Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me if this welder is ok for a general handyman type use, I know it says it is for general use.I am buying for my son who will only be using it as a hobby type thing as he is more an academic that a hands on but wants to learn.

cheers.

larger image
Cigweld Transmig 175I 240V Mig/Tig/Arc Inverter
AUD$1,049.00
Contact Us

NEW PRODUCT

The CIGWELD TRANSMIG 175i is a self contained single phase multi process welding inverter that is capable of performing GMAW/FCAW (Mig), MMAW (Stick) and GTAW (Lift TIG) welding processes. The unit is equiped with an integrated wire feed unit, voltage reduction device (VRD applicable in stick mode only), digital voltage and amperage meters, and a host of other features in order to satisfy the broad operating needs of the modern welding professional.

Features
Multi process capabilities: MIG, Stick and DC Lift TIG
Standards compliant VRD
VRD ON/OFF Indicator Lights
Digital voltage and amperage meters with preview
Multifunction Control- Infinitely Variable Voltage, Down Slope & Arc Force
Infinitely Variable Inductance Control
Push Button Trigger Mode Control (MIG and TIG Mode only)
Push Button Process Selection Control
Digital Voltage Meter
Thermal Overload Indicator
Excellent operator appeal

Processes: MIG (GMAW/FCAW), Stick (MMAW), Lift TIG (GTAW)
Supply Voltage: 240 volt AC +/15%, 50/60Hz (15A plug)
Current Range: 10 - 175 amps
Duty Cycle: MIG(GMAW/FCAW):25% @175A,22.8V(40C,10mins,)
Stick(MMAW):20%@175A, 27.0V(40C,10mins),
TIG(GTAW):25% @ 175A, 17.0V(40C, 10mins)
Recommended Generator: 9 kVA for maximum welding current
Weight Plant (packed): 23.0kg
Dimensions Plant: 460mm(H) x 320mm(W) x 590mm(D)

Plant Contents: Transmig 175i inverter power source, Tweco Prof MIG torch, Comet Prof Argon Regulator /Flow meter, Feed Rolls: 0.6/0.8mm - V groove(fitted), 1.0/1.2mm u groove; 0.8/0.9mm v knurled, Contact tips:0.8mm(fitted), 0.6mm;0.9mm,1.0mm, Electrode holder 4m lead, Shielding gas hose assembly, shoulder strap, product bag, operating manual.

Applications
Maintenance workshop, onsite tradesperson, light industrial and rural repairs

Model: W1005175
Manufactured by: Cigweld

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
I personally get him to learn ( say TAFE night course) first, see if he likes it, then buy a welder. No good buying him one if he doesn't like welding and then it sits in the shed collecting dust.

Just my personal opinion.

Looks like a good unit, maybe a bit too big for hobby work. The professional welders on here will know better. I have only been welding 6 months myself, I am looking at some smaller units for myself.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been teaching him with my mig 195amp. he wanted mine as I am after a 250amp but thought I will keep the 195 one I have and use it for light ali. so I dont have to keep changing the thing over.

Shane.

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
The only problem with a mig for hobby or ocasional use is that you have to pay RENT on the gas bottle and pay for the gas. Have a look at the gasless mig, they are ok for light work and there is no rent to pay.
Other than that, buy him a Transarc junior or similar in a stick welder, I have built many a truck body with a Transarc. Learn with a stick welder first I say, altho they won't do mig or tig..................... or frig!!:punkrock:

·
Registered
Nissan
1,442 Posts
I looked into this unit, this time last year. I was told I would be available just befor Xmas last year, but it looks like they got held up.

And for a thousand bux, think I might invest :)

·
Registered
nissan gu
84 Posts
Welder

Hi DirtDevil,
I agree with jackd to see if your son likes welding first, unless it is actually for you, cough, cough,.
It looks the goods, my rule is when buying tools, is always buy something that does more than you want at the time.
This welder fits the bill as it does more than a hobbyist would use, but has the potential to do everything a serious Patrol owner would want.
IMHO Go for it

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good point ferret, but as my company will pay for the bottles its not a problem.
I agree about the stick, I learnt that way and have only had a mig for around ten years.

cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
That is one hell of a welder and would love that myself. The ability to do mig, stick and tig is awesome. I have learnt that each mig and stick have their own advantages and disadvantages depending on the work being done.

For an starter it may have too many knobs, controls and options, and may take longer to set up then to do the actual work. A pro would know what they want just by looking at the work to be done.

Agree with learning on stick first but it sounds like he is already learning mig.

IMO probably a bit much for a beginner, but it is a good alrounder for a home handyman who is proficient at welding.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a good unit. Decent duty cycle, do it all, and a good brand to top it off with.

Kinda jealous - I've got a weldcorp jobbie from Bunnings (Won it in a raffle, so the price was right), and I don't like it, it's really a "my first welder" type of machine. Two switches for amp control, a painfully short ground cable, and an overall average feel to the build. Hired a bottle of gas the other day to try my hand at GMAW welding instead of using the flux core stuff ($20 for <1kg roll from bunnings vs $40 for a 15kg roll of GMAW wire), and need to try to find night welding courses in Perth.

Another thing - I'm pretty sure that welders keep their value pretty well. I could be wrong, but when I had a brief look at the secondhand market, they were bloody pricey for even the really old machines.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I've been unimpressed with Cigweld welders in the last 10 years. Problems with their electronics. That's been constant use in an industrial environment though.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went and looked at it today, only down side is they only take 5kg reels. said it will weld 6mm ali, but Im not sure about that, but it may.
Equivalent welder straight mig, $600.00.

cheers.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I went and looked at it today, only down side is they only take 5kg reels. said it will weld 6mm ali, but Im not sure about that, but it may.
Equivalent welder straight mig, $600.00.

cheers.
The downside of 5kg rolls is they are the same price as a 15kg roll. So much for steel being priced by weight :( but they tell me it costs the same to make 5kg rolls as 15kg

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sudso, I find with my mig, if I dont use it for a while the reel starts to go rusty. So a five kg will be better for that I think.
Do you think this welder will weld 5mm Ali?
Thought you would be at the morgan meet up mate.

cheers shane.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
You'd expect a good welder to be able to do ali.

A tip I read about the wire is if you're not going to use it for a bit, chuck it in a plastic bag with an open box of bicarb soda or a few of those Do Not Eat packets that soak up moisture, it'll keep the rust away.

And if you're mad keen like I am, buy the big roll and then roll it onto the smaller roll. Mind you, filling up that 0.9kg roll off the 15kg roll was pain in the rear end enough :p

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats a good idea, I wonder if you could do it in the compartment in the welder.

cheers.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
The only problem with a mig for hobby or ocasional use is that you have to pay RENT on the gas bottle and pay for the gas. Have a look at the gasless mig, they are ok for light work and there is no rent to pay.
Hey Ferret, Super Cheap now sell a mini Argon bottle for not much that sorts out that problem for small jobs or occasional use. Most big Tools stores stock them too.

Or you could type Argon into ebay or Google and have no dramas finding something to get the job done.

argon bottle, Industrial, Home, welding gas items at low prices on eBay.com.au

The little bottles fit in the bag too ;)

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
A point to consider about the welder - Just noticed that it's a 15A plug. If you don't have any 15A sockets, you'll have to get a sparkie in to check that the wiring can handle it and put on the proper socket.

Considering the machine, I'd personally see it as worthwhile.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
241 Posts
Another thing to consider is they don't come with the tig leads
Asked in my local store today and the tig leads are another $300

1 - 20 of 22 Posts