Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new Patrol wagon a few weeks ago and looking at fitting an ARB bullbar. My Patrol is white diamond and ARB say I can either get the bar painted the same colour or black. ARB seem to colour code all the bullbars on their own vehicles.

I dont intend to bush bash but the Patrol will tour the North West and be used offroad. I'm concerned that bullbar will get scrathes and chips with this type of useage because I dont what to have to get it touched up all the time. I have been living overseas for the last 17 years and just returning to Oz and 4wds so I dont have personal experience here.

Should i be concerned, what is the experience of other Patrol owners?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
nissan
81 Posts
Hi John, I agree with your summary, I think the black bar is the best for not highlighting stone chips, grasshopper guts and scratches.

best luck with your decision.
Paul.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
its a fourby!, if you intend on taking it offroad 'stone chips' on your bull bar is the least of your worries. If you think colour coding it will look better than go for it but whichever way you go there will be no stopping the inevitable

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
i have a colour coded arb bar and i have the scrape it on a rock ledge etc to put a scratch on it!! defiantly go colour coded i rekon it looks so much better and by the way mine had been on the car since new which is 11 years now

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, think i will go colour coded.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
standard ARB powdercoat is very poor quality.

Mine scratches more easily and has faded considerably in just over 12 months compared to the paint on the vehicle.

I'd get it painted bodycolour as the finish will be way more durable and also looks a whole lot better.

If you like it black I would consider getting it painted in a wrinkle finish (not hammertone, wrinkle/textured finish). Can be very tough, easy to touch up and looks different.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Didnt we do this thread a few mths ago? 100+ posts and it ended up an arguement and 50/50 on whats the best option...?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
To help you make up your mind. I like them both black and white, but decided on white for mine.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JohnH - what are they quoting for a colour coded bar and what type?
Hi Pedro painted, fitted, deluxe (dont know what that means) winch bar with fog lights $2,080 but i havent haggled yet.

Any got a price or know how flexible ARB are on price?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Squalo your Patrol looks great. I will go with white for sure.

Do you need to take the bullbar off to fit the winch?

To help you make up your mind. I like them both black and white, but decided on white for mine.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Hi John, there's plenty of room to fit a Tigerz11 single-speed 12,000lb winch with the bar on - I can get my head between the winch and the radiators (auto box) and I've got a fair sized bonce! I picked the bar up in my Territory, had to take it out of the box, no big deal, and fitted the winch up in the lounge room then fitted the bar, but you could fit the winch up with bar mounted fairly easily.

As for price - can't remember but I think I paid around $1900 all up for Deluxe bar with white colour coding. ARB Maroochydore. I'll see if I can find the receipt tomorrow. I didn't bother with ARBs foglights, seems like a waste of money to me. I have a headlight wiring loom upgrade waiting to go in with bigger halogen bulbs ($155 off ebay, seems well made), and will get some spotties from Jet-6 when I get around to it - probably Lightforce 170 halogens.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts

If you fit it at home (saved me $180 bucks) you're welcome to PM me for tips. It's fairly straightforward and the ARB instructions are very good. You will need a torque wrench, along with a good socket set, and a strong helper to mount the bar on the chassis horns.

If you go with a Tigerz11 winch you will need longer bolts than what Tigerz11 supply.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have mine colour coded, as it looks like part of the car & not an add-on, TJM standard colour is powdercoated BLACK INOX (black with metalic fleck) looks good, very durable, you dont see stone chips or scratching, all bars are winch compatable, & I do special pricing for forum members so you can $ave heap$

cheers piglet
TJM COOPERS PLAINS

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a colour coaded bar. Was put on new in 2003.

Has a few stone chips and a few scratches, but then so does the bonnet and guards. Its not faded and looks pretty good still.

This was taken last year.

Sorry dont have a more recent one, or a close up.

One hint is keep it polished even if you don't polish the rest of your truck. Bug splatter is a bastard to get off any bar, but it looks worse on a colour coded one.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

If you fit it at home (saved me $180 bucks) you're welcome to PM me for tips. It's fairly straightforward and the ARB instructions are very good. You will need a torque wrench, along with a good socket set, and a strong helper to mount the bar on the chassis horns.

If you go with a Tigerz11 winch you will need longer bolts than what Tigerz11 supply.
Thanks everyone for the comments, I will go with colour coded and may skip the fog lights after seeing Squalo's

Squalo do you need to take the headlights and grill out to fit the bullbar?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts