Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Mikhail Nikolaevich, the old guy I bought my 'Troll from told me that a diesel should ever always start immediately on the first rotation, no matter the weather.
That is about right. However, people in warmer climates can often neglect a mis-functioning glow system.

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
Hi Fellas. Most glow plug dash lamps go out way before the timer has completed it's cycle. Wait for the click and she'll be right. Good start even in "Brass Monkeys". Cheers, Derb.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
nissan
3,667 Posts
Well mine never alters winter or summer....glow plug light out, turn key and roars into life everytime. The ONLY time that changes is if i'm in the middle of the mountains and it's below freezing, then it cranks a LITTLE bit more but not much (good ole 24v).

It's that diesel jelly freeze effect if you know what I mean, I've seen some 4cyl diesels need to be jump started and/or kero added to the fuel mix for those trips. And also never NEVER leave the handbrake on...chock the wheels but thats OT.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
nissan
3,667 Posts
Sorry that applies to drum handbrakes because when you go to drive off the pads have frozen inside....makes a REAL NASTY bang if you try to drive off and they let go, thats IF you can drive off :p.

But I make it a habit to leave the handbrake off and chock the wheels anyway, sometimes the disc pads have lightly frozen to the rotor but nowhere as bad as drums.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
I had that happen just once with an old Chevy 4x4. I had gone through a bunch of deep water and slush and then stopped for lunch. It didn't take much reving for them to break loose. The I just dragged my foot on the brakes for a bit to melt and dry everything.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Slow starts are often battery / starter / cable related: check them out. The 24V guys have one up on those with the 12V systems re this.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,697 Posts
Hi glort, IMO it depends on the type of engine and running environment. Low fuel pressure on a petrol can result in vapor lock indicating a bad fuel pump (hot starts), poor cold starts on a petrol is a tell tale for fuel/ignition/compression/timing etc. In an piston aircraft engine poor cold starts are usually pilot induced but can be other factors already mentioned. Now we are chatting about indirect injection diesel cold starts. If all is good the engine will fire right away, if not then not firing immediately can be a tell tale, i.e. air in injection system, glow problems, compression, nozzle heath, battery health. In the winter I cannot afford to be cranking very long......

All 5 of my Safaris cold start on a touch of the key. My 2001 Xterra turns 2-3 strokes and has since new. Most of my petrol equipment starts on first pull, even the snowblower in minus ridiculous.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
Mine starts straight away. The only time it hasn't is when the battery was cactus (twice in the 10+ jears I have owned it) or when for some reason I turn it over without letting the glow plugs do their thing - usually after I have been driving the wife's car for a while.

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
I have never understood the compulsion people have with an engine having too fire up as soon as the key is touched.
Why is this necessary?

On big engines and race engines, they purposefully wind them up a bit to get the oil flowing or at least lessen the gap between the engine running and the oil pressure coming up.

I have never worried about my engines firing instantly, in fact in cold weather I often crank the thing without waiting for the glow light so it does take a few turns before it gets going.
As long as the starts are consistent and not overly long, what's the problem?
As I understand it, cranking during starting causes more wear on the engine than almost anything else. Shortening starting time keeps that wear to a minimum.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts