Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 4.2TDI
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Discovered why it has been very difficult to close the large rear barn door properly.

Found this crack yesterday.

Have done a search here and found a company in Adelaide that can repair this. Too far to drive from Sydney. Does anyone know of a place in Sydney or its surrounds that will fix something like this?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
SH barn doors are usually $50 - $90. might be cheaper to just find a decent door
Personally I wouldn't go for this option. I would almost put money on the fact the second hand one would do exactly the same thing if you are hanging an oversize tyre on it. There aren't many people I know, including myself, with an oversize spare on the back who's door hasn't cracked in the exact same place. I would get it reinforced on the inside, and welded up. It is the only sure way to cure this very common issue short of not running a spare on the back.
My thoughts anyway. ;)

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,774 Posts
Very common issue. Just getting it welded, or replacing the door is not enough, it will happen again.
As the guys above me have said it needs to be reinforced.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 4.2TDI
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I was looking for someone to use some bracing and weld it up. There is a video of someone doing it in Adelaide and and also some photos here
GU Patrol Barn Door crack repair guide

Not sure if the link will work. Just copied and pasted it.

That is what I'm looking for but I don't have the skills myself. Need some to do it. Around Sydney.

My mate with a 2003 wagon just discovered exactly the same thing on his rear door.
Now there are two of us with the problem.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Worked for me. A useful post, too. Must go and look at my rear door when I remember...

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,314 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Its common even with std spare wheel
Nissan has repaired plenty, they should know which panel beaters can help
Id have thought most repairers would be able to do it.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 4.2TDI
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a link to a thread on the subject from our own forum, very detailed reapair done by a member in 2010, I put it in the General Patrol Discussion archives when we first started them under General Information post #2.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/diy-modifications-accessories-40/rear-door-repair-step-1-a-57867/
Thanks GU2, this is actually the link I meant to use. Must have copied the wrong one.

A mate has offered to fix it up for me. At least he said he would give it a go. I'll let you know how it turns out. Haven't been able to find anyone who has done it before.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Does anyone know if the ARB brackets that allow you to mount a bigger tyre help or make this problem worse? I only run a 33 on the factory alloy.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,585 Posts
They probably do. I have one of those brackets and my door is cracked. Mind you 2+ tonne of boat and trailer hitting it may of contributed to the crack. :)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GU IV TI 4.8
356 Posts
Does anyone know if the ARB brackets that allow you to mount a bigger tyre help or make this problem worse? I only run a 33 on the factory alloy.
They couldn't possibly help the issue mate. More than likely will make it worse by moving the weight hanging off of the door further outwards and adding more stress to the weak point.

Mine's been cracked for a few months now with a 33 on a steel rim on the standard mount. I'm planning on strengthening it myself at some stage soon.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
They couldn't possibly help the issue mate. More than likely will make it worse by moving the weight hanging off of the door further outwards and adding more stress to the weak point.

Mine's been cracked for a few months now with a 33 on a steel rim on the standard mount. I'm planning on strengthening it myself at some stage soon.
Yeah i was thinking the extra leverage can't help. I only have the alloys (roughly 33 inch) on the back now but previous owner had 35's. I'm thinking of removing the mount if not needed.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
429 Posts
Hi all,

Discovered why it has been very difficult to close the large rear barn door properly.

Found this crack yesterday.

Have done a search here and found a company in Adelaide that can repair this. Too far to drive from Sydney. Does anyone know of a place in Sydney or its surrounds that will fix something like this?

Thanks.
Old thread but...

Did you ever find someone in Sydney to do this job??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts