Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm on the lap around at the moment and have noticed higher EGTs on average (nothing above 450) since we've got to Tassie where it is of course much colder than the top end. Up there the EGTs almost never seemed to get higher than 350 (other than a big old hill)
That being said my oil temps are at 75-80 instead of 90 like they were up north.

Has any else experienced this? Could just be because Tassie is pretty much never flat haha

·
Registered
1988 Maverick TD42,
305 Posts
I don't think it is the air temp, I think it is the terrain. I struggled with EGT's in Tas simply due to the massive hills.... Perhaps that's what you are seeing. Unless there is some weird stoichiometry going on here with denser gas...

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol Wagon RD28ETi
196 Posts
What engine is important to be able to make any comment.

If it has ECU controlled engine (example: RD28eti, ZD30Di, TD42Ti, ZD30crd) then the colder air temp could cause higher EGT. EGT is usually related to the amount of Diesel being injected and burned in the cylinders. Colder denser air = higher air volume flowing through the MAF. ECU reads this and should inject more diesel. More diesel burning causes higher temps.

However this is only one possibility. There are many other factors that could cause higher EGT's as others have commented

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,079 Posts
What engine is important to be able to make any comment.

If it has ECU controlled engine (example: RD28eti, ZD30Di, TD42Ti, ZD30crd) then the colder air temp could cause higher EGT. EGT is usually related to the amount of Diesel being injected and burned in the cylinders. Colder denser air = higher air volume flowing through the MAF. ECU reads this and should inject more diesel. More diesel burning causes higher temps.

However this is only one possibility. There are many other factors that could cause higher EGT's as others have commented
He has a 2005 4.2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts