Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day Guys,

I know there are a heap of posts on tyre pressure on here, just after some advice on day to day driving on bitumen and what is the best pressure to run them at?

I have BFG 285/75/17's on a 05 3.0. I see some people run them at 35 front and rear and others at 35 front and 40 rear? Just wondering what the advantage is in this?

Generally the car is not carrying much load at all on bitumen driving.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
I would keep them the same and run 40ish. You'll get better steering feel and decreased fuel consumption and tyre wear. Lower pressures in that situation only help with ride quality.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The right tyre pressure for you will be different to some one elses.

I currantly run 25 in my GQ and 30 in the GU. The tyres wear flat and have been doing so for the last 60k kilometers.

The way i establish the right pressure for me is to check your tyres when cold and then do another check when they are warmed up.

If tyre pressure has increased by 4lb.then i would say they are about right. but if they only increased by say 2lb, i would say that they are too hard. I would then drop my pressures when cold and do another test until they only increase by 4lb.

This may not be for you,but it works for me and it's a bt more scientific than someone saying that this is what you should or should not have.

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
I agree with IPCH, different cars/weights etc due to accessories fitted will require different pressures. Use the 4psi rule to determine your ideal pressures. For me it’s 36psi front and rear unloaded around town.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I run 40psi in my MT's. It does go to 44psi when hot so i guess its about right.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
38 psi in my MT's front and back.... Unloaded

warm to about 41 somtimes 42.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,158 Posts
Just coming to the end of life span for my third set of BFG 265x75x16, smaller than yours I know, I run 38 (cold setting, have compressor at home) all the time and have for many years, when it's unloaded it is a bit harsh but I put up with it, loaded (which is 90% of the time) it's great, could go a little higher as I still tend to wear the edges a little quicker, but you must take bloody roundabouts into consideration here if you live in an area where there are a lot of them and you have to drive them daily.
If you follow the 4lb rule as suggested you will learn about what suits your vehicle much quicker. And as Chaz and IPCH indicated, you need to work out what psi suits your weight load and distribution.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
run a chalk line across your tyres, drive in a reasonably straight line .... check chalk wear ... inflate deflate .... drive again with a new chalk line .... (all on cold start). Keep adjusting till you get to your trucks sweet spot on cold PSI.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts