Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents I am a bit confused (easy I know). I have a 2001 GU Grenade. I have ordered a Dawes valave from the US and intend to fit this along with blocking the EGR and a catch can. However, I now find mention of a needle valve on the forum. Do I need to fit a needle valve along with the Dawes valve or just the Dawes valve?
All I want to do is remove (as much as possible) the possibility of the engine going bang.

TIA

Ivan

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
Gents I am a bit confused (easy I know). I have a 2001 GU Grenade. I have ordered a Dawes valave from the US and intend to fit this along with blocking the EGR and a catch can. However, I now find mention of a needle valve on the forum. Do I need to fit a needle valve along with the Dawes valve or just the Dawes valve?
All I want to do is remove (as much as possible) the possibility of the engine going bang.

TIA

Ivan
Just fit the Dawes valve mate and the other mods and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,634 Posts

TIA

Ivan
If you block the EGR and fit a Dawes valve you will need to install a needle valve to control the spoolup rate of the turbo.

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
If you block the EGR and fit a Dawes valve you will need to install a needle valve to control the spoolup rate of the turbo.
No you don't! Only needed if you want to take finer (read manual control instead of an ECU) control of the spool rate which is recommended but not strictly necessary. Cheers

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
For an extra 50-60 bucks for a DV06 needle valve I would add that to the list.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Just fit the Dawes valve mate and the other mods and you will be fine.
So how do you control the turbo once the EGR has been blocked? This being a 01 model with the primitive ECU.

The EGR being responsible for most of the bang problems.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,634 Posts
No you don't! Only needed if you want to take finer (read manual control instead of an ECU) control of the spool rate which is recommended but not strictly necessary. Cheers
You don't need a needle valve if you only want to install a Dawes valve to limit the maximum boost.
If you want to block the EGR you will need the needle valve to slow down the spool rate of the turbo. The ECU does NOT control the spool rate of the turbo.
Sure you can adjust the spool rate to a small extent at the turbo but this is a rough as guts aproach.

·
Registered
nissan
928 Posts
I ran mine with no needle vavle for a while when i first set her up. Worked fine but i found by slowing the boost spool the car was 1 to 2 L per 100 better on fuel depending on driving conditions. If you slow the turbo spool and just have nice steady boost i think it will make your turbo last alot long also. Personal thing really.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts