Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent 2hrs rewiring the trailer plug so I can go fishing in the morning:mad:
Wiring was connected into the lights with those silly little white clip joiners. What I found unbelievable was that not one, not two, but three of them had bad connections. Its only 3 weeks since I used the boat last time, and the time before that one of the wires was corroded off the back of the trailer socket, and the rest just snapped off when I touched them. Water must have well and truly gotten into the little suckers over Xmas, and upset the cart. They didnt even look that bad, but if you pulled on them a bit they would contact...not contact...of course I started at the plug and worked my way back, but it takes time. Crappy wire used and the clip locks are not that good when exposed to the elements. And I knocked my beer over:sad:

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Nissan supply a trailer plug harness that plugs into the original wiring connectors to the taillamps (no scotchlocks or cutting into wiring needed) that is not all that expensive (around $40 from memory when i bought mine in 2005)

Regards Don

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Nissan supply a trailer plug harness that plugs into the original wiring connectors to the taillamps (no scotchlocks or cutting into wiring needed) that is not all that expensive (around $40 from memory when i bought mine in 2005)

Regards Don

I just bought this of Nizzbits on this forum. $60 including the postage. Worth it for the quality connections and it avoids a load of tedious DIY wiring.

Grogey

·
Registered
nissan patrol
326 Posts
I just bought this of Nizzbits on this forum. $60 including the postage. Worth it for the quality connections and it avoids a load of tedious DIY wiring.

Grogey
When installing a trailer electric brake control unit, are the 2008 CRD pre-wired to the back and if so what colour code is the wire?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
53 Posts
Scotch-locks, I hate them, they are the worst thing you could use for joining wiring. Yeah they are quick and easy, but they don't take kindly to water, they cause bad connections and as they displace the insulation, they allow water to make its way into the wire and corrosion starts.

I was really pissed off when I got my new Patrol back from ARB to find that they had used scotch-locks on the bullbar wiring.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
All the wiring that i add gets soldered and heat shrunk. Takes longer to do, and costs more money but i figure it will last longer and not fail right when i need it :)

On the back of my patrol i have 2 plugs - one is the standard trailer plug which also has an extra power and earth pin) and a round plug with a rectangle offset plug in it. Im not sure what that is yet, maybe power for a trailer? Ill probably change it for an anderson plug and use it as a power outlet.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
When installing a trailer electric brake control unit, are the 2008 CRD pre-wired to the back and if so what colour code is the wire?
Don't think so mate. PM Nizzbits for confirmation.

Grogey

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Arwon

As far as i know (this is the case with my 2005 GU4) the nissan accessory wire harness connects to the rear taillamp plugs in the rear bumper bar to supply the trailer with stop/tail/indicator & earth

If you are fitting a electric brake controller (they normally have 4 wires) you will need to run the additional wires youself

Below is the most common setup

One to battery positive through a self resetting 30 amp circuit breaker
One to battery negative
One to the cold side of the brake light switch
One to the trailer plug (blue normally)

Brake controller brochures often refer to pre wired vehicles but i think this only applies to the US where some vehicles are pre wired ex the factory & you can purchase a adaptor harness that will allow the controller to plug into the Vehicle without running additional wires

With my trailer harness i ran a additional heavy earth wire from the vehicle trailer socket back to earth as the original wiring and the nissan accessory harness is fairly light

Agree with what others have said also regarding scotchlocks as most bullbar park/ind lights not working are caused by dodgy scotchlock connections

I used to work with a bloke years ago and when he was fitting driving lights he would only run one power wire from the relay to one of the driving lights and scotchlock the other driving light to this wire as well (dodgy)

Regards Don

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well all the lights were still working this am, but the fishing was very poor, appart from the one big bust up of course:(. But, if I was going somewhere to not catch fish, Hinchinbrook channel will be just fine thanks.
My wires are all soldered now, and well wrapped in good quality insulation tape. I have never used scotchies, and now I know that has been a good thing! I did see a spare plug up there where all this mess was. Now I know what it is. Maybe next time I will use it. cheers.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Well all the lights were still working this am, but the fishing was very poor, appart from the one big bust up of course:(. But, if I was going somewhere to not catch fish, Hinchinbrook channel will be just fine thanks.
My wires are all soldered now, and well wrapped in good quality insulation tape. I have never used scotchies, and now I know that has been a good thing! I did see a spare plug up there where all this mess was. Now I know what it is. Maybe next time I will use it. cheers.
From memory to fit the nissan harness you disconnect the original wire harness plug on both sides of the car to the lights and the nissan harness has two plugs on each side of the harness

One plug to fit the original harness into & a second plug to connect to the taillamp

I dont remember having a dedicated plug to plug the trailer harness into like the current toyota's have and as you have described above

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
From memory to fit the nissan harness you disconnect the original wire harness plug on both sides of the car to the lights and the nissan harness has two plugs on each side of the harness
Any tips on how to disconnect the wire harness from the tail lights? The plug seems to be very secure . Its a blue plug that connects into the light. I am trying to disconnect and dont want to damage the existing plug.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Any tips on how to disconnect the wire harness from the tail lights? The plug seems to be very secure . Its a blue plug that connects into the light. I am trying to disconnect and dont want to damage the existing plug.
Thanks
Yes I was doing the same thing yesterday, bloody fiddly plugs.

All the plugs seem to have slightly different shape and size with a little clip built in on one side that you have to push in to unlock before the plug will come apart, but at least they stay plugged together and sealed well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts