Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heuy you computer guru's, my brother in law is running vista on his system. His computer starts normally but when he goes to open Any programme it comes up with;

OPEN With

Recommended programmes

Adobe 9.4 Internet Explorer

Other Programmes

This is in a box on the screen, no programme will open without this screen coming up.
Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated. Is driving me nuts him ringing me all the time with this problem.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,558 Posts
He needs to go into the file associations and set *.exe extension to explorer.exe

or just try this....

start menu -> default programs-> set your default progs -> click explorer -> set this program as default.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
or get a copy of Win7 and start again with a stable sensible OS, or get a Mac. Or maybe use google - oh he can't :),

·
The Act of Faith
nissan patrol
2,650 Posts
= GARBAGE

HORRIBLE SHIET even vista, stupid POS!!!!

i reverted my system back to XP, much more stable and i can set it up the way I want AND IT DOSEN'T CONSTANTLY UPDATE ITSELF!!!!!!

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
Ha ha ha...

Run XP, nothing new works!

What's more, XP is small and light, as new machines grow in power and speed, your XP run machine will leap forward faster and faster, while everyone else running the fat, heavy and 'not yet compatible with anything' up to date software keeps slapping themselves and shouting "this POS is brand new, why won't it work"...:p

PS: Vista is a JOKE, your brother in law was conned; never, ever listen to the salesman!

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
I was running xp professional (now win7), xp pro was brilliant but it's not being supported or updated anymore i thought?

Or are you guys running win7/vista in xp mode?

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am running win7 and not having any probs. It came with my new machine.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Win 7 is the only operating system advanced enough to make the most of my operating system, yes XP will work but wont exactly use all the features I have paid for.

Win 7 isnt too bad, but its a bit fluffy (ie I dont have the control I had with XP for system and file properties) and it has this thing called Aero theme setting, I MUST use or some features dont work, where I would rather use Windows Classic theme. Just **** like that....

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
I was running xp professional (now win7), xp pro was brilliant but it's not being supported or updated anymore i thought?

Or are you guys running win7/vista in xp mode?
I never update ANYTHING!

Who needs suport? Use a remote hard drive and if anything goes wrong F-Disc it's arse and reinstall....

I have full control of my PC, set it up how I want it and that's it...

I don't need any help from HP, MICROSOFT etc...so all updates are turned off, and i only use older versions of office etc.

There is NO need to use anything past 2003, new features in later programs are all redundant and just a marketing ploy to get you to buy new ****.

The only reason new machines have way more RAM and faster, multiple processors is to handle the overly bloated modern operating systems....

It's all junk, but they need a new program every couple of years to get you to go out and upgrade, otherwise they go out of business...

Try to find a nice, streamlined copy of XP Black Ops...

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,558 Posts
Gotta agree with you there stic I run XP Pro on a P4 2.4Ghz at home I bought second hand a couple of years ago for 50 bucks. All updates are turned off, no bloat ware is installed and it runs just fine and dandy.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
My desktop got slow over the years so once or twice I reformatted the HD and did clean installs which gave it a new lease of life, it's packed away in a box now but one day i'll get a new harddrive (it's only 20GB) and bring it back to life. I put a kickarse motherboard and graphics card in it so will just use it for gaming and basic program stuff.

One thing I did do this week was install IE9...didn't like it much, every time I wanted to save a webpage it defaulted to Save As - Webpage Complete (*,htm;*,html) where I prefer saving as Web Archive Single File (*,mht).

Had to change it manualy everytime where as on IE8 it will stay on the latter. Anyway I reverted back to IE8.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Win 7 is the only operating system advanced enough to make the most of my operating system, yes XP will work but wont exactly use all the features I have paid for.
Haha...so you have an operating system to run your operating system.
When are you installing a ZD.30 as a starter motor for your TD4.2. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts