Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have posted about it before but still can't seem to solve my Coolant loss in the surge tank on the zd30. The level in the overflow bottle never seems to vary. I have replaced the thermostat, pressure cap on surge tank and hose going from surge to overflow, my thought now is to just put some "stop leak" in. Any ideas any one? I dont have oil in water or water in oil so I hope it's not cracked head:(

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
use "Seal Up", a glass bead solution that wont clog the radiator or any other parts of the motor other than the leak

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok will try that tomoro, do you need to replace coolant aswel?

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
get the coolant checked for gasses. any radiator place can do it

no oil in water doesnt mean the head isnt cracked.
but it will cross it off your list

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Humm ok

·
Registered
nissan patrol
326 Posts
Hey guys, I have posted about it before but still can't seem to solve my Coolant loss in the surge tank on the zd30. The level in the overflow bottle never seems to vary. I have replaced the thermostat, pressure cap on surge tank and hose going from surge to overflow, my thought now is to just put some "stop leak" in. Any ideas any one? I dont have oil in water or water in oil so I hope it's not cracked head:(
Saw a write up on unknown coolant leak that can not be seen. Possible EGR cooler leaking coolant into exhaust gases. Symptoms are steam (white smoke) out of exhaust, the amount would be dependent on the volum of loss in coolant. If I can remember where I read this (web) I will post the link up.

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's only a small amount

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
if you go the "seal up" route yes you need to follow the directions , flush with clean water then use the seal up stuff ....

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
34 Posts
Hi jplynch 90, I have same problem ZD 30( 05/2002 done 134000ks.) For sometime now have not topped up surge tank just left empty. The overflow tank as with yours, the level remains the same.
(Put a mark on the overflow tank to check.) I got jack of putting coolant into the surge tank as from what I could see when the engine warmed up the coolant overflowed onto the road etc.Hope this is good news for you and myself as I have not had any tests done on my engine. When I used to get my car serviced at local dealer (Last time 74000 kms ago ) noticed they never put coolant into surge tank. May be, hopefully, someone will come up with a good reason or have the same problem.
Regards,Ray

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So your saying there is no water what so ever in your surge tank? And i did put the "seal up through after flushing the system so hopfully if there is a problem that will sort it out. And man it takes ages to bleed air from the ZD!

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
34 Posts
Hi jplynch90,very sorry for misleading you, Geeeeees I really got my things upside down (to much port for desert ) It's my reserve tank THE BOTTOM ONE that is always empty. The surge tank fills up when engine is at normal operating temperature and when cold drops down to a bit less than 1/2 full. Thanks for the correction and I would GREATLY appreciate any feed back from you.
Thanks to Arwon I had that problem about 18 months ago when first started in the morning it was so bad could not take my car out of the driveway until it warmed up. Only did it 4-5 times then came good. Will know what to go for next time. It really made me change my undies as 2 people I know very well blew their 2001 models up. One cost $17500 the other $7300. Mine is 05 2002. Regards Ray

·
Registered
269 Posts
xmsokey, Does your Patrol still have the same levels???

Mine is the same. I top it up, then it ends up being empty again??

Have checked other Patrols and some seem to be same. whilst othes arent

1 - 13 of 13 Posts