Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a batch of really bad diesel at Canarvon WA when I filled up on a trip last week. The patrol stopped 300 klms south of there and had to be trucked to the Nissan dealer at Geraldton.

The fuel was 20% mud, 20% water and 60% of something resembling diesel. Consequently the common fuel rail and the four injectors are "toasted". Hopefully the pump will survive. New parts are ordered by them for it to get it mobile again.

I wonder if this will fix the CRD bad fuel economy problem. Can only keep smiling :) as I could have hit a roo, or goat or tree or roadtrain or fence or........................instead.

One rail, four injectors plus labour $2700 as no warranty for damage by bad fuel.(fair enough)
You betcha I am talking to the fuel company about my costs.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Not good, but that's probably why it's a good idea to use one of those water etc trap filters when fuelling in the boonies. Slows down the process, but saves time in the long run.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
Not good at all brad! I've installed an inline water trap to my crd patrol , it's similar to the Cav filter and bowl setup but without a filter so there is no more suction load on the pump. But over 3000kms of city driving there is nothing but clean diesel in it . I'm wondering if the fuel flow to the pump is too much to let water settle in the bowl?? Or have I just been lucky with good fuel??? I guess those MR FUNNEL funnels would be a good idea so you can see what fuel is going into your tank. Very concerning this crd+ dodgy fuel topic

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Midwest Nissan in Geraldton telll me they see 12 cases of bad fuel a month. The stuff that came out of my tank is the worst they have ever seen.

Mud suspended in the fluid. Oh well, part and parcel of living in the Pilbara. Spoke to my Insurer this morning and they are going to cover the Nissan bill for the damage.

Be interesting to see the CRD economy with new rail and injectors fitted. Possibily a pump as well yet.

I do not think any water trap would have stopped this stuff. You would need a mud trap.

5 years I have been up here and no problem with Diesel until now. Luck of the draw.

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
Not good at all brad! I've installed an inline water trap to my crd patrol , it's similar to the Cav filter and bowl setup but without a filter so there is no more suction load on the pump. But over 3000kms of city driving there is nothing but clean diesel in it .
you will find now that low sulfur diesel will mix with water better than old type diesel , and therefore not as much water will be found in water traps these days as most of the water is imulsified ( for lack of better word ) and will pass straight through most filters. also its not always water in the fuel - but who knows what ever fluids / chemicals - most of the time it doesnt even look like water.
cheers

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
I agree with Ray, the Mr filter funnel that I have gives me piece of mind when travelling far from descent fuel suppliers. Under 100 bucks......Cheap insurance to any CRD owner or any other diesel vehicle.

·
Registered
nissan
11,123 Posts
id certainly be going straight back to that servo getting a fuel sample then going in and asking for the manager. politely saying you will be covering my damage bill wont you? court action mayby???

·
Registered
189 Posts
Spoke to my Insurer this morning and they are going to cover the Nissan bill for the damage.
Who is your insurance company?
I think I may give mine a call to see what the outcome would be through AAMI.

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
Who is your insurance company?
I think I may give mine a call to see what the outcome would be through AAMI.
I am insured with AAMI and rang them a while ago to check on this issue. They informed me that contaminated fuel is not covered. It would be appreciated if members who have cover for this problem could provide the names of their insurance companies, as it might be worth changing for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
Did you get the fuel from actually in Carnarvon, or from one of the roadhouses near'is'by.. ie. Overlander / Billabong...

I've got a Di but I'm heading up that way in the next week or so and it would be handy to know where to avoid.

With all the Flooding Etc thats been happening up that way lately you would have thought the servo's would have been keeping a close eye on their tanks for contamination.... You'd think that would make common sense, but pitty common sense isn't quite so common :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm heading up there in a couple of weeks brad, where dont I buy my fuel from.

Picked up a batch of really bad diesel at Canarvon WA when I filled up on a trip last week. The patrol stopped 300 klms south of there and had to be trucked to the Nissan dealer at Geraldton.

The fuel was 20% mud, 20% water and 60% of something resembling diesel. Consequently the common fuel rail and the four injectors are "toasted". Hopefully the pump will survive. New parts are ordered by them for it to get it mobile again.

I wonder if this will fix the CRD bad fuel economy problem. Can only keep smiling :) as I could have hit a roo, or goat or tree or roadtrain or fence or........................instead.

One rail, four injectors plus labour $2700 as no warranty for damage by bad fuel.(fair enough)
You betcha I am talking to the fuel company about my costs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I drove from Geraldton to home (Wickham) a few weeks after the flood in Carnarvon. I didnt fill up at Carnarvon I pushed on to Minilya Roadhouse before stopping for fuel and didnt have an issue with fuel from there. I was driving my D40 Navara 2.5L Common Rail diesel.

Thank god I decided NOT to fill up in Carnarvon or that coulda been me broken down in the middle of nowhere!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jeez that's bad luck. Where do they store their diesel - in a dam?
Nope but they had a massive flood around Xmas time so all their underground tanks were 2-3m underwater!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts