Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys just a few quick questions, i am having some cooling issues with my ute its a 253 v8 in a HQ ute however just has the standard crank fan and shroud on a new radiator.

my question being is i can only have it still for a few minutes before it starts to heat up above 80degrees, but on the highway it runs about 50-60 degrees.

what would be my best plan of attach try putting twin thermo fans on the radiator first?

or just go to a 308 radiator and put thermos on it anyway?

all temps are in celcius if that makes a difference

cheers

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what would you say is a reasonable temp for idling and sitting in traffic?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Clean radiator, check thermostat operates as it should, check hoses is where I would start wa - ay before installin thermos. I only needed thermos when in traffic, and there was not much traffic in Mt Isa.
truck

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well its all new, and its been flushed when i got it tuned last month.

haha i would love to have the levels of traffic Mt Isa does....too many bloody people and stop lights in brisbane

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Is it a brand new radiator or a new for you 2nd handie ???
Just clarifying ???
If the factory set up worked for 20-30 odd years i doubt thermos are the bee all and end all here
( im not a great fan of thermos)
Thermostat,hoses,proper block/ heater flush
The heater cores on these ol holdens clog up over time
Have you had the motor checked for head gasket issues ???
These old holden V8s can run with the head gaskets put on wrong
They still run and well but run hot
Maybe get a pressure test done,that should show a problem

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
Timing?
Have you checked to see if your gauge is right ,HQ gauges were not that accurate.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Yes check the timing aswell. And the gap and dwell in the points. If your spark plugs are white, its too lean.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
has it got the fan shroud on it my vk 308 when i got it the bloke said it ran hot and he could work it out i got it home put a shroud on it that night and no dramas from then on

sorry just saw you said it had the shroud

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the gaps in the points are spot on, my uncle and i did them a little while ago as the points got replaces along with the condenser.

MQ MAD: its a brand newie from the radiator shop.
i might have to check head gaskets, and might enquire about the heater flush didnt even think about that.
the factory set up back then didnt have as much traffic as now. and it was fine when i lived in yeppoon as i drove it 100kms everyday to and from work 4 years ago with a ****ty radiator and and no fan shroud...

red 92gq: i have autometer temp and oil pressure gauges because the original is rubbish.

my brother in law was having the same issues with his premier and he put in a 308 radiator and it now runs fine.

my other question is how do i take off the crank fan and leave the pulley wheel there for teh water pump??

guys i really appreciate the help here! i just want to sort it out so i can go back to enjoying driving it without stressing if i hit heavy traffic.

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so i just having a talk to my brother in law, and after the suggestions you guys said.

the plan of attack will be:

• Rad and Heater flush
  • Timing, buy a new timing light...and test how it goes
  • install thermos..and test again
  • last on the list will be buying a 308 radiator ( a little bit of overkill but oh well)

i will let you guys know what the results are in the next week or so as i get them done

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
well i dont think it would be timing as it would affect it more when the motor is under load
the same with the head gaskets , it would be more evident at speed i would think, although a lack of coolant flow at idle could cause the heating issues
and if the radiator was blocked you would think it would be worse at speed

the fact that it runs at around 50 to 60 deg on the hwy leads me to think that either you dont have a thermostat or it is faulty, it is possible that the coolant is still traveling to fast at idle for the fan to remove enough heat

or the thermostat is in upside down, which would force the thermostat open at higher rpm resulting in the lower temp readings on the hwy, and may cause it to not open at all when at idle due to the wax pellet now on the cold side of the thermostat

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha funny you say that...the mechanic that did the work i dont really trust so i may as well start there...

long story short is that my dad left my ute with a mechanic for 4 months (the last four months i was in canada) and charged me a fortune because dad didnt keep an eye on him and this is not the first thing that is gone to ****e...

but i will definantly check that saturday morning!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
"Its a ford not a nissan",
Could be on to something regarding removal of the thermostat
Its an old skool trick ,and bein an old skool car,it would be something to check
Whip down to supercr*p buy a thermostat,maybe a new thermostat housing (they do corrode over time)
And perhaps do this first
It will be alot cheaper than buying thermo fans ect
Removal of fan should just be the 4 (I think from memory) bolts
The water pump/fan extension should still remain
Maybe look into a 7 blade fan of a V8 statesman(straining my brain here ???)
The 253 s are a 2 core radiator,the 308s are a 3 core
But IF you have a brand spanker radiator it will be adequate for the job

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Sounds like it has the lowest temp thermostat in it.

Does it have the standard temp gauge and if so where does that sit at cruise and in traffic?

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like it has the lowest temp thermostat in it.

Does it have the standard temp gauge and if so where does that sit at cruise and in traffic?

Cheers

Justin
i have an autometer aftermarket gauge in degrees celcius, i pulled the old thermostat out lastnight and put one i had sitting in my spares box....took if for a run through traffic and stop lights for about 30 minutes ect...did most of it without getting over 70degrees C which was pretty good.

then took it home and let it idle for about 5 or more minutes and it took most of that time to get to 80 and stayed so i turned her off...

then after when i shut it off i had coolant leak out of my overflow tube onto the ground...but thats ok as it would have gotten hotter when i shut it down and expanded. (it was a small puddle)

on the highway it cruises at about 50 - 60 degrees C in traffic it used to get well over 80 and when it got close to 100 i shut it down and pushed haha.

but maybe i will just get a brand spanking new thermostat new houseing. and install the thermo fans to draw more air when at low speeds(already bought thermofans).

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Its a ford not a nissan",
Could be on to something regarding removal of the thermostat
Its an old skool trick ,and bein an old skool car,it would be something to check
Whip down to supercr*p buy a thermostat,maybe a new thermostat housing (they do corrode over time)
And perhaps do this first
It will be alot cheaper than buying thermo fans ect
Removal of fan should just be the 4 (I think from memory) bolts
The water pump/fan extension should still remain
Maybe look into a 7 blade fan of a V8 statesman(straining my brain here ???)
The 253 s are a 2 core radiator,the 308s are a 3 core
But IF you have a brand spanker radiator it will be adequate for the job
the fan i have sussed out thanks to the suggestions i got a really good look the fan has 2 small bolts and 2 long that bolt it to the space and wheel. however the get them out i need to remove the radiator so might have to plan how i will do it....

i think i might have a 6 or 7 blade fan already running as i took it off of my statesman with the front seats to throw in the ute.

yeah i even looked into the cost of a new 308 radiator and got a few qoutes around $440 for the tri core which i might do down the track just to safe gaurd on hot days.

but i think i can see the light at teh end of the tunnel.

i also found a interesting product that some of the holden guys put me onto that race theirs...

TEFBA :: Engine cooling system Radiator filters :: Easy to CLEAN

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,226 Posts
I had issues with my 253 WB when I first got it, turns out the wrong coolant had been used and had corroded the heads and blocked them and the water jackets with rust.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts