Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been there a few times but never for a BBQ as we ate before or after getting there!. NExt weekend heading up there overnight to watch the sunset frrom craigs hut before heading back down to camp.

for the life of me, i cant remember if there is a BBQ up there or not!. I know there are shelters, but not sure about BBQ.

so, is there or do i bring my own up?

·
Registered
nissan
89 Posts
Just fire pit BBQ as i recall mate, no gas ones or anything flash.

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
Info from Trucksters link indicates that access to Criag's Hut is open Via circuit rd to monument track
or stirling summit rd. We were there a couple of weeks ago, and travelled in from Mt Buller via Mt Stirling. Fire pit was all I can remember being there also.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Info from Trucksters link indicates that access to Criag's Hut is open Via circuit rd to monument track or stirling summit rd.
didnt have a chance to read the link, but email our club got few weeks ago stated Circuit Rd wouldnt open until after March Long weekend.

I'll send a reply to the parks dude when I get home and see what I get back..
if its open thats good for a noobs camper trailer trip were lookin at.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info all, its appreciated. i need to check the roads, as we are planning on taking 16 mile jeep track past bindaree, then hitting the monument for the final climb up. hmm hope they are open, taking 3 cars on their first voyague up there!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how were the tracks generally up there a few weeks back? i assume the river's would of had some nice flow to them???

·
Registered
nissan
89 Posts
Pissing down in Wangaratta I would expect high country is getting heaps too so rivers could be fun.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Pissing down in Wangaratta I would expect high country is getting heaps too so rivers could be fun.
the Kiings Hut to Pineapple is already closed due to the old flood damage!
"Damaged and needs repair -Unable to cross 5 river crossing due to flood debris deposition including large rocks and silt and several holes/slumps in road." Planned reopening: Friday 11th March 2011 (which is before long weekend suprisingly)

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
I wondered how much rain all the High Country was getting with this last lot of rain. We were there from the 19th Jan to 26th Jan. Travelling from Mt Buller, we took Cornhill Road, Clear Hills Track to Craig's Hut, then down Monument track, Bindaree, 16 Mile Jeep, Bluff Road to Lovicks Hut. Then Cairn Creek Road, Brocks, The Knobs, Nobs, and Grimme Track onto Blue Plains Spur Track where we had the night on the flat on the top of this spur. Next day was Blue Plains Spur Track, Macalister River, Black Soil, Bull Plain Road and Glencairn Licola Road into Licola, and onto Caledonia River via Dingo Hill Track.

All the track around Criag's Hut were well formed, and whilst they were mildly steep in places were no real problem with The Knobs Track up past the helipad being the steepest and most loose gravelly of this lot of tracks. I would definately take a good sized chainsaw, as we had to clear a few smaller trees blocking these first lot of tracks, as well as one larger one. Grimme Track has a monster hill climb travelling the way we were going, and required about 3 hours winching to get to the top. Better mention here that there were only two vehicles in our convoy, and we were both towing one tonne plus camper trailers. I could see this track being a challenge without the campers, or without good offroad based tyres and lockers.

Not sure where you will be travelling to and from, but I hope the above helps out. The link below is to our trip report, it is a bit of a read of a few pages, but gives you a bit more info on the rest of our trip if it helps.

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=10930.msg162474#msg162474

We found the most accurate and up to date information on the road closures was to ring the Vic Parks people on the day we were leaving, as there was a few tracks listed on the web as closed, which we were told over the phone had been reopened. Things change rapidly down there for the better as well as the worse, so keep a good eye on the weather also.

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
how were the tracks generally up there a few weeks back? i assume the river's would of had some nice flow to them???
Forgot to mention that all the rivers were flowing quite strongly when we were there, however the deepest would have only been to the top of the tyres. But the signs of the massive flows of water was very evident, with massive log jams in parts of the rivers, and all the area either side of the rivers stripped.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sounds like we are in for a good time then....

so far our plans are as stated above, camp at sheepyard, then head out 16mile jeep, up monument to craigs, then explorer tracks from there... we are leaving options open past seeing craigs hut to allow for weather and track changes.

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
Look forward to some pics and trip information when you return home. Good Luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Forgot to mention that all the rivers were flowing quite strongly when we were there, however the deepest would have only been to the top of the tyres. But the signs of the massive flows of water was very evident, with massive log jams in parts of the rivers, and all the area either side of the rivers stripped.
Hi mate,

Just reading your trip report above & very informative it is,could you tell me what Cairn Creek Rd is like from Lovicks hut to Brocks Rd with a camper on.

Cheers Tim.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look forward to some pics and trip information when you return home. Good Luck.

gladly put pics up, but i wont be able to compete with your trip log... love it... and great to see a 2.8 battling up with a camper aroudn there too...well done!.

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
Sorry Rudic for the highjack!

Tim, we had no problem at all on that section of road with the campers on. It was well formed and in good condition. From memory nothing to write home about, or get worried about.

Just found a couple of pics of Cairn Creek Road and the sign at the intersection of Brocks Road which rates it for dry weather AWD & 4WD.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry Rudic for the highjack!

Tim, we had no problem at all on that section of road with the campers on. It was well formed and in good condition. From memory nothing to write home about, or get worried about.

Just found a couple of pics of Cairn Creek Road and the sign at the intersection of Brocks Road which rates it for dry weather AWD & 4WD.
Thanks for that info mate...Have you done Refriderator Gap Tk with a trailer,as i will maybe head up that one instead of taking Brocks all the way through.

Cheers Tim.

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
Thanks for that info mate...Have you done Refriderator Gap Tk with a trailer,as i will maybe head up that one instead of taking Brocks all the way through.

Cheers Tim.
No Tim, I can't help you out with that one sorry.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Up there last weekend, and noticed the hut is falling apart.

The 'panels' that are the wall next to the windows you can rattle them with your hand with no effort.. They actually rattle in the breeze! This is at the left end as you look at it from the carpark.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Up there last weekend, and noticed the hut is falling apart.

The 'panels' that are the wall next to the windows you can rattle them with your hand with no effort.. They actually rattle in the breeze! This is at the left end as you look at it from the carpark.
Those high quality governemnt contractors that built the hut for $500k did a great job eh!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts