Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Our car just returned from Nissan 2 days ago, following a routine service.
They discovered a coolant leak behind water pump, under alternator. Supposedly, gearbox has to come out for this to be checked/fixed.
They also found our injector pump moist from diesel underneath. They could not determine where it is coming from, but they did say it is rare for it to leak, as most damage is done internally. The car still runs perfectly fine and my scan gauge shows no codes or anything.

I'm not a mechanic, but having a quick look my self, I'd say, this could be a kill 2 birds with one stone job? As while they have the front ripped apart, they can replace the injector pump as well. Am I right to assume this, or is there a different way they get to the pump without gutting the whole front of the engine.

The other question is, the leaking pump, other then them failing inside, how common is the leak issue? Supposedly the timing cover coolant leak is very well embedded in the zd30 history. We are out of warranty so, I'm doing some homework. Nissans quote for this is $6000+, providing nothing failed on their mission to fix this.

Car is a 2010 STL, extremely stock, and has just clicked over 46,000.

Nathan.

·
Registered
nissan
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just bumping this . This is a costly fix so I have to make a move soon. I think the pump is more important. Forgetting the coolant leak, how do they normally get to the pump ?

Thanks ahead. Nath.

·
Registered
778 Posts
If the leak is the inner timing cover, then there is not much more to go to do a pump. If its further out than that, then there is. It sounds like they are pulling the sump off by removing the gear box.

A pump leak might be sweating on the supply lines. Best to wash it off and recheck. Why do you have a leak at such low kms?

Andy

·
Registered
nissan
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the leak is the inner timing cover, then there is not much more to go to do a pump. If its further out than that, then there is. It sounds like they are pulling the sump off by removing the gear box.

A pump leak might be sweating on the supply lines. Best to wash it off and recheck. Why do you have a leak at such low kms?

Andy
Hi Andy thank you kindly for the reply.
Yes, there is apparently bolts for the sump, which can only be accessed when gearbox is off. And they have to take the sump off, to take the timing cover off... I don't know which timing cover is leaking, but judging by where it's coming from, it is the same as a lot of others that I have researched across this forum, the other patrol forum, as even the nissan service tech knows this problem in-depth. Hes words are they do that many of them, they have cut down the labour hours greatly, as they are so good at it? Not sure if they're taking shortcuts or not, I don't know.

As for leaks, at such low mileage? I don't know. I'm very annoyed my self, that it's happened so early on... I know the car is 5 years old, but it's below 50k on the odo. It's very frustrating. I know for a fact the timing cover coolant leak is super common on all 3L, but I don't know about the fuel pump. I have been told chips can speed up pump failures by, more pressure? But mine is stock, no chip, no nothing. Regular fuel filter changed etc...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Push harder to see if they will do it cheaper or free. Ask about goodwill. Let them now you have done some research. Age shouldn't cause this problem.

Andy

·
Registered
nissan
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Push harder to see if they will do it cheaper or free. Ask about goodwill. Let them now you have done some research. Age shouldn't cause this problem.

Andy
Already played that car Andy. Their answer is, the car is 2 years out of warranty. As I said it is clean as a whistle, and the ONLY thing added to the car is a set of window shields and a UHF unit, still on original tyres and everything, but they do not want to know. ZERO interest.
This is even though the dealers own service manager told me how many of them they do (lots).
Been doing a lot of searching last day or so, across this and few others 4x4 forums, and the problems I'm having especially the coolant leaks are so widespread it's a worry.
Discussions with the missus are heading towards offloading it... If its failing this bad at under 50k, I cannot trust this car much further. We got duped by the dealer, that the common rails 2007 onwards are all sweet and fixed and no dramas... I guess we fell for his horse manure.
Nathan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts