Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just joined up here on the advice of Tin tin. He's a good mate of mine who introduced me to 4wding. I'm thinking of purchasing an MK or MQ patrol, diesel of course, and would love a brief run down on how much I should expect to pay for a good one and what to look for as far as problems go. Rust, mechanicals, suspension etc. I plan to do light-medium 4wding as well as camping and would prefer a hardtop so I can remove the roof in good weather but still seat 5 undercover if need be. Thanks in advance, Joe.

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
Rust. eeerrrrrr rust.

Roof gutters
Radiator mounts
firewall
body mounts
mudgaurds
Sills
Footwells

Pretty much have a real good look around it and underneath.
also check the spring hangers on the front, they are prone to cracking but can be welded.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
youre lucky, i only wrote that buyers guide the other day. i havent included anything about price, think i might. as a quick note, to buy a mint one with lots of extras you can count the thousands on 1 hand.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum

The mk / mq are great trucks if you like tinkering

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a great read! Very informative. I know it's blasphemous on a patrol forum but I checked out a hilux turbo diesel today, it's a toss up between a hilux, patrol or land cruiser troopy at the moment. I'm leaning toward the patrol though, they seem like so much 4WD for the money.

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
My experience with a turbo diesel hilux was not impressive, although if I could find a real cheap diesel 1HZ and 5 speed from a troopy I'd have to give my MK a transplant.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Nissans in general are always cheaper than the toymota equivelant

Value for money you wont get much better than an MK SWB SD33T/5 speed

Coupla grand should yeild a reasonable one

Best bet for price guide,troll around on evilbay and checkout prices

BUT the main issue with the SD33T(3.3L diesel)/5 speed combos is a good running motor and box are worth more than the cars they are in,finding one could pose an issue

Failing that the L28 petrol (2.8L) are the cheaper end of the spectrum
Good strong motors , dont command the $$$ that the diesels do
But good fun machine none the less
There are factory SWB 5 seaters,a quick check on the ID plate will tell ya

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,306 Posts
Rust repairs to the body

not sure what happened there... delete this post :p

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm really hoping to find one with 2" lift and 33" muddies already fitted to save a bit of hassle doing it myself. I'm not going to be hardcore 4wding for a while so I won't need too much done to the car.
On the subject of L28 V SD33, does the L28 have a tendency to flood going up steep inclines? Can it handle some abuse without too much worry?

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
the l28 is a mad motor. i thrashed the death out of mine few times in the bush and went up some good hills. i was absolutely caining it for about 2 hours before i got bogged and left the car in the bush and someone stole it. would hold it around 5000rpm going up hills and drifting and mud and crap. id try get one on gas but. i always ran mine on gas.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
L28s arent known for there economy escpecially when compared to the turbo diesel
They are a strong hard revving engine ,5-6,000 rpm not a worry
But havin both here ,the L28 doesnt have the low down torque that the diesel does

Finding one already modded , if thats your thing
They can be had fairly cheaply again depending on the cars overall condition wether it sells complete or worth more in parts ???
Some overkill on accesories , then parts out to recoup their $$$

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
I'm really hoping to find one with 2" lift and 33" muddies already fitted to save a bit of hassle doing it myself. I'm not going to be hardcore 4wding for a while so I won't need too much done to the car.
On the subject of L28 V SD33, does the L28 have a tendency to flood going up steep inclines? Can it handle some abuse without too much worry?
Mate my advice after doing exactly what you want to do... find one that has been owned by someone who hasn't done a lot of offroad... stock as possible... parked under cover and hasn't been garaged anywhere near the coast. I've had two swb mq/mk's, the first was owned by a diesel mechanic... went well for ages but rusted out. Second was from a copper way up in North East Vic who had it for ages and used it on weekends only. Had to change a water pump and that was it.
If you want to mod it and add tyres etc budget for that, remember these cars are up to almost 30 years old.

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
I would be looking at 1985 and on with the sd33t and 5 speed. These models were the best of the series and had the best suspension, front end etc.
They pull well even with a caravan and are very economical.

Expect it to have around 300k on the clock. Check all the places already mentioned for rust but don't expect not to find any.
Check the main large air cleaner element to see that it looks as if its been changed at least in the last year or two. Likewise look at the oil filter to see if it looks to have been changed in recent times. Look inside the rocker cover. The bolts etc should have oil on them but no built up gunk in the recessed top of the bolts. When running the sd33t should not puff at all ( or barely) if you put your hand over the oil filler. Ask the owner how often they services it (look for oil change sticker on windscreen) and if they know what oil is used.

When the engine is warmed up bring the revs up and down slowly a few times and listen for the turbo. It should sound nice and smooth with a nice little whistle to it.

While your under the bonnet check the clutch and brake fluid levels. The clutch slave cylinders are prone to leak a bit but its no big thing and easy replaced.

Ask the owner not to start it the day you are looking
. When you turn the ignition on the glow light should go out after about 6 or 7 seconds but then listen for the actual glow plug relay to drop out (should be around the 11 - 12 seconds or thereabouts)
As soon as you here the relay drop out start her up. This time of year it should start easily with minimal smoke although don't worry if it is a little bit smokey as long as its not blue.
Listen for any knocks in the engine in the first few seconds. The oil pressure should climb up towards the middle of the dial (3) after 30-40 seconds and should run pretty well in the middle most of the time.

If its had the cooling system looked after properly it should run down low on the gauge around the first mark or even below that. Mine has never climbed higher than half even when climbing in hot weather.

Climb around underneath and check that the springs all look good and not sagged and look at all the grease points on the shafts and front end to make sure thay look as though they have been attended to.(There are about 12 grease nipples on mine) Check to see if its been bashed around. It should have 3 stone guards in place. Also check the drain holes/splits in the bottom of the sills to make sure they are not blocked up with dirt and mud.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Ric.

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks ric, some good advice there. I am looking at an SD33 MK with the 4speed manual and it's looking good so far. This forum is great, everyones got good advice. Cheers guys.

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
Too be honest, I would look for one with the 5 speed. much lower revvs at highway speed. :)

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
SD33 MK 4 speed , seems strange
Sure its an MK not an MQ ???

As for economy 4 speed Vs 5 speed

Getting 10L/100Ks from my ol MQ SD33 wagon 4 speed is certainly nothin to complain about

1 - 20 of 59 Posts