Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
134 Posts
I just use the red / pink one in 50/50. Never had a problem with it. Y60 2.8 here in low temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
nissan
219 Posts

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
Interesting topic.

I also did a lot of research before putting coolant in the new motor. My previous engine was surprisingly clean of corrosion and scale when pulled apart. I have been using the CEM RMI-25 in mine for the past ten years but with normal coolant too.

RMI-25 or the race coolant and DI are probably the highest efficiency coolant medium. But they are not anti freeze, just anti corrosion and anti cavitation or surface wetting agent.

As far as Glycol is concerned, it does two main things one is prevents freezing in the system in sub zero temperatures, it also increases viscosity which reduces cavitation at the water pump, it might also help corrosion resistance too but that is not the main reason. BUT Glycol is not an effective liquid for hear transfer, not compared to pure water anyway.

The Waterless coolant, despite the advertising simply does not have nearly the same heat transfer capacity as water.

I also spoke to Penrite technical guys, they advised that their Blue coolant was the only one that was specifically tested to meet Nissan's newest standard for OEM coolant. It uses an "OAT" Organic Acid Technology corrosion inhibitor. I have used this in the new motor along with a dose of the RMI-25 as I have done for many years.

When travelling long distance I also carry a small bottle of the RMI-25 and if I have a coolant leak I would simply fill with tap water and the RMI-25 as a corrosion inhibitor. That is what I did when travelling around Australia a few years ago, blew a coolant hose fitting. I used an head gasket sealant first, then travelled the rest of the way with tap water and the RMI-25.

I use he Penrite OAT Blue coolant now with RMI however, If I were not ever going to be in freezing conditions then I would only use distilled water and the RMI-25.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,179 Posts
As you say Gee, not a lot of input on this topic. In my case, that was because I had nothing useful to say. :rolleyes:

A good question, and one I have asked myself often over the years. Which glycol based coolant is best??? Dunno!!!!

But @OldMav has been in my ear about Glycol, and its effects - mainly bad. So I have just ordered some RMI25 from Cost Effective Maintenance. Its cost is about the same as coolant from what I can see, so is worth a try for those of us not in below zero temperatures.

https://costeffective.com.au/product/rmi-25-cooling-system-treatment/

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
1,925 Posts
I have been using the green long life coolant for all me cars. Does not matter if the factory is red or green. Wife's Prado when it first came with factory red coolant, I just changed it to the green 50/50 mix. The car is 22 years now. Never get any issues. The key is to change coolant on time. I always change the coolant every 3 years even the spec is 5 years 750,000km. Coolant is cheap.......

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

·
Grenade Master
Nissan Patrol 05
2,642 Posts
So mixing RMI 25 additive with glycol coolant should then produce ultimate cooling medium ? Or am I confusing these things?
Just to throw a spanner in to this discussion what about this ==>
Super Soluble Oil Radiator Coolant
My concern would be that rubber seals designed for glycol coolants don't usually play well with petroleum products. Otherwise it sound as fantastic alternative.
Regards

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So mixing RMI 25 additive with glycol coolant should then produce ultimate cooling medium ? Or am I confusing these things?
Just to throw a spanner in to this discussion what about this ==>
Super Soluble Oil Radiator Coolant
My concern would be that rubber seals designed for glycol coolants don't usually play well with petroleum products. Otherwise it sound as fantastic alternative.
Regards
That would be my concern also, considering it is designed for veteran and vintage vehicles and one of the 'modern' ones I listed earlier is not suitable for aluminium engines after 1985, maybe we confuse ourselves with 'science'??

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
That would be my concern also, considering it is designed for veteran and vintage vehicles and one of the 'modern' ones I listed earlier is not suitable for aluminium engines after 1985, maybe we confuse ourselves with 'science'??
Same concern here. I had read about the use of soluble oil for old tractor engines and stationary engines. The oil itself is much the same as machine shop soluble cutting oil. But the possible problems with rubber and plastic components would concern me. Mono-ethylene glycol - or MEG is effectively a very soluble oil anyway, miscible in water and alcohol. In the petroleum industry we used massive quantities of the stuff to extract water droplets from crude oil and separate condensate water from raw gas. The MEG is pumped into the raw oil gas mix and then extracted and dried for continual recycling. I am sure if there was a better and reasonably priced liquid that is both anti freeze and raises the boiling point then car manufacturers would be using it.

Water by itself is more efficient and with a few additives for anti corrosion, lubrication of seals, anti cavitation and wetting agent is basically the best and highest efficiency heat transfer coolant as used in race engines, where they don't need to worry about cooling system freezing.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Coolant may help but is not the miracle cure for boiling
Agree, do not want this to turn into another thread on overheating, there are enough of them, this is about coolant types and their sutability.

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
840 Posts
Iam tossing up the best way to run rmi 25 and if I should give it ago - keep in mind I need some form of coolant as I do drive and camp in sub zero temps . So how much do I keep in the system to keep it working as a anti freeze ?

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
15 Posts
Where I live, in winter often have temp down -4 to -9 C regularly so use antifreeze (only ever genuine long life glycol based coolant). Up the mountains (snowies) even lower.

Found this interesting:

Came across this Penrite info on coolant types (A&B):
Type “A” has an Anti-Freeze Anti-Boil component.

Knowledge Centre | Penrite Oil

and what coolant does:

Knowledge Centre | Penrite Oil

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,268 Posts
Iam tossing up the best way to run rmi 25 and if I should give it ago - keep in mind I need some form of coolant as I do drive and camp in sub zero temps . So how much do I keep in the system to keep it working as a anti freeze ?
It can supposedly be used with coolants and is non toxic. Aparently you just add it at a rate of 1L per 80l of coolant.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

21 - 39 of 39 Posts