later 80 series. the 75 series is a good dependable truck but not suited to tough 4wding. they are to narrow, leaves all round, slow gutless somewhat soft engines. they make awesome tourers and brilliant work trucks. they do over time at least compared to a gq have alot tighter body that doesnt seem to fatigue as easy as the nissans.
the only thing going for the 75 over the gu imo is price a decent 75 would go for round the 15k mark. even a cheap gu 4.2 ute would be 25k. but by the time you add coils all round and the engine swap your not going to come out any better than the gu and have the niggling problems and noises associated with all the swaps your going to have to perform. and how much can you do yourself.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tthanks guys, even the boys over at 4wdaction ==> GU ute.

looks like ill be saving for awhile. 2 years of uni left so hopefully before i finish ill have one. i look forward to tinkering with the coil suspension and fuel pump and turbo modss :ahah: :ahah:

looking at setting up for a bit of everything 4 inch lift, lockers, canvas canopy, 35s, winch, make it dirt bike compatible so i can lug that around. maybe one day will go round this great country in it.

until then the good old lux and i will be making our way to the great cape. mods are started & will make it as comfy as a leaf sprung vehicle can.

hopefully ext year december? what do you guys reckon a good time to go or not?

cheers guys n happy 4b

·
Registered
90 Posts
no 75 series ive ever heard of came with a 1hdft factory fitted
yes sorry youre right, i was thinking of the 1hd-fte, im not up to scratch with my toyota knowledge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts