Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above, I am going to lay about 160 metres of pavers and am going to buy a vibrating machine.
First I need to know what weight machine, 60kg,80kg or 100kg.
2nd what do you put on the bottom so the machine does not mark the pavers.
The pavers are clay.

cheers shane.

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Not sure on the weight of the machine as that will depend on the type and thinkness of the pavers you are laying. Also depends on the material (concrete, clay, natural stone etc). I put down limestone pavers and you can't whack (vibrate) them as they are fragile. The thinner the paver, the lighter the machine. Put old carpet under the vibrating plate to protect the pavers - it works a treat. Some hire machines may come with rubber mats which may be ok.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
ummmmmm you shouldn't compact pavers ..... thats all done in the prep work ie formwork to work to, plus sand base (whack that) then scree the sand off level again with a concreting scree .. lay pavers on prepared area and use a rubber mallet to position/finish.

·
Registered
nissan
115 Posts
I've been landscaping for eight years and you definatly vibrate the Pavers once they are down ! I'd go the light machine, that will still do the job fine and as outlander said just a piece of old carpet tied to the machine will be fine, and also hire machines should come with a rubber mat. Just make sure you have swept some pave lock into the gaps before you vibrate or your Pavers will move.
Cheers josh

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK then I must have got it wrong, I will will be putting 100mm of quarts down and compacting that, then 50mm sand and compacting that.
Then screed that off, THEN I thought you layed the pavers and then run the machine over the finished job to settle them in.
So you gut as saying thats not needed then?
The pavers are 50mm clay standard size for patio, and 60mm clay for driveway standard size.

cheers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that Josh, didnt think I was imagining that they get vibrated.

cheers.

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
Post 7 and 8 are spot on, definitely plate compact over the pavers, throw a fine layer of pave lock or just white paving sand over them, then run the plate compactor over it with some carpet attached underneath it, just be careful at the edges dont let the full weight of the machine run over the borders

1 - 11 of 11 Posts