Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
i like it dirty
nissan patrol
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be starting the process of upgrading all my suspension gear soon and im just wanting to know what all the suspension components are on a GQ, because a patrol that flexs like crazy gets me right off!

so um im just wanting to know if there are any parts i havnt listed that can be changed, what i want is a 4wd that flexs and be stable offroad. because it is shocking at the moment.

coils
shocks
panhards
steering dampener
brake bias
Upper and lower trailing arms.
extended brake lines
extended diff breathers
dropped/superflex radius arms
coil drop out cones (optional)
rear sway bar disconnects

and um dropboxes, what do they do? are they a different option to radius arms?
and a 5 Link. what does that replace?
And is it better buying things adjustable, or to suit the lift i have.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Sounds pretty good, u can leave out drop boxes providing u get the right superflex arms for your lift, also if u r getting a lot of flex u may need longer shocks and to move the mounts higher.

·
i like it dirty
nissan patrol
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
That's all well and good - but focus on front wheel travel - improve that and people will be chubbing up over your gq!!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Jaido If you are going to raise your lower shock mounts, you are going to need to raise your upper shock mounts and by more then you raise the lower mounts.

Drop boxes will give a better ride then radius arms but you lose a bit of clearance. You can run a single superflex arm with your drop boxes.

Shane

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Just remember you can't go cheap on this dude. Ramp flex does not always dictate real world traction.

IMHO you need to not look at build threads of guys with Long wheel base patrols - different wheelbase, different weights = different characteristics not to mention different problems when lifting and articulating.

I would suggest you follow the builds of people who have achieved stability & articulation in a shorty. sim79 comes to mind. If you are not looking to spend the sort of cash required to make it all work then you need to reconsider your expectations and potentially go for a low lift and maximise what the standard suspension can provide. this can work alright too - a mate had a shorty GQ on 35's with a sagged 2" lift - no bumpstops fitted, we simply trimmed the panels which scrubbed badly. Reattached the factory flares by drilling holes in them, holes in the bodywork and using Zip Ties. It looked cool and it worked great lol. It went just about everywhere once it had a front locker fitted - it very regularly had a wheel in the air but smooth driving and its low center of gravity kept it on the ground. Was a very fun vehicle and never gave ANY mechanical problems related to flexing (apart from bushings wearing out).

Anyway, as for clearance, ask yourself, is there anything you get bellied out on at the moment and could this be resolved with an underbelly skid plate or does it need to be more lift?

·
i like it dirty
nissan patrol
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks guys.

i desperatly need new shocks though.

Ive never tried anything hard enough that could possibly get stuck on because my wheels have no droop and its just bad in ruts.

So when i get new shocks ill see how it goes then. i just want be able to drive though ruts and have wheels that touch the ground, unlike now.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
ok, another suggestion having done this a few times on different vehicles - if you buy it in stages you may end up wasting money when you realise something you cheaped out on does not work the way you wanted it to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts