Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm based out near Ballan in Victoria at the moment and need to get some work done on my 97 GQ. I've got one quote from a local meechanic and would be interested to hear if the quote sounds reasonable.

I need new front rotors and have been quoted $100 per rotor + 3 hours labour. I think this sounds about right as it's a fair job due taking off the locking hubs and repacking the wheel bearings.

Total price quoted for: the front rotor work + machining rear rotors, replacing front shocks (I'm supplying the shocks), supply and replace rear windscreen washer motor (leak), wheel alignment and balance is just under $1000.

If this sounds about right then I may just go with the local guys. I figured there'd be a bit of a premium though for being the only shop in town.

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the area? I'm thinking Ballarat or Melton would be the best options nearby. I also need a small dent in the bonnet fixing up, so any body shop recommendations would be gratefully received too.

Cheers.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If your willing to travel to melton, you might as well go another 15 mins on the highway and look for a decent place around Sunshine, plenty of work shops you could try out. Your quote doesnt seem to bad, because labour is always expensive, but i think you may get a cheaper quote, and you would be best of comparing and ringing around.

·
Registered
Nissan GQ
154 Posts
It seems a bit rich to me, thats working on about $88/h.

Fit the shockies yourself its an easy job. As for the rotors $100/rotor is pretty good, if he can do the same for the rears then get them done aswell, and I'm assuming your doing pads too. If the old girl isn't wandering or wearing tyres then an alignment is a waste of money. A balance and rotation would be beneficial though. Realistically you could do all of it yourself if you can throw a spanner around and can read a manual, and it'll save you some cash and you get to know your truck.

My 2c worth!

·
Registered
88 Posts
eBay Australia Shop - SUNBURYBRAKES: clutch, brakes, discs

For the price they are charging you an hour you could replace all the discs,pads and install the shocks yourself for a lot less. But you need to be able to do it yourself.....None of it is that technical....all you need are tools and confidence and don't rush...

·
Registered
Nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I agree, it would be great to do myself. Unfortunately I'm in temporary accommodation at the moment after getting back from a trip round Aus and don't have, or have access to, any tools. Maybe I will wait until I am settled again to sort these problems out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts