Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
In recent days testing, I will not be using RMI-25 in the foreseeable future. I'm not sure what has changed but it is not performing as previous.

Now currently on the quest for a suitable replacement.......
Would be interested in a more detailed reason why.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Why do they say it can be used as emergency drinking water but then when you read the SDS it says do not swallow and lists all the first aid for ingestion and skin contact. They don't actually list what the ingredients/chemical are just that it's a propriety mix of Xanthene.

Interesting that it didn't work out for you @plumma, what are you comparing it to previously some kind of glycol coolant?

Screenshot_20200325-191619.png

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

·
Registered
563 Posts
I must have missed something, where was this said?
In my screenshot I just posted straight from their website

Edit- just noticed that it was on a resellers website not the actual manufactures. But it definitely says non toxic on the website but the SDS doesn't suggest this to who knows

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
OK, got it.

No idea why. Damned if I'd even think of drinking coolant.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
In recent days testing, I will not be using RMI-25 in the foreseeable future. I'm not sure what has changed but it is not performing as previous.

Interested to hear about what way it is not performing. From talking to the guy from CEM the supplier of the RMI25, one of the things he reiterated was that it is an active cleaning ingredient that is used up in the chemical process of converting rust scale into a less harmful ferric-phosphate compound that is then in the water rather than coating the block and reducing heat transfer. That means as the stuff cleans the block, the water will change colour, then you need to flush it out fill with clean water and add more RMI25. It should continue to keep the surfaces clean and not change the water colour for a longer period next time (obviously that depends on how dirty, corroded the motor was to start).

·
Super Moderator
nissan
273 Posts

What was the difference in performance from before RMI-25

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,377 Posts
My td42 has had nothing but RMI-25 for the last 170k. I have used this is more than 1 vehicle as well.
I was a big advocate for RMI-25.
On the weekend while testing, we lifted the thermostat housing.
The system is covered in a brown slime that is greasy to touch.
In that past 12 months I've dropped the coolant over 10 times.
Every time re-dosing with RMI.

This weekend will be a system flush and then radiator removal for cleaning.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
My td42 has had nothing but RMI-25 for the last 170k. I have used this is more than 1 vehicle as well.
I was a big advocate for RMI-25.
On the weekend while testing, we lifted the thermostat housing.
The system is covered in a brown slime that is greasy to touch.
In that past 12 months I've dropped the coolant over 10 times.
Every time re-dosing with RMI.

This weekend will be a system flush and then radiator removal for cleaning.
Will be interested in further reports after radiator removal and clean out and check of the core, I was going to go to this stuff after I fix my little leak peranently during which I'll drain and flush.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,871 Posts
Never been a fan of penrite diesel oil but their other products aimed at the racing area seem top quality. They do make a racing coolant "10Tenths" Coolant inhibitor NO GLYCOL.

10 TENTHS RACE COOLANT INHIBITOR (CONCENTRATE) | Penrite Oil

The RMI-25 is a good product, and has been around for many years with proven results. Sometimes when the mixing is done in manufacturing it gets stuffed up but thats not the products fault, human error. If you doubt the quality of RMI-25 then there is the penrite product and probably just as good.

Plumma might test this product for us in the process.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I mention that 10 10ths in the first post and put the data sheet in post 19 (along with other data sheets), says it is OK for road use, but it is expensive.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,871 Posts
I mention that 10 10ths in the first post and put the data sheet in post 19 (along with other data sheets), says it is OK for road use, but it is expensive.
Its less than $30 to do a TD42. RMI-25 for $35 does two coolant changes.

I am familiar with the CAT product i am not a fan way to much checking Ph values to make sure its right if its not then your Alloy radiator melts.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts