Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all, i need some help with fitting my boost gauge please.

this hose a bit further towards the turbo has the Dawes valve on it.
is this where i put the 'T' piece for the boost gauge?

07 3.0lt crd zd30.

cheers for help

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Mate... sell the boost gauge on Ebay and put the money towards a Scangauge ($200 delivered)

Not only will they read boost but a heap of other stuff plus trip compute plus read and clear fault codes. They install in 30 seconds, totally plug and play (altho you need to use a tank of fuel to fine calibrate the fuel useage readouts)

Best $200 you can spend on a CRD instrumentation wise... add an EGT and yopu have everything monitored
ScanGaugeII - Australian Sales and Support by Ample Outdoors

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mate... sell the boost gauge on Ebay and put the money towards a Scangauge ($200 delivered)

Not only will they read boost but a heap of other stuff plus trip compute plus read and clear fault codes. They install in 30 seconds, totally plug and play (altho you need to use a tank of fuel to fine calibrate the fuel useage readouts)

Best $200 you can spend on a CRD instrumentation wise... add an EGT and yopu have everything monitored
ScanGaugeII - Australian Sales and Support by Ample Outdoors

cheers evil twin!!
have just checked out link (thanks also) it's $159.95 + $15 posted. christmas special, even better! open again on 4th. guess who'll be there first 2011 customer???:victory:
will go ahead with EGT which i already have(mounting where the factory GPS was)

cheers again:cheers:
andrew.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
cheers evil twin!!
have just checked out link (thanks also) it's $159.95 + $15 posted. christmas special, even better! open again on 4th. guess who'll be there first 2011 customer???:victory:
will go ahead with EGT which i already have(mounting where the factory GPS was)

cheers again:cheers:
andrew.
ROFL... never even checked the price when I copied the link...

I find the "real" coolant temp, avg fuel and MAP to be especially useful readouts and swap the 4th one around for whatever I'm doing... usually instant fuel or speed (corrected for 33's)

Great bits of kit...

·
Registered
nissan navara
109 Posts
Hey Evil Twin what is MAP again, I have the scanguage and agree it is brilliant.

Ando, how awsome is the intercooler, have you noticed the difference.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Hey Evil Twin what is MAP again, I have the scanguage and agree it is brilliant.

MAP is Manifold Absolute Pressure... IE local atmospheric plus boost which when coupled with MAF (manifold air flow) allows the ECU to suss out the amount of oxygen being jammed into the Squeeze part of the suck, squeeze, bang, blow process :D

If you need to 'compare' MAP to Boost figures deduct approx 14 PSI from MAP so 3O PSI MAP is approx 16 PSI Boost plus the 14 PSI of Atmospheric pressure (14.7 at sea level on a 22 degrees day for anyone pedantic).

For the non CRD dudes hereabouts some of the boys put in an absolute cracker effort developing "ECU talk" software which I would recommend to anyone who has performance mods on their compatible engines.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

gascoyd, i got the intercooler put in the same time as the 2-3/4" exhaust so i did notice the diference but not sure without EGT gauge not fitted first as i should have done:rolleyes:

will be fitting a temp switch to the fan underneath to hopfully stop premature failure. not sure yet on actual temp but i don't think it needs to be on ALL the time??

eviltwin...
with the scangauge's boost readout, from what i understand (bugger all really) it seems to only give you a readout of whatever altitude you input first up? what happens when you travel? do you have to go thru that seemingly long process to re-input altitude data on-going? :headwall:

not being that computer savvy i hope it is just a plug and moniter and not too much playing?

·
Registered
192 Posts
gascoyd, i got the intercooler put in the same time as the 2-3/4" exhaust so i did notice the diference but not sure without EGT gauge not fitted first as i should have done:rolleyes:

will be fitting a temp switch to the fan underneath to hopfully stop premature failure. not sure yet on actual temp but i don't think it needs to be on ALL the time??

eviltwin...
with the scangauge's boost readout, from what i understand (bugger all really) it seems to only give you a readout of whatever altitude you input first up? what happens when you travel? do you have to go thru that seemingly long process to re-input altitude data on-going? :headwall:

not being that computer savvy i hope it is just a plug and moniter and not too much playing?
What I like about gauges is that they are independent to the ecu. I have looked at the scan gauge and it looks great and will probably end up buying one, but they are relying on everything working properly.
My thinking is that the gauges tell you what is happening now

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
eviltwin...

Nah, they are plug and play pretty much. The instructions are well written and logical. Little bit of fiddling to set the % of compensation for the fuel consumption and a GPS or a known speed check to set the "true speed" but after that you don't really need to touch them.

I don't bother with adjusting for local atmospheric pressure because WA is pretty flat and anything higher than a pimple is a mining lease and shrinking by the day :D

If you do want to adjust for pressure then there are two ways...
Find out the local pressure somehow and adjust the scangauge (couple of button pushes - it is finding the local pressure that is usually more difficult)
OR
do it in your head - the pressure drops by 1/2 a PSI per 1,000 feet or 1 1/2 PSI per thousand metres ... so unless you are right up in snow country maybe just knock off 13 or 12 PSI if you are up in the local high country instead of 14 for Sea Level.

It's really easy to get your head around actually as all you need to know is to expect to see slightly lower figures the higher you go. Considering we are mostly monitoring for boost spikes or significant overboost situations its no biggee at all and short of the snow country hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
What I like about gauges is that they are independent to the ecu. I have looked at the scan gauge and it looks great and will probably end up buying one, but they are relying on everything working properly.
My thinking is that the gauges tell you what is happening now
I hear what your saying... I started life as an Instrumentation Engineer... but short of double redundancy for every parameter there is no easy way around it. Any instrument relies on "everything working properly" so their is no guarantee an external boost indication is OK either (doesn't hurt to have a bit of paranoia when dealing with ZD30's tho) :p

I mean EGT is VERY important on a modd'd engine but 99.9% of us only fit 1 EGT gauge and rely on it working properly and the probe being in the correct position. Indeed most people comparing EGT readings on here probably have similar actual temps in the engine but the "indications" can actually differ by up to 50 degrees or possibly more purely because their probes are in different positions in the exhaust and cabling issues.

Anyway, there is no way I would discourage people putting in the instruments of their choice but in a "one or the other" I would lean towards a Scangauge before an external Boost gauge because of the scangauge versatility but if anyone wanted to do both then no worries at all in my book :cool:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got my scangauge today, worked out how to set it up in around an hour and it works great!! have rpm, km/h, l/100km and boost on my gauge set up.

interestingly, on my way home from getting my cargo barrier installed my check engine light came on. perfect chance to use scan function.
came up P0401. havn't found out what it is yet but will search that soon.

asuming it's the EGR code which has been thrown up before?

will be fitting EGT gauge tomoz after 5 wheel balance, rotation and alignment. :D

heading up to northern flinders for a drive till saturday from wednesday so will have plenty of time to play with new toy. :driving:

thanks again Eviltwin for advice on scangauge i think it'll work out to be a real advantage on the road!

andrew.

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
I'm thinking of getting one too, especially whilst they are on sale.

does anyone know if they are about to release a scangauage 3 or anything any time soon? As i noticed that the new firmware can be upgraded and the extra addons added to the older scanguage 2's but not the original scanguages?

Cheers
Adam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts