Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a second hand silver TD42 from the wreckers, intending to rebuild it as Turbo motor. Had scored piston#2 and picked up the liner. When stripped and cleaned cracks found behind liner in the block. Have never seen this before but apparently not that uncommon I'm being told. Has anyone struck this before or know of anyone that may have repaired one that was cracked ??

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never seen one repaired successfully.

This happens generally though water loss and massive engine overheat coupled with refilling the engine far to soon with cool water.

I would put the block in the metal bin and start again.
Damn thats not what i wanted to hear. HM Engines aparrently successfully repairs them but i cant see them telling me how, or helping me recover mine. I'm not prepared to bin it just yet. Have an auto machinist friend trying to get some answers for me. He was uneasy about it all. Damn

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
My block has a crack at the back of number one and the front and back of number two.
First crack has been there for 170k. Other two been there for 15k.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Hey mate. As I just mentioned on pm. Don't listen to anyone boasting about how they can repair it. Metal has been compromised. Parent bores are a bandaid fix, liner will either drop again or cracks will form between cylinders again.

Don't so it!!! Don't do it!!! Warning warning Will Robinson. Lol

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Engine was "as is" from the wreckers so warranty expired as i drove out. There will be no way in hell i will pay to repair this if new bare blocks can be had for $2000. Can someone tell me from where ? And while i remember can turbo pre-comps be fitted to a N/A silvertop head ?

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
SMS diesel auburn Sydney. They have them. In stock?? Not sure. Yes turbo precoms can fit.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
616 Posts
Lindsay, I think zoltan was meaning SMS supply new blocks! Genuine nissan blocks that is? I recently bought the only one around till late this year or early next year.
I waited 11weeks for delivery.

I had No 4 crack liner at flange and go into crank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
SMS just import genuine blocks from what I'm aware of.

This is the first I hear of new blocks letting go. I know of liners letting go after machining an old block that were healthy.

Who exactly??

425OOT
Liner let go on a new Nissan block??

·
Registered
nissan patrol
616 Posts
So someone has dropped a liner from fresh brand new Nissan block purchased from SMS???

Anyone on here??
Nah nah nah! I think Lindsay is referring to full rebuilt kits including liners supplied by SMS. I heard a rumour a couple of this liners from there rebuilds had failure and investigations were in process..

Repeat not genuine blocks we have!!!

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
So someone has dropped a liner from fresh brand new Nissan block purchased from SMS???

Anyone on here??
No not with a new nissan block. Im talking rebuilds only.

only ever seen the need for a new block twice in 10 years, both due to dumping all water, and being refilled while still smoking hot.

I can think of 4 people in the last few months that have had the flange tops crack on sms liners on old blocks.
These 4 cases are the only time I have ever seen a liner crack. I have even watched an amateur drop the things into the block like a brute and still did not do any damage down the track.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Yeah sorry misunderstood. Yes I've heard of a couple dropping one due to bad installations of liners with cooling.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Well thats the debacle at the moment. SMS has said it was in-proper installation on all accounts.
Two people have had individual analysis done, and that said otherwise.

To me its to far fetched to have various people around the country all installing liners in the exact incorrect way to cause failures identical to each other. Especially when this type of failure is extremely rare to say the least.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
What confused me is how SMS plays a part. Do they install liners?? I thought they just supply liners. And new blocks come pre installed.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts