Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing a friends patrol with Baja Claws in action on the weekend i was really impressed at how well they performed when pointed in the right direction they really seemed to push through in a straight line.
However they were a hassle to get out of ruts and stay out, as well as having problems with understeering and sliding sideways on uneven surfaces.

My question is:
  • Has anyone tried a combination, Baja in the rear and something a little more 'point where you wanna go' up front?
  • Is there any reason why not to do this?
  • What are peoples experiences in doing so?
  • Has anyone got a suggestion for which tyre would suit being up front and keeping the vehicle on track?
  • And are their any disadvantages?

cheers

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Some comp blokes used to run Boggers and swamper combos.

But your saying in 1 breath claws are great, then your saying there not and you need 2x something else to make it work...

There are tyres out there that are all round good.. some are a compromise, some arent.

YMMV

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
I had BFG Goodrich AT on the back and Federal Couragia AT on the front with no dramas but I only used 4WD in sand and gravel (no rocks) where the different rotation in front and rear could be eased by the tyres slipping on the loose surface.

I guess something with a centre rib would help with the point and shoot but then in mud you might as well use 2WD.

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yea i took into account that both sets should be the same size e.g. 33" for the exact reason that voids is describing (apologies for not stating that in my first post) I have heard that there can be slight variations in size between different manufactures even when they state that its a 33" tyre, is this true?

Even when in 2WD these Claws pushed the patrol up some prity muddy hills, it was through the day that the driver ran into problems with alot of understeer and problems in directing the car much the same like alot of people who run this tyre.

Like Luke stated maybe something with a centre rib would help keep it pointing in the right direction.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Sidewalls and onroad handling is a disadvantage. The new TTC Claw might be better option?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I borrowed a set of claws once and they were so bad words could not describe. They have no sideways grip at all and weak sidewalls. Why are you even contemplating them? And they are a small 33", more like a 31.5". (yes different tyre brands have different actual sizes than what is written on the side of the tyre).
For the hassel to try and make them work with 2 different types of tyres its not worth it, as has been said a better allround type tyre would suit better maybe.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
All4Diesel said:
Even when in 2WD these Claws pushed the patrol up some prity muddy hills
you would find Simex Centipedes, Swampers, and Treps would do the same.

it was through the day that the driver ran into problems with alot of understeer and problems in directing the car much the same like alot of people who run this tyre.
you would find the above tyres wouldnt suffer from that as much if driven the same as the Claws were in the same conditions. and as Adam said, the others are closer to the actual size than Claws.

but none of them are cheap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts