Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you feel about the idea of having a compulsory tracking app on your phone to help in the fight against the coronavirus?
Me, the idea has some merit, I won’t be putting it on mine or my wife’s phone. I’m too old to do anything illegal these days and it would be an invasion of my remaining freedom. All my kids and grandkids bar one live here, we do practice social distancing, I’ve never been a hugger or kisser, sometimes my family need my assistance and the government doesn’t need to know this and nor do I need to explain this. I’m more than happy to limit my movements whilst we have this crisis. What happens after and I want to travel, would I need to explain why I’m in some remote part of Australia or some interesting (to me) place in a city. If it did become mandatory I would oblige, pity that my phone battery goes flat so quickly though.

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,773 Posts
How do you feel about the idea of having a compulsory tracking app on your phone to help in the fight against the coronavirus?
Me, the idea has some merit, I won’t be putting it on mine or my wife’s phone. I’m too old to do anything illegal these days and it would be an invasion of my remaining freedom. All my kids and grandkids bar one live here, we do practice social distancing, I’ve never been a hugger or kisser, sometimes my family need my assistance and the government doesn’t need to know this and nor do I need to explain this. I’m more than happy to limit my movements whilst we have this crisis. What happens after and I want to travel, would I need to explain why I’m in some remote part of Australia or some interesting (to me) place in a city. If it did become mandatory I would oblige, pity that my phone battery goes flat so quickly though.
The boiling frog syndrome,the nazis can stick their apps where the sun don't shine !

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
I wont partake in any Gov tracking either . like you @rgren2 , I see the merrit in this instance , but where does it stop ? .
I already make a point of switching Blue tooth / GPS etc off unless I need them , but I know if someone really want's to they can still track my movements Via my Phone , electronic transactions etc anyway .

Tin foil hat on here , but I dont like any of it , from this current suggestion of tracking us all to going completely Cashless .Our freedom is just being erroded away , and most people seem to be happy about it .
Even a perfectly legal past time of being able to plick in the paddock with the .22 has been removed/hindered by baning the sale of Ammo by the state goverment because of Covid-19.
I cant even go bloody Fishing in Victoria with my kids and we all live under the same roof . I'm not even talking about taking the boat out . I cant even go down the river for a fish of the bank . Even if I went on my own a 2km from my house without passing another living sole I'd be fined if caught.

If it where to become manditory, I guess my phone would be left on the kitchen bench even more so than it is now .
but if enough people did that , they would just introduce fines and make us all where the ancle bracelete's the crimes get.

Now I understand fully why social distancing messures are needed , and I honestly believe the boarder controls etc should have been introduced much earlier , but the inconsistancies across the states and country and out of control , and I fear that even if / when things go back to what ever the new normal is , we'll have given up and lost much more than a few months in isolation away from friends and family ( plus the obviouse ecconomic losses ) .

The boiling frog Syndrome sums it up perfectly .

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,659 Posts
My thoughts on this........................ :unsure: 🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕

Foo

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,965 Posts
I've got nothing to hide. Track away all you want.

...the inconsistancies across the states and country and out of control...
This is a fundamental problem with having a federation with what is essentially a bunch of "semi-independent" states. The only way to fix that is to take away some of the responsibilities from the states and give it to the federal government. For instance, the ability of every state to make up it's own vehicle modification rules does nothing but create confusion and frustration for ordinary law abiding citizens. This obsession with first-world "freedom & liberty" at every level of government from federal right down to individual citizens is partly what has created these inconsistancies. You can't have your bread buttered on both sides.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,659 Posts
I've got nothing to hide. Track away all you want.

This is a fundamental problem with having a federation with what is essentially a bunch of "semi-independent" states. The only way to fix that is to take away some of the responsibilities from the states and give it to the federal government. For instance, the ability of every state to make up it's own vehicle modification rules does nothing but create confusion and frustration for ordinary law abiding citizens. This obsession with first-world "freedom & liberty" at every level of government from federal right down to individual citizens is partly what has created these inconsistancies. You can't have your bread buttered on both sides.
I've got nothing to hide either but they sure as fork aren't going to track my every move and then try and profile me! :unsure: 🖕 🖕 🤬

Foo

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,659 Posts
This sort of chit should be imbedded into rock spiders and rapists!

Foo

Reactions: Haggie

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
9,299 Posts
The virus is all a conspiracy to show us we can save the planet, avoid tax fraud by making payments contactless, tracking devices that we already own and 5G is killing off the weak to provide us with a better more sustainable world to live in.
Everything’s I’ll be A ok once China takes us over.
We have already shown China how compliant we are.
All states will have the same rules including mod plates.
Only problem is I can’t use chop sticks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,106 Posts
If big brother wants to track me, he’s going to get pretty bored.

He’ll find I don’t frequent drug dealer’s houses, rob banks or attack grannies.

He’ll find me at home, a mate’s for a beer, having a pub lunch, at the shops or off camping somewhere (not withstanding current events).

I often leave phone at home for short trips anyway.

Nevertheless, if we are offered the opportunity to ease restrictions somewhat in return for 40% uptake, I’m assuming you lot are all for it as long as 40% of everyone else does their bit? 😆

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,604 Posts
Troy won't hear of it, but I think it can't hurt knowing where the virus is.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,144 Posts
Nevertheless, if we are offered the opportunity to ease restrictions somewhat in return for 40% uptake, I’m assuming you lot are all for it as long as 40% of everyone else does their bit? 😆
Easing restrictions "somewhat" ("somewhat" as defined by what the media reckon MAY happen in a month or so) will make SFA difference to me, so everybody can feel free not to download on my behalf.

Of course if you want to download it, knock yourself out.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
OMG here comes the latest conspiracy theory thread. If only we had a constitution as strong as the yanks we could cite that in our defence and everything would be right in the country....Just like it is in America.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
Don't be worried about your smart phone spying on you.

Your vacuum cleaner has been gathering dirt on you for years.

On a personal note, I wont be downloading it. Don't have anything to hide, it's more of a generational thing.

Unfortunately future generations, some alive today, are going to have to get used to being tracked and profiled. Exploding populations world wide, mass migration due to "climate change" and demand for more and more leftard "free stuff" (health, education etc) in western countries will simply demand it.

If covid dont kill a bunch of us over the next 5 or 6 years...

·
Registered
888 Posts
If it means relaxing restrictions and gettng millions back to work however unpopular, probly worth it
For example
Everyone allowed out and back to work (a good thing) with most having tracking
Some one gets crook and diagnosd
Team sees where they have been for week or so and alerts all those who had contact. Setup testing and medical resources to an area, even lock down a suburb or town
Those without tracking can keep going around spreading it and/or die - pandemic

Other option is what we have now, millions locked down and no cases anywhere near them

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,032 Posts
If it means relaxing restrictions and gettng millions back to work however unpopular, probly worth it
For example
Everyone allowed out and back to work (a good thing) with most having tracking
Some one gets crook and diagnosd
Team sees where they have been for week or so and alerts all those who had contact. Setup testing and medical resources to an area, even lock down a suburb or town
Those without tracking can keep going around spreading it and/or die - pandemic

Other option is what we have now, millions locked down and no cases anywhere near them
Agree, I'll sign up if it happens. Ch7 this morning says Govt backflips on making ph app mandatory, they never put out an edict saying it was going to be, conspiracy theories are a dime a dozen, it could lead to more freedom in these troubled times, not less.

·
Go The Knights and Blues
30,887 Posts
Agree, I'll sign up if it happens. Ch7 this morning says Govt backflips on making ph app mandatory, they never put out an edict saying it was going to be, conspiracy theories are a dime a dozen, it could lead to more freedom in these troubled times, not less.
I thought you were against it Ross?

1 - 20 of 297 Posts