Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,i updated my pc last night through windows update. hadent done it for about 2 weeks so there was about 15 updates.

did the update,restarted and now my rig is absolutly **** house. i tried a system restore to a time just before the update but the problems was still there.

i updated again and its the same, CPU fluctuating, lots of ram usage,but the worst... web pages are taking a bit to load and are all laggy.

Anyone else have a problem like this? im using windows 7 and if i cant find the problem im going to do a clean install of windows

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
First problem is: Using windows 7.
Next problem is, never ever update anything!

F-disk it, load XP, turn off ALL automatic updates and never allow manual ones and you'll be sweet!

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Bugger going back to XP, that's a terrible idea!
I've kept Vista running pretty damn solid for the past three years (Don't ask me how, I think I got lucky), so I'd say a fresh install of 7 and a bit more selective updating would be the goer.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
My computer has been slow lately...needs an upgrade I guess. Have you defragged it lately?
Run Clean Up? Got rid of any old programmes lying around? Sometimes helps to have a good clean out but if it's old it's hard to get rid of everything. I also have a new laptop running on the same modem/router...goes like the wind so not my connection.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
STIC said:
First problem is: Using windows 7.!
Windows 7 is the only version of Windows I'd pay money for.

we have 32 machines at work with 32 and 64bit (well only 1 on 64bit, my lappy)....

upgrading my clunker at home to win7 ASAP. FWIW I rebuilt my regular PC every couple of yrs anyway, but i do download/use a lot of cracked progs that occasionally cause issues. they dont need it, but it helps clear the **** out of them.

What is running on the task manager? eg: what is using all the memory and processor. what are their status?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i find the updates only slow down the computer, that is the only thing i have ever noticed them do,

so now i dont update anything for windows 7 and i just run the free version of avg and i have never had any issues

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah cheers guys. i love windows 7,its the best i think. XP was the best but i wouldnt go back.

Truckster, it was weird i couldnt findany program running that was using cpu even though it was fluctuaing. i looked into my resource moniter and found a error(bloody hard to find!!!) saying adobe flash was rooted. so i went into uninstall programs and uninstalled everything to do with java and adobe,then re installed

i am pleased to report it is fixed(for now)

this is the first time windows 7 has let me down.

thanks for the help guys

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
No no no no no no no

Do this BEFORE ANYTHING..

Restart the pc and as its turning on keep hitting F8. When prompted go into safe mode.

once in safe mode, check your task manager. If your cpu and ram usage is thru the roof, you have a hard ware issue. If its not you have a software issue.

So what to do if you have a software issue? Ok ill explain.

Exit safe mode by rebooting the computer. Once your back into normal mode click start (the circle in the bottom right hand corner)

Where it says "search programs and files" type the following in. msconfig

hit enter, a box will pop up, the 2nd last tab across the top is "startup".

Select that, you will see a whole bunch of ticks down the left hand side.

Select uncheck all.

Reboot and check your task manager again and then tell me what happens.
Your cpu usage and ram usage should come way down.

To undo this just follow the procedure in reverse.

Ive been a tech for over 20 years, and despite what people say, Windows 7 is farking great.

Its like me saying "my diesel engine is rubbish" becuase i dont understand it (i wish i did).

PM me or msg me back here if you like anytime, im more than happy to help.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Tonka...I'm still running XP on my desktop. Will this work for me? It's donkeys years old now but has given very little trouble. Btw it's only 40gig hard drive and 500mb ram. I run a very lean system.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers tonka. yeah adobe gives me the ****s hey!!!!

if my pc plays up again ill follow your instructions.

win 7 is mint hey,i use my pc to rin my home theater,its on 24/7 and records my tv and all that.couldnt live without it i dont think :)

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
Tonka...I'm still running XP on my desktop. Will this work for me? It's donkeys years old now but has given very little trouble. Btw it's only 40gig hard drive and 500mb ram. I run a very lean system.
time for an upgrade man, although if you hang onto it for long enough it might increase in value as an antique

·
85kw of Brute Strength
nissan patrol
829 Posts
off the side of the box of the pc i got on monday

microsoft windows 7 home premium 64-bit dvd
intel-core i7-2600 3.40ghz quad core 8mb cache
12g ddr3 1333mhz memory
ati radeon 2gb video card hdmi, dvi, vga
high definition audio 5.1
2tb 7200rpm sata 3gb/s
multi write dvd rw sata
19 in 1 media card reader

·
85kw of Brute Strength
nissan patrol
829 Posts
hey man,dont get 1 from harvey norman. go to a computer shop and get 1 built to meet your requierments.

if ya go to harvey norman,barter the **** out of it
funny you should say that , i have a friend who insists on getting them custom built......

he's been through 3 in the time i had my old off the shelf HP from hardly normal....

lost count of the times he had his back in the shop, mine went back once for a graphics card

i'm not saying don't get a custom i'm just telling my experience...

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
First problem is: Using windows 7.
Next problem is, never ever update anything!

F-disk it, load XP, turn off ALL automatic updates and never allow manual ones and you'll be sweet!
worst advise ever.:lol: only ever turn off windows update if you are not connecting to the internet. and free antivirus programs like AVG just don't cut the mustard to protect either.

as for the issue, roll back your updates if you haven't already. if you fail at this, check the event log and if it is clear save your stuff and format it. windows updates do not cause hardware to break. Sometimes windows breaks. I've had a few strange issues of late related to windows updates and 7 networking - have fixed a few have had to format a couple. best part about formating windows 7 is its bloody quick to install and rarely do you stuff around getting drivers.

·
Registered
nissan gq swb
483 Posts
I am no computor wizz, but I found internet explorer8 slowed my poot down real bad.
Went back to 7, and not as bad.
I now run Mozilla Firefox with no problems.(when my internet connection bothers to work:()

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts
funny you should say that , i have a friend who insists on getting them custom built......

he's been through 3 in the time i had my old off the shelf HP from hardly normal....

lost count of the times he had his back in the shop, mine went back once for a graphics card

Agree, off the shelf computers are pretty good as they match the parts to make it stable, they are also plug and play.

I did have a Aldi one break the Motherboard last week but "its a ford not a Nissan" fixed it:)

Off the shelf can be cheaper than building one and they come with legit Windows 7 which heaps of people forget about when they design one.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

yeah, but you can get a pc built with a fast processor,good ram and basic graphics card for emails and net...customization my friend.

i got a hp from harvey norman, cost $2500, ducks nuts type thing... hard drive shat itself in a month and had to send it to new zealand and pay $750 to get all my data back. i hadnt had a chance to back my stuff up because i was still compiling off 2 other computers.

then the wireless in it stopped working, still broken.

will be building one myself soon.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts