Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many times your TD42 cranks over when it's cold before she fires up? Mine takes about 4 to 5 turns before firing into life from stone cold (I'm hoping this is not unusual...)
I'm getting the feeling this is gradually taking longer than it used too. I've recently replaced the battery, but am now wondering about the glow plugs. Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
If I let my glow plug light extinguish and i then wait for the audable click, it fires on the first rotation.

·
Registered
nissan safari
117 Posts
Yeh same. If glow plug light is off. The car starts instantly. ALthough the glow plugs have started to take a little longer lately.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,006 Posts
i wait until i hear the "click" of the glow plugs disengaging (it has to be a quiet area) then it fires almost instantly. Trusting the light can be a bit tricky.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Nah, I'd rather imagine my concept of cold... much better for those cold starts. :p

·
Registered
nissan patrol
142 Posts
My TD42 starts instantly after the glow plug light go out, even when it is cold. Of course cold is relative depending where you live, in the tropics +20 C is cold!

Canuck, those are Cool not Cold!

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
Like above, wait for the click and mine goes first rotation. If not maybe time for new glow plugs.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
I'm the same..... I used to just be waiting for the light to go out, and it would take sometimes up to 6 or 7 rotations to fire up.... But then I realised that the light goes about about 3-5 seconds before the glow plug solenoid clicks off. And it's right behind the dash so in most cases you can hear it.

Now it fires on first rotation everytime, through winter most mornings have been around 4deg.... still no dramas.

If you still struggle after that, try glowing it twice, if it works then you need new glow plugs.

TF

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,691 Posts
The old dash glow light indictor

As been mentioned lately,wait for the "Click"
Then starting should be fine
6-7 cranks,whats bad with that

Doubling the glow is a common trick
New glow plugs can be had for cheap (Look around)
When were they last replaced ???

·
Registered
nissan
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've only had the GQ going on 2 yrs and don't know the finer details of it's history (eg if/when glow plugs etc were replaced). Will check them with a multimeter today (after I buy one...) but I guess, for about $15 each per glow plug, I might as well do them anyway for peace of mind. Cheers for all the feedback.

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
Mikhail Nikolaevich, the old guy I bought my 'Troll from told me that a diesel should ever always start immediately on the first rotation, no matter the weather. Nikolaevich then snapped his fingers to illustrate how quick an engine should start.

Anything else, and either you are doing something wrong or something needs work. Before he turned my Patrol over to me, Nikolaevich spent a few days rebuilding the starter, as in his opinion starts were coming in about a quarter-second slow.

Say what you want about Mikhail Nikolaevich, he was very particular about maintenance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts