Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan GQ TI
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Am kinda new to 4x4's and the world of wheels, I understand the numbers and what they represent, which is a start. however, i have a 2inch suspention lift on the gq and am looking to put either 33's or 35's on to it. I call vic roads just to check how the law on modifications with tyres go and they say that 33's and 35's are illeagle, so how come i see all of well most of 4x4's running large wheels? whats the go? :confused: are you all being naughty boys or is there something that im missing and not being told about???????

gazza

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
ill let jacket answer this one! lol.

nah i think most people run standard tyres on the black stuff n chuck the 33's on when they go wheeling. When i get my 33's im just gonna use them full time n risk it.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
garythesaint said:
are you all being naughty boys
yes.
ask you insurance company what they think of your car being unroadworthy too :)

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
Just being madly naughty boiz

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,695 Posts
Ha Ha...god bless NZ...drove past a cop the other day who had a swb Pajero pulled over with 35's, just didn't look right - probably why he pulled it over.

We're lucky...we can drive around on 33's, 35's, 37's...probably 40's and not be looked at twice by our cops.

·
BLACK BETTY
607 Posts
You need 32s to be legal.
Well there you go. I run 265/75 (32's) anyway so I am fine.

Has anyone been booked for running 33'? 35's I could understand. It is a bit more noticeable.

·
Registered
nissan
65 Posts
i have been told by numerous people that you are legally aloud to go 2 inches bigger and 2 wider than standard size tyres. and i have also been given two roadworthy certificates with two different vehicles at two different places with 33 inch tyres(one had 33/12.5 and the other was 33/10). so if i can get a roadworthy with these tyres on then surely my insurance company cant say anything.

·
Registered
nissan GQ TI
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the insurance company said that they would not insure a 33 or a 35 and should I be in an accident I would not be covered. looks like a 265/75/16 then on sunraisers! shame that, was looking forward to some cool rubber! thanks for all your input everyone!!

·
Registered
nissan GQ TI
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nicko84: thing with insurance companies is that they will take your money and when the **** hits the fan they will look at every avenue not to pay you! and if you hit someone else, best get yer chequebook out as your insurance company will be as quickly gone as a pome cricketer on the first ball of the ashes :)

·
Registered
nissan
101 Posts
Different states probably have different rules but would have thought that the load and speed rating were most important. I have heard the stories also of been allowed to go a certain percentage over OEM but....

In regards to getting pulled over by cops I reckon that would depend on just how far you are pushing it. 35's with 6" lift and a cop bar and covered in mud from front to back will propably catch the laws attention more than some bloke with 33's and a 2 inch lift.

That said insurance companies aren't in the business of throwing money at people. So it pays not to push you luck to far with them.

·
Registered
nissan GQ TI
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi guys, well made my purchase and went with some 265/75/16 with black sunraisers, although i have kept my original tyres and wheels so if pulled I have them to put back on. told the insurance company and they were ok with the change as long as I was only useing them off road and to and from off road destination. currently insured with aimee as the chick on the ad is a ripper! see sex does sell!! :) would like to have gone to 33's or 35's as would make my GQ look awesome but hey if I crash and have biggies on then I'm stuffed and with the additional cost in upgrading other parts of the car at this stage was a bit to much! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT!!

Gazza ;)

·
Banned
nissan patrol
178 Posts
up here you can go 15mm bigger than the largest OEM the trick is to find the tallest tyre in that size and if it's a GQ it's s7.5 R 16 or this wich is 812mm OD YOKOHAMA / TY287 / Sizing Chart
so I can go the BFG KM2 in a 33" because it's OD is 826mm :) the trick is to get a copy of the mod rules for your state and learn them well, then do shirt loads of research.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
up here you can go 15mm bigger than the largest OEM the trick is to find the tallest tyre in that size and if it's a GQ it's s7.5 R 16 or this wich is 812mm OD YOKOHAMA / TY287 / Sizing Chart
so I can go the BFG KM2 in a 33" because it's OD is 826mm :) the trick is to get a copy of the mod rules for your state and learn them well, then do shirt loads of research.

That's top info Troy, thanks for sharing here. I suspect that my STTs are illegal (well hell, my mate at a T-Mart TOLD me they were illegal after a cursory glance) so will use that method when it comes time to replace them.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
plenty of people in Qld been nailed for 285s/33s on patrols in their "blitz" they regularly have outside the gates of some 4wd comp.. theres dummy spitting every year about them waiting up the road from the gates of the place.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts