Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forums, so hopefully I'm not duplicating an old post

the mav has a fan thats starting to show signs of cracking.

is there any way of replacing the fan and clutch hub without pulling the radiator out?

or are there any hints on how to do it without taking hours?

the manuals are pretty useless on this and looking into the engine bay isn't giving me any revelations either....

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
yes it can be done , 10mm open end spanner or a thin 10mm ring spanner , the open ender is easier if it good quality , just undo the nuts holding it on , done it plenty of times

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
No need to remove the radiator at all
Undo the fan and clutch pack hub together of the water pump,
Remove carefully not to damage radiator
Remove from car , then unbolt old fan replace with new fan
Then bolt back onto water pump pulley
Takes about 30mins to an hour all up
New fans can be had from anywhere from $60-$100 depending where from
The last one i bought was from a place called east coast 4x4.com.au
$65 delivered
Make SURE you get the correct TB42 fan,the TD diesel are different bolt spacing

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all

managed to get a new clutch hub for $50 and a new fan for $50 as well on ebay... once the new water pump and thermostat arrives I'll do the lot

I'm hoping this sorts out some of my overheating probs...

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
To reco the nissan fan clutch you need to drill a hole, tap it and use a grub screw to seal it.

And when you replace the fan and clutch, watch your knuckles on the radiator fins, they are like a grater!

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And when you replace the fan and clutch, watch your knuckles on the radiator fins, they are like a grater!
having had another look at the space between the radiator and the blades, I am pretty sure that I'll lose weight on the weekend by losing some skin...

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Just drop the radiator, prob a good time to wash it out and new coolant anyways.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
has anyone used Ultima brand waterpumps?

I've got a replacement ultima wp5010 waterpump and a replacement clutch for the fan. both are the correct models for the TB42 NA in my GQ and Mav, but the clutch fan does not fit onto the waterpump easily - in fact it probably needs a hairs width machined off the inside of the clutch housing or a hydraulic press to get it on

the pump also came with a paper gasket, I assume that everyone uses liquid gaskets like the factory pumps?

·
Registered
nissan
178 Posts
To reco the nissan fan clutch you need to drill a hole, tap it and use a grub screw to seal it.

Too true, luckly the diesels are re-oilable, really dont understand why the tb42 is different to the td42 but the viscous and fan is not interchangable. if anyones interested i have a near new fan and a davis craig viscous hub from my old petrol (tb42)

gfoo12-aust dont understand how the viscous hub doesnt fit onto the pulley / waterpump as it should slide onto the 4 studs (which mine where loose:mad:,now lock tighted in) then do up the 4 little nuts which is a pain to do in the engine bay:?:

I always prefer to use a proper gasket and aviation sealant for parts like that especially due to possible slight warping hot cold etc a gasket will seal/compress better in my oppinion.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Too true, luckly the diesels are re-oilable, really dont understand why the tb42 is different to the td42 but the viscous and fan is not interchangable. if anyones interested i have a near new fan and a davis craig viscous hub from my old petrol (tb42)

gfoo12-aust dont understand how the viscous hub doesnt fit onto the pulley / waterpump as it should slide onto the 4 studs (which mine where loose:mad:,now lock tighted in) then do up the 4 little nuts which is a pain to do in the engine bay:?:

I always prefer to use a proper gasket and aviation sealant for parts like that especially due to possible slight warping hot cold etc a gasket will seal/compress better in my oppinion.
mate I have NFI why it doesn't slide on as it should, but I'm getting the centre milled a couple of thou on saturday to resolve the problem.

all I can think is that either the waterpump or the clutch is not exactly built to spec :( both were bought using VIN checks though...

are you saying that you use both gasket and sealant for water pumps?

·
Registered
nissan
178 Posts
mate I have NFI why it doesn't slide on as it should, but I'm getting the centre milled a couple of thou on saturday to resolve the problem.

all I can think is that either the waterpump or the clutch is not exactly built to spec :( both were bought using VIN checks though...

are you saying that you use both gasket and sealant for water pumps?
bugger mate

Yes i use the aviation sealant (little white bottle with red lid), brush it on gasket both sides and on both surfaces works a treat!

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pump and clutch bolts line up, fan lines up on clutch

its only the pump spindle hub to clutch receiver thats the issue.

more irritating because everyone wanted my VIN to make sure they got the correct items.....

$chitt happens I guess.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took it to a head and engineering shop to have it milled. They said it didn't need milling (and they could have made easy money by saying otherwise)

the owner said thats they're an "interference fit", so the nuts will pull it down when tightened

For anyone in the ACT, Phillip Head Service, Salamander Cres, Phillip - todays helpful and honesty award.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts