Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Β·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mate has a GU4 (2006 I'm pretty sure) and the auto has a couple of issues (well I doubt it's actually the auto itself).

It was a ZD30 but that crapped itself so he put in a TD42 built by my mate who did mine, did a great job. So you're in drive, overdrive on, but if you press the overdrive 'off' button on the side of the shifter, the light comes on the dash so that suggests the button is not at fault, but it does not disengage the overdrive. Doesn't really bother him but I drove it the other day and it pissed me off, just knowing something (that I'd never need to use lol) doesn't work as it should, if you know what I mean.

It also turns out, he says sometimes if you put it in to 2nd, then up to drive, it won't go out of second until you pull over, put it in park, then back to drive. Otherwise you're doing 4000 rpm in second at 80 kph, that would send me round the bend. Doubt this is related, maybe just a slight readjustment of the shifter linkage needed???

Anyway I haven't checked anything on it yet, but mine works perfect so I guess I can use mine to compare power signals to TCU if needed? I guess there's a signal to TCU to disengage O/D when button pressed, I can check the wiring diagram and have a look at that for a start.

Any ideas appreciated before I have a look at for him. Thanks in advance folks πŸ‘

Β·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Shayne

I can’t say for sure, from what he’s said the overdrive has always remained engaged if the TCU deems it to be so, even if switch turned off. When I say β€˜always’, I’m not sure if that was also when ZD was in it. He bought car cheap because ZD was extremely unhealthy so never drive it much with that in it, so I can’t say for sure.
I’ll ask him for more details when I see him.

Β·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
18,695 Posts
I think that video he talks about the O/D switches.. if not flick thru them.. he explains it.

Β·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Softy I’ll have a good look and send old mate the link too πŸ‘

1 - 6 of 6 Posts