Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruising on 100kph on the highway and this bomb goes off at my right rear. This is what I found after wrestling the Patrol off the road. The tread also managed to wrap itself around the axel nicely, extremely lucky it didn't damage the brake lines.

Looking at some MT MTZ's now...

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Same thing happened to me with 33" STT's, silly me bought a set of 35" STT's and they were the worst tyre i have ever owned.

Noisy, hard to balance, grip was questionable, wandered over the road, wouldn't clear tread in muddy conditions, ended up with basically slicks. Just terrible.

Id go as far to say that they were almost as bad as my Swampers on road, but no where near as good off road.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The date code is a little confusing. I bought 5 second hand 2ish years ago. One was a little chopped out from rubbing on a bull bar. All approx 5000km on them. Then bought another on a rim that was a spare and never used, still had the little lugs on it. I stored the damaged one and have rotated the others every 5000km when serviced. I just checked the dates 2 are 3510 and 3 are 1010 meaning 35th and 10th week of 2010. The destroyed tyre is totally different, the date code reads NO7L. Cant work that one out apart from being old!!

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Sometimes the date codes are only on one side. You're reading them right though, well done for that. Most people haven't a clue.
Absolutely check date codes on spare/ never used tyres. There was a Toyo M55 never used, still has a sticker on it on gumtree with a date code of 1997!

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,675 Posts
One of mine did that on the CT earlier this year. Made a mess out of the guard and tail lights.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
That's normal for Coopers lol

·
Premium Member
Nissan GU1 4.2
419 Posts
From what I know the newer ST Maxx don't have this problem, but my last set went with the car so I did not get to see the long term results

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Insurance claim on repair and tyre, just get a decent tyre/s for the price of a cooper:)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Well thanks for the post, just reconfirms everything I have heard about them and yet they still push that BS add that Coopers last 80,000+ KM, Pigs tit they do.

I'll stick to Michelin or BFG (same company I believe) or the cheaper Asian made Maxxis or Simex.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,072 Posts
That's normal for Coopers lol
I'm not a fan of Coopers either but I'd say they had a bad batch 4-5 years ago because before then I'd heard very little in the way of complaints about them but there was suddenly bad press everywhere about them falling apart. The ones that are still falling apart today generally seem to be older tyres from that era.

Cheers,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts