Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm away for work at the moment and the missus has just emailed me about some damage to our daily.
She was travelling along a sealed road that turned into an unsealed section that the council have been working on. Now because of the loose surface the car in front has thrown up the gravel and cracked the windscreen and put a cluster of stonechips in the bonnet.

This section of road had no traffic management on it or any warning signage at all and is a 100km/h road, normally they reduce the speed to 60 if there is a loose section from road works.

Just wondering if any one has experienced this and had any luck claiming it on insurance or even taken it to the council for damages.

cheers

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
1) you'd have to prove it happened on that stretch of road and that is impossible.

2) suck it up, debris on the road flicking up and chipping glass happens.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Provide evidence of the damage, location and date and time to your State RTA.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Read somewhere recently
The councils will void any responsibility or compensation unless they are informed of an issue
Same as potholes or any road surface damage
If ya told the council now its to late
They mite compensate damages after they know of any issue
So ring the council and report the issue,
Then the bastards can start paying for damages these sh*t roads cause

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yom is probably right, but you might have more luck by trying to git it happening through the insurance company cos if you make a claim they will be keen as to try to get the money back off some one. so if you can get them to try to get it out of main roads it might work better

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Tried it on myself...not a chance! The screen chips will cost about $40 apiece if not too horrendous.
Suggest you get them done and get touch-up paint for the bonnet. That's life.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Too close?

It sounds to me like she was too close to the vehicle infront. The stone would only be in the air for a second or two at the most, if she was allowing a minimum of 3 seconds ( 3 second rule ) then the stone would have landed before she hit it and bear in mind on a rough/gravel surface such as the one you discribe she should be allowing more than that. It would be a different matter if it was flicked up by a car going in the opposite direction.

Cheers Gordo'

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you have all pretty much summed up what I was expecting anyway, is annoying though cos the car is black and I like to have it looking smick, that why I prefer driving the patrol, I dont mind driving it into stones/boulders
She could have been too close, she wouldnt tell me if she was anyway but she is pretty good with that sort of thing and is a careful driver especially with the kid in the car, like I said there was no advanced warning for the condition of the road.

Will try my luck with the insurance company

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeh have insurance, Will it affect my no claim bonus/premium much you think? seeing as they cant really pin it on anyone.
Might be worth just fixing it privately

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Its a ***** of a thing. Its usually people going the other way not obeying speed limits, the low speed limit is because the tar is still sticky, which makes the gravel sticky, which makes any loose gravel with tar on it stick to your tyres and gain velocity as it goes around with the wheel and flick up at windscreens.

So keep good distance and for everyone elses sake, slow the f*** down!

Or tail gate the offender with a bullbar and push the c**t off the road.

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
I know what you mean, at the end of the day, it all comes down to each individuals type of insurance, and whats coverred in that damn fine print...

Ive got unlimited screens on all policies after doin 3 truck screens last year in a month.
really is worth it for me to pay the extra $68 for that.

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what she has explained the windscreen and chipped paint were separate incidents the first as a car was accelerating in front of her at a merge point and the other as she fell into a slip lane to turn right and a passing car on the left flicked the rocks somehow.
So just all bad luck really except for the dik in the merge that felt the need to accelerate from behind to get in front at the merge point.

Will definitely be looking into unlimited windscreen, that 3 in two months, 2 in the patrol (1 existing at purchase)

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Just digging this up as i had my windscreen replaced yesterday for free by the insurance company. I get one window a year for free, and if i need another i only pay a $100 excess and it doesnt affect my rating if it is accidental.

When i put the claim in over the phone they were quite specific about asking which section of road it happened, i asked them why it was important (i got the small crack on one road, and it went to a big crack after going over a pot hole on another road) and the guy said if it was caused by rocks on the road, they follow it up with someone. Not sure who that is though..

Anyway, 5 mins on the phone to them, 5 mins on the phone to o'brien, then instead of waiting for someone to come out i drove it to o'brien where they replaced my cracked, pitted original windscreen with a new tinted australian made one and 2 hours later i was back on the road (glue needs to dry or something). They put new seals etc in and it looks good. It might be my ears, but maybe the old ones seals were wearing and im getting less wind noise from the front.. could be a placebo though..

Something to consider - a while ago some local rapscallions must have thought it would be funny to through a rock through the rear window of my wife's car. Even though we filed a police report, her insurance company wanted us to pay an excess to claim the window being replaced. Because we didn't know who did it, they wanted us to pay for it. Almost had her in tears as we need it for late night runs to the hospital if the boy gets athsma, and we had no spare money to pay them the $300... When i spoke to the lady i asked her if a rear window is covered under our free windscreen replacement every year - she said yes - and she was happy for the claim to be lodged as accidental breakage. They were also happy to pay the after hours emergency service - weird huh.. spose they were just trying to recover some money..

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,823 Posts
I hate obrien they are the biggest scammers in the market and probably a reason why insurance is going up. I got priced 550 for a vz ute windscreen I found another private mobile mob for 220. I told them about the ridiculous price I was first given and they asked me to ring ob back and see if they match it and without hesitation they beat it by 10. I believe your first price should be a competitive not outrageous price.

·
Registered
nissan
113 Posts
yep it sucks to get a chip or crack in it but i pay for windscreen insurance, unlimited glass replacements per year and it covers all glass. Worth it for an extra $50 a years i think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts