Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1196 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have discovered a little quirk with snorkel on late model vehicles. (diesels only at this stage but could be petrol variants too) Also it has been on 2 different vehicles.
If you have poor freeway fuel economy try this. Turn the head of the snorkel backwards and next time you are on the freeway is if your fuel economy has increased.
We have reasoned that the "fault" lies in the fact that the ram air effect is causing the MAF meter to "see" a higher air flow and that it tries to match this extra air with extra fuel thus causing poor freeway economy. City driving does not show this issue as there is not enough ram air effect to piss off the MAF.
If the fuel economy returns, don’t bother going to the Dealer ... they won’t have a clue. And don't go to ARB (for example) they too don't understand it (for now).
A simple solution is to slot out the rear of the scoop so that air can travel through it as well as down. This relieves the ram air effect
Hope this helps

Cheers

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Thats for posting robert!

I noticed almost instantly an increase in fuel consumption when I had a Safari snorkel fitted to my JK Jeep CRD. I will try this!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
to be honest i put a snorkle on my petrol 99 holden rodeo and ive noticed increase fuel consumption and ive always had the air ram facing the rear of the car. its 4" tubing too so it shouldnt be restricting it at all

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
CRD and Bad Fuel Economy

I know CRD and Bad Fuel Economy has been done to death but can I ask a question?

Those with a CRD and Bad Fuel Economy, who has a snorkel fitted, or who with Bad Fuel Economy does not have a snorkel?

I am extremely interested in the answers...

I have a Nissan one fitted from new.

Read this post down further as I believe I have the answer

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
well, I have no snorkel. I get low 11's to 12's L/100km. Stock standard... There's ya baseline!

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Thanks Mic, that is interesting information and does supply a baseline.

More CRD responses needed please.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Might want to restrict it to those without chips and big tyres, Brad, as this'll make it harder to decipher if the bad fuel economy is down to the snorkel alone!

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Hi Mic, The two answers that I have now are reinforcing what one smart cookie told me this morning. Knowing what he does for a crust I believe him without doubt, this is just reinforcing it for me and getting a bigger picture.

Need about 20 more replies......

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
134 Posts
Mic, Brad,
Had my chip installed approx 2 months ago and it has not affected the fuel ussage at all. More power but used the same amount of fuel.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Hi Mic, The two answers that I have now are reinforcing what one smart cookie told me this morning. Knowing what he does for a crust I believe him without doubt, this is just reinforcing it for me and getting a bigger picture.

Need about 20 more replies......
I know the thread ;)

I'm keen to know too, as i'm about to have a snorkel fitted!

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Whitetruck
Mic, Brad,
Had my chip installed approx 2 months ago and it has not affected the fuel ussage at all. More power but used the same amount of fuel.
Whitetruck, do you have a snorkel fitted to your rig?

·
Registered
nissan
89 Posts
Mostly getting 12,s/100 in my 2009 with no snorkel. Engine is bog stock.

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Whitetruck, I assume your fuel economy is bad then?

·
Registered
nissan
40 Posts
High 10's to high 11's, 2010 CRD Auto, totally stock. 10K on the clock.
Hope this helps.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Hmm, looking pretty interesting...

1 - 20 of 1196 Posts