Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy my coolant level always sits on the max in the overflow tank GU TD42T. Last couple of days while checking cold was right near the top. Checked the radiator this morning and couldn't see any coolant in the radiator and overflow tank was chokkas. Had a fair bit of coolant down the inside of the guard etc from overflow. Put a litre of coolant in the radiator and went for a spin. Coolant level back to max in the overflow tank and radiator is full. Any ideas ? Had it hot a couple of times on the beach Sunday say 3/4 on the gauge. Maybe just an airlock ?

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,041 Posts
You need a new radiator cap. The cap is supposed to provide a seal so that when the radiator cools it sucks coolant back from the overflow tank. Yours is sucking air in past the cap collar.

Cheers,

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried 3 different caps now. Still comes out of the overflow while driving and level fluctuates. After driving and letting it cool down there is a lot of pressure in top radiator hose which is evident when i take the cap off. Doing my head in

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts
Not sure how your system is setup but one of the guy's had a similar issue with his ZD30 last year ended up being a mix up in the caps, the one on the heat exchanger is to let coolant travel freely between heat exchanger and reservoir then the reservoir has the pressure cap that allows it to suck back from the overflow.

My 2 cents worth.

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks GU2. I have a pressure cap on radiator and just a plastic cap thingo on overflow tank

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Tried 3 different caps now. Still comes out of the overflow while driving and level fluctuates. After driving and letting it cool down there is a lot of pressure in top radiator hose which is evident when i take the cap off. Doing my head in
You may have already done your head in. Pressurising the radiator is a classic symptom of a blown head gasket. Get a coolant test kit to check for combustion gases in the coolant.

·
Registered
429 Posts
This sounds a lot like what mine was doing, and turned out to be the head gasket. Hope it isn't the case with yours. Fingers crossed for you. I had mine check by two seperate people who failed to detect the problem intially. They checked it with the car idling and couldn't find anything wrong. It wasn't until they took it form a drive that they found it.

Hope it's something a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks GU2. I have a pressure cap on radiator and just a plastic cap thingo on overflow tank
The pressure cap should be on the plastic tank on the L/H guard..This is the highest point of your radiator..The radiator itself has a metal cap with no spring or pressure arrangement fitted.

I dont think you have done any damage, but the temp. rise on the beach was enough to tell you that something wasn't right.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The pressure cap should be on the plastic tank on the L/H guard..This is the highest point of your radiator..The radiator itself has a metal cap with no spring or pressure arrangement fitted.

I dont think you have done any damage, but the temp. rise on the beach was enough to tell you that something wasn't right.
Nope its a TD 42 tds have the pressure cap on the radiator not the overflow tank.

·
Registered
nissan
572 Posts
Check the overflow hose isn't blocked and also that the hose in the overflow bottle hasn't fallen off.
Gives different symptoms but you never know

·
Registered
nissan
572 Posts
Nope its a TD 42 tds have the pressure cap on the radiator not the overflow tank.
Factory intercooled models have the same overflow tanks just like ZD30's so pressure cap on overflow tank.

Reactions: IPCH

·
Registered
nissan patrol
71 Posts
I had the same thing, i ended up needing to put a different presure cap on, i carnt remember but i think it was .9bar cap

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This sounds a lot like what mine was doing, and turned out to be the head gasket. Hope it isn't the case with yours. Fingers crossed for you. I had mine check by two seperate people who failed to detect the problem intially. They checked it with the car idling and couldn't find anything wrong. It wasn't until they took it form a drive that they found it.

Hope it's something a lot cheaper.
What did they find when they took it for a drive ?

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Check the overflow hose isn't blocked and also that the hose in the overflow bottle hasn't fallen off.
Gives different symptoms but you never know
How could the overflow hose be blocked if it is pissing out coolant from the overflow tank while been driven ? Just fitted new hose and fittings to overflow tank

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Try letting it sit there at idle with the cap off. Keep the radiator as full as possible and watch for bubbles. Park it facing slightly up hill also.

You might only see one or two bubbles in one minute. Hopefully you don't see any.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts